World records (Read 42831 times)
Citanils
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Australia
Re: World records
Reply #30 - Jun 1st, 2005 at 8:27pm

Thanks everyone for an interesting conversation

I think that it has pretty much been collectively agreed that no one cares that much about records on this site. I was just looking for something to work towards.

I would however like the results on the sling ranges page to be put into categorys of projectiles used.

thanks again

Citanils

keep thinking&&
WWW Citanils Citanils  
IP Logged

me

I sling therefore I am.

Rowlett, TX, USA
Reply #31 - Jun 2nd, 2005 at 12:52am

Personally Citanils I think its a great idea to get some kind of regualtory definitions going. The hard part is 1, we are so spread out from each other and it would really be best to do this in an enviorment where the rules for the slings themselves could be collectivley tried out and voted upon, and 2 we are starting from scratch, unlike say the Balearic Island folk. Once their are enough of us I'm sure traditional slinging shoots will crop up just like traditional archery shoots have.   Grin

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #32 - Jun 2nd, 2005 at 1:31am

Personally,  I surmise that a meaningful part of the appeal of the sling is the stark absence of 'regulation'.....afterall, it is virtually THE most indirect method of hitting a target via human power.

I think it's charm is that it literally begs an apple and orange free-for-all.

Imagine a number of comrades toe'ing the line....each with a different sling.....and varied ammo.

Certainly more interesting to me than that kind 'capitulative restraint' which worships tradition.

I say if Yurek prefers potatoes to my dirt clods....then why hamstring us both in a compromise that masks each his potential?

I say, bring what you're used to slinging and may the best man win.

That way, when Lobohunter wins with his 'RazorGlans'....

We can all look upon his 'hairless' face with awe!

8)

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Citanils
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Australia
Reply #33 - Jun 2nd, 2005 at 4:57am

Sorry techstuff I dont think I caught the main gist of that post.

If you said what I sort of think you said my reply would be... I am not saying that after some rules are agreed upon everyone is ONLY allowed to sling that way or with those elements the idea of the whole thing was to have a basis on which to compare ourselves evenly to each other.

I hope that that was a suitable reply to your post

Citanils

keep thinking&&
WWW Citanils Citanils  
IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Sling when you're winning

Near Manchester, England
Reply #34 - Jun 2nd, 2005 at 5:06am

I agree Citanils,
On another point, whilst one of the charms of slinging is the variety, for world record attmepts, some sort of limit on what is and isnt  slign mus be set, because, i would be highly suprised if someone was throwing rocks further than anyone else with a sling made of bootlaces and a bit of old scrap leather.
Rik

I'm slinging in the rain, such a glorious feeling...

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #35 - Jun 2nd, 2005 at 6:56am

What's there to limit?

I mean really,  we're definitely not talking rocket science here.

Are we?

If the object is slung via cordage of some type.....and not rocket assisted or mechanically via some other means,

Then hey, it's called slinging.

I mean,  we go taking ourselves too seriously and then we are just like all these other sports and their monotonous limitations and even comparisons.

Let each man create his own playing field and may the best style, material and design win.

MUCH more interesting than trying to lasso a fart in a whirlwind.....(Upon deeper contemplation, I take that back).

And let's face it,

For most, it's going to be difficult enough just trying not to embarrass one's self silly.

Wink

Organizational efforts would be better spent on creative target and distance events.....

like, I don't know......say:

Pop the pumpkin- 20 paces.....first hit wins a pumpkin pie.

Dent the barrel- 50/100/200 yard events

Helium 24in. balloon moving target sniperthon.  Each man 3 trys at 20 paces.  Best of 3 wins.....Larry Bray's world record rock.  (Or reasonable facsimile)

Clay Pot Marathon 20/50/100yrd events....every man slings until one is hit at each distance.  Least number of tries captures the 'trophy' for commensurate distance.

Urban Hooliganism event:

Old window panes propped against hay bales....at varying distances.....extra bonus to the man who shatters one of the couple or so stained glass beauties we can scrounge.

Bread toss....No one breaks for lunch until he's hit a loaf of marble rye at 20 paces.

