Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: Different Slings
Reply #75 - May 24th, 2006 at 2:49am

Welcome susanmomof2,
Nice to have more textiles people here.

I for one would like to see those cord instructions.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #76 - May 24th, 2006 at 3:53am

SusanMomOf2,
Can you twist your whole forearm?  If you are able to twist your forearm so that your hand is palm-up, then you will be able to use the Apache overhand technique.  There need not be a snap of the wrist in that technique.  There also is practically no wind-up -- you just hold your arm at your side, away from the target, and then swing your whole arm up and over, from the shoulder.  The trick is, it is not your shoulder muscles that are providing the force; while you are bringing your arm up and over, you are also twisting your torso around and so the force comes mostly from your torso and abdominal muscles.  The style is not great for distance, but it is good for accuracy.

Of course, at the beginning nobody is any good, so give it some time.  But you already know this, you've probably watched your husband flub a few.  My wife certainly has watched me send a few where I did NOT want them.  Tennis balls into the middle of a blackberry patch, in the middle of her garden, within a foot of the top of my head...

Larry Forsyth
wrote a good description of the technique, along with instructions for a braided sling and some stories about the Mescalero Apache gentleman from whom he learned the sling.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #77 - May 24th, 2006 at 1:40pm

Interesting, how you can get a wrong idea in your head and not be able to shake it.  I've had pictures of (unworkable) looms in my head for years (not that I'm a weaver, I just like figuring out how gadgets work).  Never could figure a good way to draw half the threads up and half down, to make the space (the shed?) for the shuttle and weft thread to pass between.  Complicated things with threads on spools on moving arms, up and down and getting in each others way.

It never once crossed my mind that you can have the warp all gathered together at either end, and draw the strings up/down IN THE MIDDLE!  Which is what the heddles do. Thank you, SusanMomOf2AndTeacherOfMe!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, Chris)