Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Different Slings (Read 24624 times)
Coops
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Re: Different Slings
Reply #45 - May 4th, 2006 at 5:15pm

Yes the finger loop is an eye splice. The release knot is a   carrick knot with a wooden peg inserted through it. Google the knot name, if you have no sucess try carrick mat. Thanks for the appreciation of my sling!  Cheesy
Coops

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #46 - May 4th, 2006 at 5:19pm

very very nice sling Coops.
I will definately have to reattempt a netted pouch after seeing that one.
The first 2 I made didnt exactly look so nice( and definately didn't look like that Smiley )

IP Logged

Coops
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #47 - May 4th, 2006 at 5:24pm

Thanks fi3l2, it is not the same netted style as the one shown in the "how to" section. I find it easier to make this style and without all of the knots is seems to work better. The advantage of this style is that you can use thicker cords for the netting which makes it more durable. Have you posted a picture of your sling yet?
Coops

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #48 - May 4th, 2006 at 5:42pm

ive posted numerous photos of my slings, ranging from plastic bag ones all the way to crocheted(hell even plastic bag crocheted ones)...

if  you talking about the netted 2... lol i didnt even bother taking pictures of them... they didnt work well and didnt even look nice..

hence gotta try again
but i will try the method you used instead.. looks much easier and much more sturdy as u've said

IP Logged

Coops
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #49 - May 4th, 2006 at 5:50pm

Cool! I will have a search for some of your designs. Can you explain the method of creating the cords for a crocheted sling? Surprisingly they seem to be the hardest part to make! I have a crocheted pouch that a friend made me, but I had to tie on the cords.
Try this netted pouch design, you can obviously adjust the size of the loops depending on how big the ammo you use is. (you don't want it to slip through the netting! lol)
Coops Smiley

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #50 - May 4th, 2006 at 9:54pm

well when i make my crocheted slings, they are all one complete piece. I make the cords as well as the pouch from essentially one piece of very long string.

to attach cords to an already made pouch? well... what you could do is create the cords just as you would start a retention cord.

Take your pieces of string(or jute or sisal or anything) that you are goin to braid to make your out of, then basically hand stitch them inbetween the stitches of the crocheted pouch on one end. Pull the strings all the way till they are evenly in the middle and start braiding. this will essentially create a loop that fits into the edge of the pouch quite nicely (in theory).  I will actually start on a pouch right now and test it out.
If it works good ill post up some pics.

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #51 - May 4th, 2006 at 11:21pm

Here are a few pics of the crocheted pouch with 3 straid braids for cords
from start to finish including the crocheting of the pouch took me under an hour easy
not too bad

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/pad178/pouch1.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/pad178/pouchend2.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/pad178/pouchend1.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/pad178/cpsling.jpg

sry didnt want to take the time to resize the file.... im kinda lazy this week ... finals and all  Angry

any questions lemme know

IP Logged

Coops
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #52 - May 5th, 2006 at 2:30am

That is a very clean design! I think I will try that idea, but maybe with slightly thicker cords. I am a slinging newbie and I feel I get better control with thicker cords. I'll get my friend crocheting soon lol!
Coops

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #53 - May 8th, 2006 at 6:24pm

fi3l2
I like the way you attach the cords to the sling. if I ever make  a knitted or crocheted pouch I will use the same method
very nice spicing coop. I must admit the splicing is starting to intrigue me. It seems To be a easy way to make a very pretty yet highly funtional sling

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Tito

Australia
Reply #54 - May 14th, 2006 at 11:39pm

great pics fi3l2.
how do you crochet a pouch? i've never made one and im kinda interested to know how its done Undecided

Tito

That's one small sling for David. One giant headache for Goliath.&&The safest place to stand when I sling, is right in front of me!

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #55 - May 15th, 2006 at 1:34pm

thanks lobohunter
that was my first attempt at using a crocheted pouch and I have to say, I love it
i love the way it forms to and holds any type of ammo i put in it and its a lot better than having the thick air resistant crocheted cords

Tito, making a crocheted pouch is actually a quite easy task once you know the very basic crocheting stitches. if you want to start right away, look up foundation stitches, single stitch, decrease and increase. get yourself a hook (larger ones make material much quicker and are easier to start with) and some yarn.
a great place to learn is at  crochet.about.com . This is where i learned (i am self taught).

You can make one with many different types of  pouches , for example... With varing between single and double stitches, you can make a very deep pouch as in this link by Willeke
http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11426956...

or a very simple and quick one using double stitches(makes it in almost 1/2 to 1/3 the time).

A great hobby too.

IP Logged

Tito

Australia
Reply #56 - May 16th, 2006 at 12:35am

sweet man, thanks 8)

That's one small sling for David. One giant headache for Goliath.&&The safest place to stand when I sling, is right in front of me!

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #57 - May 16th, 2006 at 6:47pm

np  Grin Grin

IP Logged

SEB

Oh dear...there goes the
neighbourhood

Netherlands
Reply #58 - May 17th, 2006 at 2:12pm

The dubble fingerloops work perfectly.
Less tension one the single finger and it stays better in place when throwing hard.

Sander

is it a bird? is it a plane? no, it's a...DUCK!!&&ffffFFFkadef!!...auw, that's not a duck, thats a rock!!

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #59 - May 17th, 2006 at 3:36pm

SEB,
Nice slings, man!  Very nice!
And yet another idea I'm going to have to try...  I don't lose slings very often, but that is because my fingerloop is rather tight.  Maybe if I have two loops I can keep them looser, and still keep my sling from flying away.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy)