Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: Flintknapping?
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 4:42pm

I had fun one afternoon on a beach on the Ilse of Wight. But since there is no flint near where I live and I did not have any tools, save that stone on the beach next to the flint, nor any instructions, I do not think what I made was any good. I did blunt the 'knive' I had made, to many children on the beach and no way to take it home, and kept it as a fun memory.

Willeke
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2005 at 3:21pm by Willeke »  

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 6:12am

I'm ok at it.  I don't knap to make the points and blades, the folsom types or solutrean spearheads or whatever else, I knap to make useable stone tools, so my flints look bad, but work.  I've made several things out of stone tools, and I prefer working with them sometimes, because they force me to slow down and take stock.  So, assess what you want to get out of it before you learn how - do you want to make working tools, or beautiful points that you can show off with pride?  Both are valid reasons for learning how.

IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 2:32pm

If you can't find flint, just use the bottoms of beer bottles or wine bottles and you can make small things like arrowheads. I made a few and while they aren't very good, they are a lot sharper than just a sharpened wood arrow point.

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 8:44am

...and lots of other rocks can make good points too, not just flint, obsidian and that kind of thing.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #5 - Dec 16th, 2012 at 1:59pm

Hallo guys, this is a quite old topic but I didn't want to start a new one, therefore I'm using this  Smiley

Thanks to some mornings of nice weather, I've been able to go for a walk at Portonovo, the rocky beach south of my home.
I've found TONS of flint, some very nice, some less, but I filled 3 big bags and I went home.
I begun knapping this flint some days ago, resuming my training in this skill. I proceeded slowly, making a lot of waste, and some mediocre tiny blades.
Today I went for it again and - miracle!
Ever had that feeling that the next blow will remove exactly that chip, which will just be the perfect size, and the core won't broke, and you can do what you have in mind, and this is not boasting, but just a certainty? You knap, your face's muscles relaxed, your hands moving fast, the raw material quickly becoming an object.
This happened to me today: I begun knapping at 4 pm, made some small blades, made some arrowheads, and then I took the worst core and begun knapping it. I saw a perfect angle and decided I'd love to have a long blade.
So I knapped, the certainty invaded me, and here's what I've done in a few minutes (really, 10 or 15 minutes of work!):

(1) is an amygdala, the tool I love the most; (2) is a knife blade, (3) is a smaller (and worse) amygdala and (4) is the longest blade I've ever made.
I didn't knap the cigarette, tough. It's just for comparing the size  Smiley
The blue amygdala is my first one.

And here are the other things I made today:

the branch was a cutting test for the amygdala.

my arrowheads.

Guys, I love knapping and that feeling.
Two things are fondamental: a good striker - you can see my two strikers on the top of the penultimate pic - and a perfect flint.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Dec 17th, 2012 at 10:07pm

Mauro, you are suspposed to clean the blood off the stone before you take the pictures, otherwise you will scare all the future knappers off.  It is remarkably easy to cut the snot out of your off hand and not even notice until you see the blood dripping, isn't it.

That's some nice hammer stone work.  You need a cow leg bone to make a pressure flaker or two from and you will be set.  I really like the looks of that red stone, do you know what type of stone it is?

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #7 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 4:59am

Thanks Bill, you're right about the blood but I was so satisfied with my stones that I decided my blood had to be my trademark  Grin

The red stone is the most typical flint of my region, a very smooth flint, imperceptible grain, but it was so widely used in ancient times that it's terribly hard to find a decent core today. I just had a small core the size of my fist, and all I was able to make from it was that arrowhead  Sad

You solved my doubts on the pressure flaker: cow bones! Now I had 3 big cow bones (well, 2, I destroyed one in an attempt to make dices) but they're really old, all fractures and scars. Do you think they may come in handy?
Should I give them a particular shape to retouch my flint?
The one I already used, despite its surface fractures, was compact inside, and very hard to work.
Any suggestion is appreciated!!!
Yesterday I knapped some more and I managed to produce a lot of small blades, will post pics soon  Smiley
Many thanks my friend!!
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 1:11pm

I prefer leg bones, they have the thickest bone in them.  Use the cracks to split the bones with wooden wedges, then grind them to a point.  They are easier to handle if they are long and narrow.  I always boil the bones after I crack them and before I start grinding, the raw bone can be very bad on your lungs and I usually don't know what killed the cow, so I don't want to take chances that something is still on the bones.  You will need to keep redressing your point on your tool, the end wears off quickly, have a piece of sandstone handy.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #9 - Dec 19th, 2012 at 2:05pm

My knapping goes on, here's what I've made 2 days ago:

Some more simple blades, together with older ones.

The core from which I took the majority of these blades, together with another flint core (red) and a small obsidian one.
You can see which traces this kind of knapping leaves on cores.

Two new burins (grey ones), because the red one is getting old and wearing out as I make holes in small stone pieces that I'll use as parts of a necklace.

A retouched blade, medium size.

My scrapers...

...my arrowheads, with some new ones...

...and an overall view of my flint tools, both new and old.

These are my flakers, sandstones ones are the strongest, while chalk ones tends to wear earlier, but I've found them more precise.
I'm working on the cow one because I really need a pressure flaker (I made the blue amygdala with one, and I can see how well it worked!).
Bill, I do have cow leg bones, and am going to follow your advice of boiling them, even if they're really, really old.
Don't want any more risks  Cheesy
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

GeneralMushroom
Descens

What I lack in feet, I
make up for in inches

England
Reply #10 - Dec 19th, 2012 at 5:17pm

At least you washed the blood off of this set before taking pictures  Grin

Looks good, I will definitely have to have a go at some point.

Matt, 21. Engineering undergrad, enjoys slinging!

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #11 - Dec 19th, 2012 at 6:39pm

Thanks, have a try if you can, knapping can be very satisfactory!!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #12 - Dec 19th, 2012 at 7:37pm

I'll take the knapped cigarette   Cheesy

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #13 - Dec 20th, 2012 at 8:46am

Mauro, would it be possible to send me some of those blades? i have no flint nearby, nor any good-knapping rock, and do not know anyone who drinks enough beer to make using beer bottles practical.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Dec 20th, 2012 at 9:04am

I've tried ceramic- thunder chert- and glass before. Haven't really gotten any kind of successfull product. I'd probably be able to make a hand axe if I had the right stone, but that's about it.

I just can't get longer flakes. Just ones about 1/4in long. And glass always breaks within a minute for me. Guess I'm not fragile enough.  Wink

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Chris)