Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Longbow (Read 9721 times)
Hellfire
Ex Member

Longbow
Jun 16th, 2005 at 11:11pm

Does anyone know somewhat the dimensions of a longbow- width, height, thickness?
Does anyone know any good websites for longbows? I have heard you can use some whitewoods with a longbow configuration- but it should be a little wider.
And what is "higher/lower" stacked?
Also does anyone know someone who has made a longbow- maybe some tips would help.
If possible name the different kinds of wood for a longbow- they probably grow around here.
This should be my next project.
Any information should help- especially details.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Re: Longbow
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 1:35pm

I could tell you, I believe.
  A longbow to a modern American bowyer is a just a bow that has straight tips.  To almost everyone else, this is a flatbow.  Nowadays, we call the traditional longbow an English longbow, or ELB.  This is high stacked, as opposed to low stacked, as you know; this refers to depth.  A high stacked bow has lots of depth, not so much width normally, a low stacked bow is flat or nearly so.
  Yew is technically the only wood to use, the traditional wood.  You could use elm, ash, osage, whatever, but you won't get as good results, and they will follow the string - this is unavoidable.  I couldn't give you dimensions because I don't know what poundage you want, I don't know what wood you will use, or whether you want a raised handle or a proper longbow which bends through the whole length.  Johnny has made some great examples of longbows - pay attention to any answer who might give to your question.

IP Logged

britishslinger

slings the handheld arlilery

Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 1:41pm

if you can leave of the horn tips some mary rose bows show evedence of horn tips but the general agreement is no horn tips

another debate is there is alot of picture evedence and other evedance of reflexed tips

listen to old people

IP Logged

henryblowery
Descens

Raleigh NC
Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 1:47pm

Are you talking about a elb(english longbow) or can it be any bow thats long? For a eastern woodland long bow you could make it  71 inches long, 1 1/2 inches wide,  5/8 inch thick at the handle, 11/16 inch at tip of nock, thickness at nock 7/16,
and come out with a 65 lb bow. I'v made one like this sept for
I made it 68 inches long and 50 lbs so it was a little thiner.
You can make this bow out of just about any kind of hardwood. I made mine out of a Red Oak board from Lowe's.

Out of curiosity how are we suppost to know what grows around you it we don't know were you live?

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/thaiche/Henrybloweryssig.jpg[/IMG]
WWW henryblowery  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 1:49pm

Yes, those are two debates.  The Mary Rose bows show evidence of horn tips (which would have been eaten by Solent microbes), but many scholars believe that horn tips would not have been used because they might come off in the heat of battle - self nocks would be more advantages, and yew is not as soft as people imagine.
  Recurves are another thing... some say that longbows had recurves.  This is due to pictorial evidence, and also evidence of sharp thinning six inches or so before the nock on recovered bows - this indicates to many that longbows had recurves.  It's an interesting idea.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 1:51pm

I love those eastern woodlands bows, henryblowery.  Beautiful.  And they are not as picky in terms of what wood works.

IP Logged

henryblowery
Descens

Raleigh NC
Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 1:57pm

Not picky at all. I also love them but that might be because I'm part Cherokee  ???.

WWW henryblowery  
IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 4:29pm

How about an elb..- actually a welsh longbow.. which was brought over from the scandinavians anyway..
Name any type of wood that grows in america. I probably have access to it.

IP Logged

henryblowery
Descens

Raleigh NC
Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 6:23pm

Sorry, I don't have any info on elb. But if you have access to any type of wood that grows in america Yew would be the way to go.

WWW henryblowery  
IP Logged

This is Hellfire

Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 6:43pm

I have a supplier who deals in exotic woods. his name is Slim Maroushek. Im pretty sure he had a website, and me and him are pretty good friends, so I think I might be able to buy either a stave or a plank...

IP Logged

henryblowery
Descens

Raleigh NC
Reply #10 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 6:46pm

Do you have tbb v1? theres a chapter in there about yew longbows I beleve

WWW henryblowery  
IP Logged

This is Hellfire

Reply #11 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 6:48pm

no.. probably should go out and buy it. Maybe amazon stocks it.

IP Logged

henryblowery
Descens

Raleigh NC
Reply #12 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 8:49pm

Yup, Amazon has them-thats where I got mine. I would sugest you get them they were (and still are)verry helpfull to me and I think you will lern alot from them.

WWW henryblowery  
IP Logged

me

I sling therefore I am.

Rowlett, TX, USA
Reply #13 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 10:34pm

If you get  TBB #1, I suggest you read the Design and Performance chapter many times. It is some of the best
information ever written by man on the subject of constructing bows. I think I would've bought the book simply for that  chapter alone, but there are many other things in the book that are absolute gems of knowledge. If you are serious about making a good shooter, that is the place you should start.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 18th, 2005 at 3:42am

I agree with what me says.  It's an excellent chapter, and you can have fun experimenting.
  I just gave a list of woods that grow in North America.  But the reason it's called an English Longbow is because it comes from England - therefore, uses European woods.  But most American bow-woods should work ok.... just don't complain when the bow follows the string massively.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark)