computer help (Read 4758 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: computer help
Reply #15 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 12:09pm

And speaking as an IT (although I really despise that phrase) professional - if nothing else works, the absolute last course of action and I mean if you really really can't think of anything else to try or anyone else to ask - and I know this will shock you, I can barely believe I'm actually suggesting it - you could always, I know I know it's drastic, but it does need to be said.

[glb][u]Read the manual[/u][/glb] :-) [sub](sshhhh, don't tell anyone it's a trade secret)[/sub]

Actually in the case of wireless mouse and keyboard sets - read the back of the box, generally more info on there than there is inside.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #16 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 8:03pm

lost both manual and box. You see i did not hook this monster up, my little brother did, with my older brothers help.  And things tend to come up missing around my home.  Smiley

i blame the evil garden gnomes.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #17 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 1:20am

Being Douglas and his little brother?  Wink

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #18 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 9:47am

.....who told you... Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #19 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 10:39am

Well generally the cd that comes with the keyboard will also have a manual on it [i](damn, yet another trade secret let out - I'll be drummed out of the secret pc menders guild at this rate - damn now you all know there's a secret guild) [/i]

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #20 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 12:58pm

Ok, come on... admit that the only reason you're suggesting reading the manual is that it's the only suggestion that makes the industry look more competent than the general public. Everyone knows that , in general, manuals are written by highly skilled people who nevertheless have never actually used or had anything to do with the development of the product in question. These days, they are included as a concession rather than in the expectation of ever being opened.

If a product has been available for more than a few days, a quick web search will turn up far more than a manual will ever admit.

Wink

Matthias

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #21 - Oct 9th, 2005 at 7:11am

Matthias,
You forgot to add that the manual has been written by someone speaking a language that has no relation with english. Then it is translated by babelfish or one of its cousins into a totaly different language and from that it is, again by a computer, translated into English. Not checked or even read before a half literate, non English speaker has to convert it into print, adding to the problems, and the print has to be to small to read and so cheaply done that the results are a pain to the eye.

So why try to read a manual in the first place?

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #22 - Oct 9th, 2005 at 12:14pm

lmao - yeah but that's we we like to keep it quiet. And a web search will invariably turn up 10 answers that will make things worse for every one that makes them better :-)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner)