compound bow (Read 4442 times)
Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
compound bow
Jun 6th, 2005 at 8:13am

Walking with my dog  in a city park i found about 30 yards of fiberglass rod the kind they use to drive electric/comms wire into underground tunneling...  so i made  an early Saturday morning trip with a bolt cutter and i metabolized the whole thing into manageable rod lenghts of 2 and 1.70 metres. Grin
The stuff is amazing! It's 1 cm diametre  with a fibberglass core and an external layer of plastic that looks etreme wear resistant.
I've made a prototype compound bow with  5 rods , 3 rods of 1.60 metres, backed by 2 rods  of 65 cms, and may be i add another rod of 65 cms or sightly shorter in the back of the last 2 rods, making a triangular pile of 6 rods like this...
  o
oo
ooo
I've found i have to group the 3 rods with a nock in both ends to tie the string  properly and i've done 1st experimental assembly with electrical duct tape.... it feels very nice and powerful. (i guess final assembly will be power tape and paracord)  Nocks will be aluminium or plywood epoxied and tied with paracord or strong thread.
Any ideas about improoving it?  any advice about compound bows?

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

knight

blargh~

Philadelphia
Re: compound bow
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2005 at 9:51am

eh i dont have much advice but my friend made a nice bow out of pvc pipe but then he left it on top of his car and his mom drove away and lost it on the highway along with 98 arrows lol

...&&&&
xrpgknightx xrpgknightx  
IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2005 at 10:03am

Check over at the archery part of paleoplanet. I remember seeing a similar post there in the last few days. Unless that is your post too. I was thinking and a compound could probably made. I'm no expert but you need eccentric wheels. Round wheels are no good because they make the draw too short. The other thing that struck me is that the tips on your bow are probably going to be way, way to heavy. If so your bow is gonna shoot like crap. No offence. Maybe try to made two longbow style bows using less rods and tapering to the tips? Or use them as crossbow prods.

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2005 at 10:10am

Just checked over there and it looks like it is your post. Sorry, looks like they gave you no love over there! Fiberglass, compound? Drive him away!

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2005 at 4:36am

lol mike, yes it was a post of mine too Grin
I guess i'll have to experiment, with bow lenghts.... too long and it will flex so easy it will have very little force, too sort and it will be so stiff i would  need 3 times my arm muscles to draw it.
The only way i can tapper bow ends is decreasing rod lenghts as i add them to the back of the bow, now i have 3 long rods in the front and 2 short in the back, may be i have to invert the numbers... 1 long rod in the front, 2 shorter in the back and may be 3 even shorter in the very back, this will give me  light ends and stiff center in the bow. Also this way i won't need nocks, just carving a notch to place the string... i'll post pics of the thingie Wink
BTW paleoplanet was under attack and lost almost all its files, i hope Chris and the rest of  slinging.org staff have all this invaluable info in a safe place and keep backups  Shocked

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2005 at 8:49am

It wasn't just paleo planet, apparently.  The whole of EZ board lost files.  It was quite terrible, as some parts of the forum lost all their topics!

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2005 at 10:26am

ya that was crap. On a related note I've never been able to post over there. I never got a email to confirm my login. What's up with that?

Zorro, I was thinking that if you got some fiberglass cloth and the epoxy you could arrange the rods how you want them and then fiberglass them together. Wrap them in glass and form a single unit out of them.

IP Logged

henryblowery
Descens

Raleigh NC
Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2005 at 1:16pm

Mike_R just keep trying I had truble joining ezboard boards to. Actually PaleoPlanet had it pretty easy compeared to some boards one lost ALL there threads and some of there members.
Gray
P.S. Sorry no info on compounds

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/thaiche/Henrybloweryssig.jpg[/IMG]
WWW henryblowery  
IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2005 at 6:44am

After some testing, finally i used 2 paralell rods of 137cms and 1 rod of  65 cms in the front and another same lenght in the back in a diamond config
o    <----  1 short rod of 65 cms in the back of the bow
oo   <---- 2 long paralell rods of 137 cms
o    <----   1 short rod of 65cms

This config feels ok  and i think is a lot more powerful than my last bow,  a longer back rod of 85  or 90 cms instead of 65cms may add some more power, but by now it's ok
Rods are tied together with power tape  (not much "paleo" anyway uh?  8) )

IP Logged

me

I sling therefore I am.

Rowlett, TX, USA
Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2005 at 3:02pm

Zorro in one of the traditional bowyers bibles Tim Baker tells about how he made a good shooting bow out of various length bamboo garden poles. One full length one
one 6 inches less or so..etc etc to get it to have the right curvature. Sounds like if you get yours configured right you could have a serious bow my friend. By the way, as a kid my main hobby was to go around the house and garage and make various weapons only using what junk I could find. It may not be pure paleo, but its certainly the spirit of paleo.

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #10 - Jun 9th, 2005 at 8:17am

Quote:
.... make various weapons only using what junk I could find. It may not be pure paleo, but its certainly the spirit of paleo.

agreed Grin

IP Logged

Leeds_Lobber
Descens

its ok, they couldn't
hit an elephant at aaaaargh

Leeds UK
Reply #11 - Jun 9th, 2005 at 8:54am

Its' not the Spirit of Paleo - its the Spirit of the post-apocalypse, which is FAR cooler, and is what what drives me to sling - when them pesky Roosians nuke England, my family WILL survive due to my ability to make slings from dead Commie's bootlaces and chunks of webbing.

Go Fibre-glass rod bows!

Pat

IP Logged

Leeds_Lobber
Descens

its ok, they couldn't
hit an elephant at aaaaargh

Leeds UK
Reply #12 - Jun 9th, 2005 at 8:57am

'Nyestry Lighter meer ya DOBRY communist' , as I learned as a child, Just in case- thats 'please don't shoot me, I am good communist' phonetically.

Not much use now of course..... unless Cuba starts punching WAY above their weight division.

IP Logged

me

I sling therefore I am.

Rowlett, TX, USA
Reply #13 - Jun 9th, 2005 at 2:15pm

Leeds lol  Cheesy

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #14 - Jun 11th, 2005 at 1:04pm

finally my 3rd prototype is  as follows:

oo  <---2 paralell  rods 134 cms (back of the bow)
oo   <---2 paralell  rods 94 cms
oo    <---2 paralell  rods36 cms

Had to trim the short rows more than 5 cms each side cause it was so powerful i couldn't draw it  full lenght.
also have some problems trying to avoid rod displacement, so i guess i'll add some aluminium rings to keep rods in place.
i'll post pics asap.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)