MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Re: eiriks saga
Reply #15 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 11:08pm

Quote:
Just on the off chance...are there any Asatuar in the memberslist?

I am.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Æthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #16 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 1:27pm

The inuit werent "skrælingar" I dont think. They came after to repel against the Vinlanders down through Helluland after the skrælingar and the Vinlanders had called a Truce.

I am not Ásatrú exactly, but I do have great reverence for the Nine Noble Virtues and the ancient gods.
Bigkahuna, you are skræling...I thought you were American. I didnt think skræling fought Vinlanders in America. I thought it was just through Helluland and Vinland and Leifsbodir.

Hei, I found this cool bit of information. Everyone should read here.
http://althistory.wikicities.com/wiki/Vinland

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Æthelbera  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #17 - Oct 11th, 2006 at 12:03pm

Found an interesting theory to what the Skraelings used.
  In the book Indian Tribes of the United States ( 1851) HR Schoolcraft describes a device very similar to the Skraeling ones. It was a sheepstomach, with a large rock in it. This was loosely mounted on a pole, and flung so that the stomach and rock flies off and hits the opponent.
  Since it said that one of Karlesefni's men had a large piece of flint lodged in his head, this seems like a possibility.
   So the Skraelings were possibly Algonquin? That would mean that the Norse penetrated inland, not just on the shore.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Æthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

Reply #18 - Oct 11th, 2006 at 12:18pm

Its most definite they went inland I think.
The Kensington Runestone is an example.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Æthelbera  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #19 - Oct 11th, 2006 at 9:41pm

The term "Skraeling" as used by the Norse, meant any indigenous people. With that as a basis, my people qualify as Skraelings.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #20 - Oct 12th, 2006 at 9:10am

Bjarn, the Kensington Runestone has been proven a fake. When translated, the language it translates into was a modern version of Swedesh, not the more ancient language.
  However, all up and down the east coast, and especially with the Iroquois, there are stoies of pale skin " giants" from far away. they had skin that was impermiable to weapons.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Æthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

Reply #21 - Oct 12th, 2006 at 9:07pm

ha, was it?
I guessed I never payed much attention to the American aspect. Im teh DumB Roll Eyes

Skraeling is "weakling" in old norse I believe.

WWW Æthelbera  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #22 - Oct 13th, 2006 at 11:40pm

Ouch!!! I knew we shoulda run all you paleskins into the sea. Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Æthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

Reply #23 - Oct 20th, 2006 at 2:17pm

The Inuit werent the weaklings though, heheh.
I heard somewhere that is was the disease the vikings brought that beat the natives down before the Inuit came to drive them out.
Im listening to Inuit music currently. Tongue

Ha, I live in a place where most people are swarthy ojibwe, Im the palest thing around here.

WWW Æthelbera  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark)