Send Topic Print
computer help (Read 4820 times)
Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
computer help
Aug 11th, 2005 at 11:36am

As you may know i know next to nothing when it comes to computers. So i was wondering how do you guys make it so text covers up links. Like if i wanted to post a link i would do something like this:
http://www.slinging.org/

but you guys can somehow cover that link up with words like
click here for home

how do you guys do that? also you guys put pictures beside the little folder that shows what kind of topic this is. how do you do that?

thanks
here's hoeing i figure out how to work a computer soon

Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: computer help
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2005 at 12:07pm

Douglas,
If you find a post with a thing you like to copy click on quote and you see how it is done.
In case of the covered links I went to a post by Dale and did a bit of copy and paste.
In an other thread I made a link like that and I will use that as my sample for you.

It looks like this:
Quote:
You can find it in the
Baen Free Library
, which is a good place to try out books.

But when you hit the quote button you will see Code:
You can find it in the [url=http://www.baen.com/library/][u][color=Blue]Baen Free Library[/color][/u][/url], which is a good place to try out books. 

So what you do now is looking for a post with a link, paste the link with all the hidden things to your post and then you change the hidden things to what you want it to be.

First, you look for the url, the part that tells the computer to go to the right place. An url normaly starts with "http://" and holds something like ".com" or ".nl" or in ".jpg" for a picture. Above here you see that that bit is within square brackets, [] so you change the bit between the brackets to the link you want to use. Like http://www.slinging.org/
And when you see the link you see a little bit of text which is blue and underlined. You need to change that bit of blue text too, to make people understand what your link is about.

The Code:
[u] 

makes in underlined and the Code:
 [color=Blue] 

makes it blue.

All these codes have an end code too, normally the same letter (combination) with an / before it. Here you see all of them together Code:
[/color][/u][/url],  

Normaly you do not see all the codes, I had to use the code "show and ignore code" to make them visible.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say. And whatever you do, use the preview button below the type your text window, to see what you are doing.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2005 at 12:40pm

Yep, Dale "the archivist" ushered in a new era here at slinging.org concerning nice formatting of posts. (Bravo Smiley) I'm happy that others are picking up the habit as well. The named url link isn't obvious from the "button" tools - you have to dig through the YaBB documentation a bit... As Willeke mentioned -
Code:
[url=link]name[/url] 

is the general format. Setting the font to blue and underlining is a nice (somewhat old-school Wink) way to emphasise that it is a clickable link.

There are a bunch of other non-listed formatting tools as well, but in general, I think they are better off left well enough alone!

Don't forget to preview your posts before you send them, a very good way to double check the formatting of your tags. If the code breaks somewhere, you can usually sort it out by which parts work - my most common mistake with the named links is forgetting the final /url tag... (oh and it is good place to check your spelling as well Wink, honestly, if you look at the number of my posts that have edits after the fact, you'll see that my first-cut edit is usually pretty bad as well Tongue)

Matthias

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2005 at 10:45am

ok lets see if i have this.

test

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2005 at 10:45am

hey it works!  Grin Grin thanks for the help!

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2005 at 4:58pm

I knew you could do it.
(A guy that gets his driving license in one can do anything he sets his heart on Wink)

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2005 at 9:15pm

i dont know i think it was luck and a good driving teacher.  Smiley

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #7 - Sep 18th, 2005 at 9:48am

ok think you guys can help with something else?

i have this fancy new wireless key board and it has hotkey buttens right on it, like a home page button that takes you to a page called 1 when you hit it. any way to set this hot key so that it will take me to slinging.org?

thanks

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Castle7

I'm on fire today!!

GR, Michigan
Reply #8 - Sep 18th, 2005 at 11:38am

You'll have to find the preferences or options for your keyboard.  Search your start menu and you should find it. Do you still have the owners manual? That will help alot.
I've never had a wireless keyboard before, but have had hotkeys. This is how I set them. But if you can set your hotkeys, I'm pretty sure this would be the way to do it.
Hope it helps.

If I build it, they will run.&&-Mikeel&&&&

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #9 - Sep 18th, 2005 at 12:14pm

When working with anything wireless,  I like to spin and click my heels three times while verbally demanding my wishes come to fruition.

Must be the sonic and RF wave interactions that make it work or something.

Peace,

TS

P.S.  And if that don't work,  I might give in and click on the start button at the lower left of the windows desktop and scroll up to "settings" or "control panel" and then click on the keyboard icon and see what I can find.

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #10 - Sep 20th, 2005 at 4:44pm

gave it a shot but could not find too much.  Smiley that heel clicking thing did not work ether.  Undecided and i had high hopes for that too.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #11 - Sep 20th, 2005 at 6:55pm

Then this IS serious!  I can only offer one last bit of sage wisdom passed down from the ancients....

google

Shhhhh....you didn't hear it from me.

Peace,

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #12 - Sep 21st, 2005 at 11:50am

Douglas,
If you go to the start button again, (lower left corner of your screen,) you may be able to choose something like "all programs" Open that and you see almost all programs by name. Look for the name that is like the brand name of the keyboard. (Mine is hidden under Touch Manager.)

In my computer there is in the lower right hand corner of the screen a couple of icons, one of them is for my hot keys. If I click on it, it gives me the controle functions of those keys.

Willeke

IP Logged

Castle7

I'm on fire today!!

GR, Michigan
Reply #13 - Sep 21st, 2005 at 1:48pm

Can you give us the name of the brand and model of the keyboard?

If I build it, they will run.&&-Mikeel&&&&

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #14 - Sep 22nd, 2005 at 7:57pm

Smiley

i figured it out. well my brother figured it out Smiley but its done thanks for the help.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark)