Send Topic Print
new spear thrower (Read 1998 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
new spear thrower
Aug 18th, 2005 at 2:33pm

Found a new toy in John Warry's Warfare in the Ancient World, by Salamander Press.
   Essentially, its an interesting form of the Atlatl, that was used in battle. A javelin had a small hole drilled through the shaft. A cord was tied in the hole, and then wrapped around the javelin. A small loop was at the end of the cord.
  The thrower would wrap the loop around a fingertip, then do an overhead throw.  As he did this, the cord would unwind, starting the javelin spinning, like a bullet out of a rifle. The thrower then had to let go of the loop, and allow the javelin to go on its way.
    As with the sling, timing was everything.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Re: new spear thrower
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 2:37pm

Or,  just put fletching on it and sink all your effort into the throw!

But, cool.

8)

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 2:39pm

This is not depicted with fletching. Apparently it's not needed, because of the spinning action

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 3:17pm

Although interesting....fletching would enable more speed as well as allow more focus on the accuracy of the throw....as less energy is borrowed from forward trajectory to impart spin.  At least within the range of human power.

Peace,

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 3:42pm

That's just arrow throwing, a sport described in Payne-Gallwey's The Crossbow.  It's also how the Saxons would put more power behind a spear thrown by hand.
  Tech, can you explain a little how fletching might add speed?  I would have thought that the drag effect would slow it down.

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 4:52pm

Quote:
"That's just arrow throwing"

Let's just call it what it is already, and be done with it......

It's 'Bow Snubbing' through and through.

TS

8)

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar)