Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Sheet bend pouch sling (Read 10127 times)
Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Re: Sheet bend pouch sling
Reply #30 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 7:32pm

i would like to know how the one with the 5 pouch stings works i cannot figure it out for crying out loud i can't figure it out  Shocked (mind i ain't that clever in tying knots so hey)

Taiki  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #31 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 11:38am

The locked sheepshank looks like this,
http://www.slinging.org/images/vanDerHam/locked_sheepshank

If you go zig-zag more often you can get it into a 5 string pouch.
(I do not know if that is the way they made the one in this thread, and the photo seems to have disappeared or is just not working today,)
But try it with thin string, otherwise the sling will become too heavy.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #32 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 12:55pm

that must be what i've been doing wron too thick rope  Undecided cause i figured it out to zigzag more but i just couldn't tie it in

Taiki  
IP Logged

neolyth
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #33 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 12:57pm

i'm glad that this method has found some favor Wink
in the end i don't think that it can make as fine a sling as the various woven methods can...
because of the protruding knots at either end of the cradle and the added weight of the cradle compared to the woven methods.
still it is awefully satisfying to just take a cord and make a sling.
i figured out a way to make a cradle composed of four cords instead of the three shown, you do virtually the same knot but start out with two cords instead of one.

i can post a picture later but it would be more fun if someone else figured it and posted it.

overall i just can't ever get over how cool the principle of the bowline and sheetbend knot is, there are so many applications and at least five trick, speed and restricted access methods of tying them that i know of...
(three of them involve making a slip knot, putting either the working end of the cord back through the loop, then collapsing the loop to create a bowline, or doing the same but putting a second cord through the loop instead to create the sheetbend.)

this knot is fundamentally involved in the early history of man throughout most cultures, it's permutations involve the slipknot, netmaking and (i believe), the inner workings of knitting.

from a self guided experimental exploration of knot logic i can't think of a better knot to play with.
i believe that understanding knots, knitting, etc. can be highly beneficial to the mind, it is akin to geometry, requires visualization and the understanding of simultaineous synergy of a process that takes place in time...  i suspect that these things could form part of the basis of a better education system in the future, just to go off tangetially for a second.

by the way, for me sketching a knot that i don't understand how to tie is extremely helpful...
it's as if your eye and your pencil must tie the knot in order to draw it, while the pencil marks keep track of your progress and current position.
this goes with the theory that taking notes helps you remember even if you never look at the notes again.

animated bowline below!
http://www.aquafrolic.com/BowlineDoc.htm
great page below!
http://www.layhands.com/Knots/Knots_KnotsIndex.htm
great page below!
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/knotlink.htm

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #34 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 8:13pm

Yeah, I made a sling following the method dementrated here.  It is not as goood as woven sling but it works and it is easy to make!

IP Logged

Natural
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

New York
Reply #35 - Jan 17th, 2006 at 2:07pm

yea, you did a nice job adjusting and realizing that the thicker the pouch the lower the snap ability and the greater the limitations on distance capabilities. there was a post in which a guest showed his sling ---i think this is an idea you should pursue to optimize your slinging experience. Curious: If you tried slinging, how far did you get with that sling you made??  ???

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy)