Send Topic Print
Money from slinging. (Read 1341 times)
Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Money from slinging.
Jul 18th, 2005 at 2:42am

Hi all.

This past weekend I was attending a conference at the Vaal River in South Africa. It is one of our major rivers and perhaps not quite as impressive as some rivers in other countrys but it is propably 120-150 meters wide. For the posibility of having some time for myself, I packed my 42in sling and one golfball (thought there would be some nice rocks). Early in the morning before breakfast I slinged some very sub-standard low grade stones and never got them to go over the river, much to my dismay they were falling short by minimum 20m.

At lunch time I saw my oppertunity for the golfball and headed down to the river. As I was walking past some guy he took me a R20.00 ($4.00) bet that the ball would not cross the river. That shook me up slightly but I still proceded to 10m from the waters edge, loaded the sling, and sent that beautifully designed little white ball sailing over the river hitting the trees on the other side 20m up into the tree from it base.

I was astonished at the distance I got but more so was the guy who took me the bet.

I never took his money but instead promised him that I will make him a sling.

I put so much effort into the cast that I buggerd up my elbow. This 42in sling (made possible by the inspiration of Fun_Slinger) has zero stretch and I plan to experiment with adding a bit of stretch by adding some braiding into the cords.

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

Leeds_Lobber
Descens

its ok, they couldn't
hit an elephant at aaaaargh

Leeds UK
Re: Money from slinging.
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2005 at 5:09am

I USED to get tennis elbow, practice till it hurts then take a break and you will find it gets better.

Good shooting, lovely to impress onlookers. I am currently attracting a lot of gawpers. Last night I had about a dozen asian lads turn up on their bikes, they were very impressed, and I definitely got the feeling, given our local situation, that they were mentally imagining themselves using one from behind a barricade of burning cars. Two of them had a go.

I took the opportunity to quiz them about the situation. Two felt it was a Police set up, one that the bombers had no idea what they were carrying, suggesting they thought they were acting as drug mules, the rest were honest about the situation. Inter-marriage in the area means several were 'related' to bombers (Familes are very extended among the local asian community) and they were incredulous it could have happened. They were not a religious bunch, my worry in the past years has been in the opposite direction - the westernisation of the 2nd generation is destroying the tight rules of behaviour followed by their parents. Divorce, single parenthood, drug taking and Consumerism were unknown. The young lads are mimicking the nastiest form of Western Culture, the Black Gangsta ethic, and this aint good. I would prefer them going to the mosque to that.

Pleasingly, they agreed with me that they have not encountered any increase in racial tension in the area.

Pat

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2005 at 8:36am

I've never gotten slinger's elbow but I used to notice that when I just started out slinging, after about an hour of good throwing, my whole upper arm would be sore for a day or two afterwards. Now, this never happens to me, or at least, no longer to the point where I notice it. And congratulations to Africa_slinger on his winning of the bet and the superb distance! I'd give my left arm (well, okay, maybe not, I mean, it is my loading arm) to be able to sling that far! What technique were you using?

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2005 at 7:47am

FunSlinger

Sorry if it came out wrong, but I am giving credit for inspiring me to make the longer sling that resulted in the increase of range.  Grin

MammotHunter

I use the figure 8 style.

Regarding adding a bit of stretch to the cords, I want to braid the cords for about 5cm in the middle of the cord (need to experiment) that would hopefully give the slightest amount of stretch but will also aid in injury prevention. Has anybody ever tried this and what do you think about the plan?

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #4 - Jul 19th, 2005 at 10:55am

I used to sell slings to friends for $10 a piece. They cost me about a dollar to make. Everytime I take my sling out, people always ask where I bought it. When they hear I made it, they want one and are happy to pay for it.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2005 at 1:40pm

My two cents worth:

On "slinger's elbow" -- make sure you warm up well before slinging.  When I go out in the morning and just start slinging, I get sore.  If I take five or ten minutes to warm up and stretch out (I wrote about my procedure
here
), then I don't hurt.  Or at least not as much, I still do something wrong sometimes and my muscles complain about that.

On stretchy cords -- I've never tried non-stretchy materials, all mine are nylon braid (either pre-braided courtesy of REI, or I braided it myself).  Braided nylon always has some stretch; my 26-incher stretches out another two inches when I pull hard on it.  But I always make my cords too long, and use a chain knot to shorten the cords; six inches of chain knot will stretch out another three-quarters inch when i pull hard on it.  Between the cord itself, and the extra stretch because of the chain knot, I guess I've got some pretty stretchy slings.

Well, anyway, the point of all this rambling is: if I get a sore arm from slinging, it's got to be my technique, not a too-stiff sling 'cause my slings are NOT stiff.

On where to put the "stretchy" section -- I normally put the chain knots right next to the pocket, so all the extra weight of cord is out at the end of the sling.  Once, I tried moving the chain knots so they were right next to the finger loop and the release knot.  My theory was that I'd get the rock moving better without that extra weight out there.  It's the same reason bicyclists use very very light aluminum rims and tires that are as near to being balloons as they can get away with: they are reducing the mass that undergoes the most acceleration.

All I accomplished was making my head hurt, when the release knot and extra cord whapped me in the side of the head.  No extra distance.

I haven't tried putting the chain knots in the middle of the cord.  Maybe I should try that...

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy, Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man)