Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Atlatl problems (Read 2856 times)
Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Atlatl problems
Aug 9th, 2005 at 6:02pm

Well I made an atlatl today, but it doesn't work. Angry I took a branch and carved it down. Here are the pictures of the completed thrower:
The hook at the end is supposed to go into a depression at the end of the dart. 
Here is the end of the dart: ...
The little depression at the is 0.5".
When I shoot the thing, the dart sort of just does flips in midair, goes about 25 feet, and then doesn't land point first. Not very effective.  I'm not sure if the problem is with the dart or the atlatl.  The atlatl is 20.5" long and the dart 66". Anyone know what's wrong? Thanks.

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Re: Atlatl problems
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2005 at 12:21am

your dart looks huge diameter wise. Does the dart flex in air? If the dart doesn't flex it will not work right. That was one of the reason that when people tried to remake an atlatl they messed up. The dart flex is what give the dart the power.

I notice , also, that your fleching looks like it is made of wood? Try fu-fu flechings from modern archery and put it on your dart.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2005 at 7:57am

i think your fins are pretty small. compared to my darts they are tiny! I dont see a problem with the thrower at all.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2005 at 11:08am

Well the fins are made out of  Roll Eyes duct tape. They are small, but the dart seems to go good when I throw it by hand. I think the problem might be that there isn't enough forward weight. I checked the balance point, and it was towards the back of the dart.  I think thats bad. What kind of weight should I put on? I wish I had flintknapping skills, but I don't, so a stone point wouldn't work.

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2005 at 4:17pm

junk sheet metal cut into the shape of a arrow head would work for most aplacations. I have made one and they are very easy to make. And their sharp too.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #5 - Aug 10th, 2005 at 10:17pm

Hey good idea! I have a lot of that too. Cool.

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

me

I sling therefore I am.

Rowlett, TX, USA
Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2005 at 11:41pm

I second Gun's idea, the dart looks way to thick diameter-wise. Hand thrown spears are supposed to be thick
and rigid , but an atlatl opererates on different principles and
the dart "has" to flex to get the desired power. Where's english when you need him?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 11th, 2005 at 6:28am

Unless you throw really hard, a stiff dart won't fly.  The problem with the atlatl is that you need to develop a technique and continue to use exactly the same amount of power each time, or your throws will suck, be inaccurate, short range... etc.  A stiffer than average, but perfectly serviceable, dart, will throw beautifully if you give it lots of power each time, but slacken up even a little bit, and the dart will end up with the tail down, and might even spin.  Similarly, a thin dart thrown hard will be difficult to control.  Basically, if the dart doesn't work, try throwing at different strengths, and then think about changing the dart.
  And if you don't have a fairly heavy head, the dart might not flex to it's full potential.  Try adding a great big blob of blu-tac.

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Aug 12th, 2005 at 10:26pm

me thinks you need to check your F.O.C.

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner)