primitive fishing
Sep 1st, 2005 at 11:30am

post whatever you like or know

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

I am Hellfire

Re: primitive fishing
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 12:03pm

Ill tell you one thing about primitive fishing. If you are in a spot where fishing is very important... PLEASE.. !.. dont screw with the bears.

Anyone ever hear of Timothy Tredwell? What a stupid idiot! He thought bears were cute and cuddly and thought it was all Disney, and he was stupid. He even told kids not to be afraid of bears. He stayed in Alaska for two years with his stupid girlfriend and they got mauled. Even better, it was caught on tape! Really nasty, listening to them screaming.. Do a google search, I hear theyre making his story into a movie.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 12:33pm

I don't really need to hear about a dumbass.  He should have known better - end of story.
  Primitive fishing:
  I've used nets, spears, arrows and line to catch fish.  I live on some of the best trout rivers in the world, and I take advantage of it.  I can't tell you my favourite method (but it isn't line fishing, for sure), but I like atlatls because they are surprisingly the easiest to use, I find.  In any case, do some of your own research.  Go out and fish, have a bit of fun.  It's a good way to find food.

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 1:19pm

you can take the husks of either black walnut or horse chestnut grind them into a powder and put them into the water then wait drown stream fish will start popin up because the powder sucks the oxygen out of the water Smiley

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 3:49pm

Yes, but that's not ecological or helpful anymore - other fishermen who use the river or stream will be annoyed, and it is a method that will take more than you need.
  If you want to take a lot of fish without poison, there is a technique called bailing which is very easy, but laborious.  You set up two dams in the stream in a flat part.  These must block the water flow.  Then you bail out all of the water from the blocked section, and pick the fish out from under rocks and in the mud.

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 4:21pm

the poision isnt that strong and i only sugest doing it for survival situations or if you have som hungry friends. also youre suppused to do it in a damed area or a pool

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 9:23pm

There is a weapon called Hawaiian Sling.

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 9:34pm

is it like the brazilian spear?

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #8 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 7:05am

Hawaiian sling is a tube with two rubber bands attached at one of the ends for propelling a fishing spear.It's like a speargun without a trigger.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 8:19am

...and it's not primitive.  It works though.  I made one after seeing Ray Mears in Samoa (where they use it.)  I used an ash branch, and carved a groove instead of making a tube.  You'd be better off using a bow or atlatl if the water isn't deep enough to swim in and see through - the Hawai'ian spear sling is intended for underwater use.

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 11:08am

yep thats it

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #11 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 8:32pm

A bow will be better. Smiley

By the way,can a bow be used underwater?

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 9:01pm

thier made for 2 dofferent things a bow would be used for fish that come to surface while a brazilian spear is for getting fish further down i would perfer the spear myself a lso i think if you shot a bow under water that the trajectory would get all messed up  but i am not sure

IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 10:52pm

Bow cant be used underwater. The limbs would be too restricted moving in such a viscous environment and beyond that, they would become about 30% moisture and then rot, eventually. Spears are good underwater, though.

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 10:59pm

unless your using a composite material

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)