Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How I made my  Bow (Read 8006 times)
Hellfire
Ex Member

How I made my  Bow
Jun 15th, 2005 at 11:18pm

It all started on a drizzly saturday morning when I was bored and reading something on www.primitiveways.com. In the article, "How to make a bow from a sapling.". I read many key details. I wrote down a list of these details, found my saw, and memorized from my book what a white ash looks like. Having done all of the necessary steps, me and my brother walk out into the woods with only a saw and our border collie. I looked around for nearly a half hour until I saw a small stand of about eight or ten white ash. I found the two smallest ones, about five inches in diameter at the thick end, and carefully chopped them off at the base. This was after I carefully examined and scrutinized the structure of the bark, the trees health, and how tall it was. Me and my brother then portaged the heavy logs home, about 2 miles.
When we got home, I brought out my axe, and we split them into quarters. Then we carefully peeled off the bark and examined the outer growth ring. It appeared that only two staves of the eight would work. They were about 120 degrees, quite a bit more than the 90 I wanted.
These two were shaped and hacked and filed until they roughly appeared like bows. Then they were painted with waterproof latex paint on each end and allowed to dry.
Almost a month and a half later I brought them from my closet and examined them. One of the bows might not work. It had a knot about the size of a grape I somehow didnt notice when I cut it, maybe I didnt care. The other bow was too light, only thirty pounds.
I did some reading and found out that most of the Great Plains and Eastern woodland natives made their bows only fourty two inches long. This was good to know. It meant that one of the staves with a large knot in it would not be wasted.
The light bow I tillered until it was good and spiked it four inches, two from each end. This made the draw more suitable- I also sinewbacked it with hemp cord.
The other bow I cut nearly nine inches from each end. Then I shaped it with my hatchet, and large kitchen knife (glad Im not in great britain, where they might outlaw them). I then cut Indian nocks, which I have come to favor. These are much like regular slit nocks, except instead of a rectangular piece of wood above the slit, it is diamond shaped, well filed and smoothed to fit the string and to ensure longevity, as there is little wear. I strung the fourty- two inch weapon and found it to be off tiller, not badly, but bad enough to make me angry. I drew it anyway and was astounded. It must have been almost eighty five pounds of draw. This was going to require a lot of tillering...
Later that night I worked until it was nearly one in the morning, carefully cutting, smoothing, trying to equalize the tiller. I then almost fell asleep in my workroom, which wasn't very good because if you are tired you shouldnt be working with blades.
Two days later, when the small cuts and scrapes on my hands healed, I picked it up and still wasnt satisfied with the draw. It was too much. I wanted it about fifty-five pounds so I could shoot it maybe fifty times at a stint without tiring.
When I did chores that morning to feed the livestock, I found a large piece of glass, with very square edges. It was about perfect, so I brought it to the house and scraped the bow with it. It was better than sandpaper. I perfected the tiller and took off about ten pounds of draw. Then with 400 grit sandpaper I smoothed the whole thing out and rubbed linseed oil into it.

Now I have to make some arrows....

I was wondering (in detail) how anyone else in this forum has made his or her bow, either longbow, shortbow, recurve, maybe even a bundle bow.
Add your opinions

IP Logged

me

I sling therefore I am.

Rowlett, TX, USA
Re: How I made my  Bow
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 11:59pm

been making bows since I was very young, and my first attempts sound about like yours. There are alot of things I dont understand in your post on this bow, but Im sure english will be along soon enough and he'll point them out for me lol  Grin

That very unimportant point aside, I'm glad you've made your first! That is wonderful. I remember working green saplings in my garage as a kid with just a kitchen knife and my raw instinct on what to do.  Once you get bit by the bowmaking bug youll probably be doing it for the rest of your life, or if not, a long time. You should post some pics of this bow Hellfire, it would be cool to be able to see your first shooter.  Smiley

IP Logged

knight

blargh~

Philadelphia
Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2005 at 9:42am

sweet i remember my first bow wasnt a good one sorry if im not typen alot usin moble device called psp

...&&&&
xrpgknightx xrpgknightx  
IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Sling when you're winning

Near Manchester, England
Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2005 at 12:33pm

I wonder how long itll tkae for jonyn and english to post here...  When i get some wood im goign to make a bow, but in the meantime im making a small crossbow with an 18' NTN prod which is tkaing me  aggeeeeeeeees to rough out
Rik

I'm slinging in the rain, such a glorious feeling...

IP Logged

henryblowery
Descens

Raleigh NC
Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2005 at 3:38pm

Ok I'm going to point out inconsistancys(sp?) between this thread and another thread. I'm not trying to be mean I just have a few questions.

"I also sinewbacked it with hemp cord."

You can't sinew back a bow with hemp. Wink Grin

" Yesterday I got out into the woods and cut down two medium to small size trees- about three inches in diameter."(Quote from other thread)

"I found the two smallest ones, about five inches in diameter at the thick end," quote from this thread.

The trees are differant sizes. Wink Grin

"I split them into fourths and one into fifths."(other thread)

" I had to throw away about half of one of the trees because the splitting didnt work right- there was a knot the tree had about a year or so ago and it grew over, but the other tree I split into three workable staves. The other gave only one.(other thread)

" When we got home, I brought out my axe, and we split them into quarters. Then we carefully peeled off the bark and examined the outer growth ring. It appeared that only two staves of the eight would work."

OK so in the other thead you had 9 staves 4 workable staves. In this thread you have 8 staves 2 workable staves.  Wink Grin
Gray

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/thaiche/Henrybloweryssig.jpg[/IMG]
WWW henryblowery  
IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2005 at 6:14pm

Sinewbacking can be with sinew. I suppose that is a slightly inconsistent statement, but in the words of John Wayne." What the hell."
I found the two smallest ones out of a stand of ash trees- duh. They were medium to small sized trees, compared to the average tree.
The one into fifths- the fifth one turned out to be kindling- I didnt include that.
It also "appeared" that only two staves would work. I didnt know you could make a whitewood bow anything other than a flatbow. Then I read about how the natives made bows only 42 inches long. Voila- 2 extra workable staves- I nearly threw them out. I have them drying in my closet right now.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2005 at 9:40pm

Is the backing functional, protective-only, or merely decorative? I'm interested in cordage-backed bows, which were relatively common in northern Canada, helping make the most of scarce and marginal woods, but the technique is *quite* different from what people usually mean. I wouldn't have thought that hemp would have suitable properties, but am interested in your experience.

One of the reasons sinew works is that it is strong, elastic, and shinks considerably while it is drying. This forces the surface of the wood into compression, which prevents breaking.

Matthias

IP Logged

me

I sling therefore I am.

Rowlett, TX, USA
Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2005 at 10:30pm

Its functional by making the back almost unbreakable. A fiber backing saves many a bad bow. I backed a  little osage bow with hemp once. I've used sisal, wool (sucks) , heavy painters canvas (good) , as well as sinew and and maybe some others. Best thing fiber backings have over sinew is when put on with waterproof glue , its not affected by moisture like sinew.

IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2005 at 10:59pm

I did mine apache style.
Yes it does make it very hard to break. What it does is recurve the tips and put more strain on the belly. It makes the whole bow faster and more efficient.
I think that the next time one of our goats die(natural causes)- I will get its back sinews and heel sinews. Maybe i can actually sinewback a bow with real sinew. Then hide glue it to the back, and cover it with a snakeskin. Very awesome looking. now all I need to know is how to prepare sinew.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 6:10am

Thanks me - I meant not whether backing in general is functional, but this backing in particular.

Hellfire - How did you add the reflex using a fiber backing? Were you using raw hemp, strick, or spun cord? "Apache-style" could be glued, or it could be cordage backed, could you describe what you did a bit?

Any chance of some photos?

Matthias

IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 9:34am

Theres not much chance for photos.
Apache style means with a lot of cordage and its glued on.
The slightly reflex tips is only visible at full draw. Its not present before you string it or even half draw. Its very subtle at full draw- but it performs like a recurve.
I did use hemp. I could use silk, but thats in short supply.
cya

IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Sling when you're winning

Near Manchester, England
Reply #11 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 12:09pm

Hemp backings dont recurve bows, at least thats what i thoguht..?  Ive also been wondering about cable bows from the samll amount mentioned in TBB v1, has anyone made one?
Rik

I'm slinging in the rain, such a glorious feeling...

IP Logged

me

I sling therefore I am.

Rowlett, TX, USA
Reply #12 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 1:19pm

Matthias- By "fiber" backing i meant anything fiberous, from hemp to flax to brown grocery bags etc. Sorry shouldve been more specific.  To answer your question, hemp backing works great.

Lionheart- Your right hemp doesnt add reflex to a bow, only sinew does that when applied normally.

IP Logged

henryblowery
Descens

Raleigh NC
Reply #13 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 1:33pm

lionheart you are correct hemp does not recurve or reflex the tips. Sinew does'nt recurve the tips eather what it does is reflex the bow because when sinew drys it shrinks and when it shrinks it pulls the bow into a reflex.

WWW henryblowery  
IP Logged

henryblowery
Descens

Raleigh NC
Reply #14 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 1:35pm

Oh, I forgot to say I would like to see your bow to. If the only
reason you cant show it to us is you don't know how to post the photos you can e-mail them to me at lct4501@yahoo.com
and I'll post them for you.

WWW henryblowery  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)