David

Per Humilis Funda Sic
Validus Gigas Eram Interimo

Upstate NY
Re: Different Slings
Reply #60 - May 22nd, 2006 at 4:58pm

Hey these are my slings

And from top to bottom are
-Two leather strips for a pocket and paracord w\ a wrist strap (I made this one for chucking BIG rocks lol)
-A medium length braided hemp one of my own design (I think, although somebody may have already thought it up)
-My first sling, a basic leather and braided sinew one
-A really tiny (13 in folded lol) one of woven yarn (not enough yarn left = really small sling)
-A the tried and true braided balaeric with leather covering the pouch area for wear protection

I like making slings using different materials **almost** as much as throwing rocks with them!

I belive in Miracles, you sexy sling, you sexy sling.
davnasca  
IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #61 - May 22nd, 2006 at 5:40pm

Awesome slings Davaid

how did you make the woven one? Actual weaving on a loom? or something like that?

IP Logged

David

Per Humilis Funda Sic

Upstate NY
Reply #62 - May 22nd, 2006 at 6:00pm

Yah I made a loom specifically for sling making. Ill try to post pics of it later. Ive been meaning to get around to making one of a serviceable length but havent had the time.

davnasca  
IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #63 - May 22nd, 2006 at 6:19pm

that is quite awesome

im really interested in seeing what that loom looks like and how to make one of my own

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #64 - May 22nd, 2006 at 8:05pm

My spouse the weaver would love to hear how you did that particular sling.

Marc Adkins

Quote:
Yah I made a loom specifically for sling making. Ill try to post pics of it later. Ive been meaning to get around to making one of a serviceable length but havent had the time.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #65 - May 22nd, 2006 at 8:26pm

that leather one with the flower shaped hole in the pouch is really cool Tongue

Taiki  
IP Logged

David

Per Humilis Funda Sic

Upstate NY
Reply #66 - May 22nd, 2006 at 8:45pm

OK, here are the pics I promised:

Pic 1-Loom un warped from above

Pic 2- Close up of one side of the loom

Pic 3- Loom from the side (showing height of the hooks)

Pic4- Loom warped from above

Pic 5- Loom warped from the side

Basically its just a piece of  two by six with those blocks with the grooves cut in them (to hold the string in place) and the channel (to clamp the strings down) carved in placed on the ends.  In hindsight, the hooks were useless,  I tried to get them to make the pouch have a dish to it but the effect was negligable. I think that just pegs to spread out the strings would work much better.

The method of using the loom is much easier than discribing it. After you 'warp' it (put the longer strings that run parallell to the long side of the loom) in, you weave the other string (called the 'wheft' sp? ) over under over ect. after the pouch has been woven you just braid the cords from the remaing part of the wheft.

A few hints-------
You must have an odd number of warp strings to weave properly

and I used c clamps to clamp the dowel down to hold the strings.

I hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions. Or mabey Ill start a thred (or maby write an article?)  on my loom \ weaving when I get the time.

davnasca  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #67 - May 22nd, 2006 at 9:19pm

Ok this is coming from the spouse as I type.
" Crude but effective Rigid Heddle loom, have him contact me offlist, I have some suggestions on how to make his weaving more Effecient"

so Contact me off list David and I'll give ya her e-mail addy.
At the same time I'll try and get her to register for this site

Marc Adkins

Quote:
OK, here are the pics I promised:

Pic 1-Loom un warped from above

Pic 2- Close up of one side of the loom

Pic 3- Loom from the side (showing height of the hooks)

Pic4- Loom warped from above

Pic 5- Loom warped from the side

Basically its just a piece of  two by six with those blocks with the grooves cut in them (to hold the string in place) and the channel (to clamp the strings down) carved in placed on the ends.  In hindsight, the hooks were useless,  I tried to get them to make the pouch have a dish to it but the effect was negligable. I think that just pegs to spread out the strings would work much better.

The method of using the loom is much easier than discribing it. After you 'warp' it (put the longer strings that run parallell to the long side of the loom) in, you weave the other string (called the 'wheft' sp? ) over under over ect. after the pouch has been woven you just braid the cords from the remaing part of the wheft.

A few hints-------
You must have an odd number of warp strings to weave properly

and I used c clamps to clamp the dowel down to hold the strings.

I hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions. Or mabey Ill start a thred (or maby write an article?)  on my loom \ weaving when I get the time.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

susanmomof2
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #68 - May 22nd, 2006 at 9:54pm

Good evening!  Really like your creativity in making the loom David.  I am going to try using my inkle loom to make cord at some point (as I jump 20 ft because marc is slinging empty plastic easter eggs in the house at the cats). 

It look likes you used sinew. Have you tried anything else such as linen or silk thread? 

Keep up the good work.  Susan  Cheesy

IP Logged

David

Per Humilis Funda Sic

Upstate NY
Reply #69 - May 22nd, 2006 at 10:23pm

Thanks for the compliments! And no Ive only tried yarn on the original sling and just warped this one in sinew. I would like to know about linen and silk thred though. Where can you get it,  how will it wear, strencth ect.

Any advice ould be appreciated!
Thanks

>David

davnasca  
IP Logged

Coops
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #70 - May 23rd, 2006 at 12:47pm

Nice Slings!
When using that loom do you start from one end and weave all the way to the other, or do you weave from both ends then join in the middle?
Coops

IP Logged

David

Per Humilis Funda Sic

Upstate NY
Reply #71 - May 23rd, 2006 at 2:53pm

Ive only used the loom once so far and wove from one side to
the other, and then slid it off the hooks. But your idea of meeting in the middle would probaly work out better! Ill try it next time. THANKS.

>David

davnasca  
IP Logged

Coops
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #72 - May 23rd, 2006 at 5:24pm

I was not deliberately trying to improve your method of weaving, I was just curious of how you got around the hooks in the middle (they have always posed so much of a problem that I have not got as far as finishing one pouch) Thank you for educating me, I think i'll try and make one your way.

Coops Grin

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #73 - May 23rd, 2006 at 7:39pm

OK, I'm going to have to change my name to "CuriousGeorge" ...  What is a "heddle"?  What is an "inkle"?

Hi, SusanMomOf2!  Welcome to our little refuge from the "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune!"  Er ... maybe just from the arrows ... no that doesn't work either, we've got archers and bowyers among us.  Wish I could get my wife to let me sling in the house, but ever since I dropped a snowball in between her and a friend she was talking to ... just about nose-to-nose ... Hey, it was an accident, it wasn't supposed to slip out of the sling! ... No, she didn't buy that excuse either.  At least she still lets me sling outdoors.  As long as she is out of range.

Found two web sites dealing with weaving:
  http://www.inkleweaving.com
and
  http://www.woolery.com

There's lots more out there, but these two were readable (that is, a total non-weaver is starting to get some idea of how it works).  Thank you for expanding our horizons!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

susanmomof2
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #74 - May 23rd, 2006 at 9:21pm

Alright lets try to answers this so I make cents.  Smiley

"What is a "heddle"?---- part of the loom (duh!!) in David's case the metal hooks In my case the part of the loom that goes up and down that has the thread threaded thru

What is an "inkle"?--- type of loom, shaped like the letter F. I have got to find the digital camera to take pictures of my looms and our slings

Hi, SusanMomOf2!  Welcome to our little refuge from the "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune!"  Er ... maybe just from the arrows ... no that doesn't work either, we've got archers and bowyers among us.  Wish I could get my wife to let me sling in the house, but ever since I dropped a snowball in between her and a friend she was talking to ... just about nose-to-nose ... Hey, it was an accident, it wasn't supposed to slip out of the sling! ... No, she didn't buy that excuse either.  At least she still lets me sling outdoors.  As long as she is out of range.---
-------Thanks for the welcome. No I don't normally let Marc or the kids use the slings in the house. Marc took advantage of me being distracted by David's loom on the list to "play" with the cats.  Scared me to pieces. Of course now he does it for fun/to make me crazy.  I am looking for forward to playing, I meaning slinging. My interest is more in making the slings than using them. I can't twist/turn my wrists so using a traditional sling will be difficult. Considering trying the staff sling. 

Found two web sites dealing with weaving:
  http://www.inkleweaving.com
and
  http://www.woolery.com

There's lots more out there, but these two were readable (that is, a total non-weaver is starting to get some idea of how it works).  Thank you for expanding our horizons!-------Both great sites for both the beginner and the novice to the wonderful world of weaving.  I am also trying to find my material on cord making that dates back to the Viking era. As so as I find it I will pass it on. 
FYI I have used pieces of my weaving to hold down a military gp medium liner in a gale.  Weaving is very very strong, easy to clean and almost indestructable.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)