Send Topic Print
eiriks saga (Read 7456 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
eiriks saga
Aug 25th, 2005 at 2:36pm

Just got done reading Eirik's Saga. The one about the Norse discovery of America.
  Apparently, the first encounter between the Vikings and Skraelings ( Eskimo) didn't go well. War broke out.
  The Skraelings used warslings, and one of the Vikings was killed by a stone lodged in the head.
  Also, the Skraelings used a bladder like device thrown from a pole. As it flew through the air, it made a loud noise that frightened the Vikings
   Imagine, the fierce Vikings scared by a simple thing.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Re: eiriks saga
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2005 at 4:41pm

Skraelings i don't think are eskimos. They ran into them in greenland before that. They were indians. Why did the war break out. If i remember right it was the vikings gave the indians milk and they were lactos and tourat? The indians thought they were beening posined.

What book is eirks sagas in? The icelander saga (book).

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2005 at 12:41pm

Skraelings are Micmacs, I think.  I have not heard of the Skraelings using slings - just stone tipped arrows.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 12:56pm

According to the saga, the Icelanders were trading with the Skraelings, when the bulls they brought with them broke loose and began bellowing. It frightened the Skraelings and they ran away.
   After that, the Skraelings decided that the Icelanders were dangerous, and that's how the battle began.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2005 at 12:25pm

Skrælings is the term used by vikings about the inhabitans of Vinland (Newfoundland).

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 7:39pm

Yeah, skraelings were the people we know now as the Micmacs. and my guess is that a reason for war and slaughter for the vikings probably would not have to be a particularly important one. Simply having something they wanted badly enough was probably about all they needed.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Æthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 2:45pm

The Skrælingar weren't inuits. Inuits aren't from Vinland. Ja, I think they were MicMac.

man, I love Freydis the Fierce, she's a goddess. I also love Bjarni Herjolfsson. Thats where my username was derived from.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Æthelbera  
IP Logged

Grautr
Descens

Waes thu hael

Maastricht the Netherlands
Reply #7 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 4:59am

Just on the off chance...are there any Asatuar in the memberslist?

it was so cold that year that everyones tongues stuck to their noses.

IP Logged

Æthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

Reply #8 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 1:26pm

I know Asatru and its customs well, but I have no particular set of customs I am tied to. Are you Asatru by any chance Grautr?

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Æthelbera  
IP Logged

Ian_Robertson
Tiro

Reply #9 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 11:26am

Quote:
The Skrælingar weren't inuits. Inuits aren't from Vinland. Ja, I think they were MicMac.

The Norse were in contact with Eskimo peoples--Dorset Eskimo in northern Labrador and Baffin Island, and Inuit in Greenland. Further south (in Vinland and parts of Markland) contact was almost certainly with Indian peoples--probably Beothuck, and ancestral Innu and Micmac. The Norse called all of these peoples Skraelings, without distinction.

I think it is likely that the sling-users were Eskimos and that references to noisy weapons incorporating bladders describe harpoons launched with throwing boards. As I have mentioned in earlier threads, objects identified as probable sling handles have been recovered by archaeologists from a number of Thule Eskimo sites both in Greenland and Arctic Canada.

Ian

IP Logged

chaosmage

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #10 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 1:23pm

I heard somewhere that some of the tribes in Newfoundland have about 1/4 of their blood shared with Scandinavians based on DNA tests. So I guess the war didn't last for long.  Shocked

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #11 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 7:28pm

I heard that to.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Liang_Jieming
Novicius

Ingénieur chinois de siège

Reply #12 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 5:10am

From "Eirik's Saga, in The Vinland Sagas: The Norse Discovery of America" translated by Magnus Magnusson and Herman Palsson and published by Penguin Classics in 1965 we find this passage, where native American warriors called "Skraelings" faced the Norsemen in battle.

"When they clashed there was a fierce battle and a hail of missiles came flying over, for the Skraelings were using catapults. Karlsefni and Snorri saw them hoist a large sphere on a pole; [one manuscript here adds "it was the size of a sheep's stomach,"] it was dark blue in colour. It came flying over the head of Karlsefni's men and made an ugly din when it struck the ground. This terrified Karlsefni and his men so much that their only thought was to flee, and they retreated farther up the river."

A further footnote in the book added that;

"This device has been compared with the ballista which ancient traditions of the Algonquin Indians describe."

IP Logged

Æthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

Reply #13 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 6:53pm

Hei Hei Hail Vinland!

Forward : ride the ocean's waves
be bold : glory to the brave

Deep the sea : above me eternal sky
freezing winds : cold to the limbs : the waves are high
sleepless nights : the bleak moonlight : the chill and damp
by morning light : a strip of land we see

Vinland : crossing the endless raging ocean
Vinland : follow the stars and the sign of the raven
Vinland : watch the horizon for the strip of the western land
Vinland : plough through the waves white wolfs at a raging sea

Being a blonde haired, blue eyed Newfoundlander myself, Ive done some research!
http://www.heritage.nf.ca/exploration/norse.html

WWW Æthelbera  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #14 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 10:49pm

Being a brown eyed dark haired skraeling, I've done   some research too. Wink          www.nativepeoples.com

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)