Unlimited Open distance contest:  Do your worst, with your best, of course.

Dodge ball.....mwaahaaahaa,  rubber spongies at 30 paces.  Teams decided by weigh in before and after 'drinkathon' held directly before competition.

The more creative the events, the more likely we will see some intensive style, material and design efforts brought to the event.

And that's really the big draw.......an event of sufficient interest, ripe with the promise of high entertainment and challenge to pry those very few Jedi Master slingers we know must be out there, from their respective lairs....

8)

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Near Manchester, England
Reply #36 - Jun 2nd, 2005 at 7:29am

Tech u do like those ideas, but one i feel needs ot be added is paintball slinging base assault; think you couyld have longslings underarm bombarding the enemy form range, then peope with short slings for storming inside the base...
AS for the rules for world record attmepts, lets simply agree to disagree, althoguh in all other distance shooting events, as far as i am aware, there is soem sort of limiting rules, for instance in the javelin throw, te javelins cant be flighted or osmehting like that
Rik

IP Logged

Citanils
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Australia
Reply #37 - Jun 2nd, 2005 at 8:19am

Techstuff

good ideas

I dont know how you came up with 50 intreguing games in such a small amount of time but good on you. I understand where you are coming from but you have to realise that there are some people interested in non novelty exercises. I have nothing against you or your approach to slinging. I just hope you realise that I am not trying to put fences around the sport. I love the idea of paintball slinging. But it would probably be hard for me to get my hands on some paintballs down in lowly Tasmania [let alone getting my friends interested in it].

thanks for your enthusiastic response

Citanils

keep thinking&&
WWW Citanils Citanils  
IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Near Manchester, England
Reply #38 - Jun 2nd, 2005 at 8:29am

On a slightly random point but still connected to paintballing;
'Paintball Pico Piracy'  Paintballing on little boats ad u cna board etc, one person sails other shoots, pink sails aganmts blue, boy thats be fun.  Then i could come along in a rocket (very fast boat) tee hee
Know that would b fun!
Rik
PS ditto mostly citanils

IP Logged

me

I sling therefore I am.

Rowlett, TX, USA
Reply #39 - Jun 2nd, 2005 at 3:48pm

paintball would be soo fun, Id like to do blowgun paintball and slingshot paintball also. Clay pots would indeed be alot of fun also. Heres another idea...ever been to those carnivals where a guy sits on a seat above a tub of water in a plexiglass booth and people try to dunk him by throwing baseballs at a target?...You get what im saying im sure. Now that would be a blast.
The oppritunities are endless.

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #40 - Jun 2nd, 2005 at 4:02pm

Lionheart,  of course I like 'those' ideas.....their mine! (lol)

Citanils, Am I missing something....or isn't that what slinging is?   A novelty, I mean.

Me, I like your thinking!....lol

I say keep it light, keep it fun, give it legs and it just may run.....

This is 26yrs of virtually every conceivable slinging experience talking.

Not a big fan of the idea of paintball slinging.....largely and simply for the fact that paintballs of the size necessary for a satisfying exercise would take too much effort for this largely uninspired slinger.

I do, however, understand and appreciate the unbridled enthusiasm of the younger generation of slingers...seeking to quantify, categorize and standardize an activity which, by it's very nature, just manages to avoid extinction in modern culture by clinging tenuously to those few, who are drawn to it for what it really is, subconsiously or otherwise.....

A mystical connection to the past.....and with nature....an ineffable dance with warriors past, against the giants and tyrants of their day.......and the inner and outer demons of ours.

Peace,

TS

8)

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Near Manchester, England
Reply #41 - Jun 2nd, 2005 at 5:17pm

Ooops ye of course you do, i meant i like them!  Especially the one after the drinkathon  Grin
Rik

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #42 - Jun 2nd, 2005 at 7:08pm

Lol....me too!

That would be film worthy.....

8)

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #43 - Jun 3rd, 2005 at 6:28pm

The revival of this thread, has inspired me. I built a sling last night wich is maxium length for me to use over and under hand. wich for me is 60 inches I normally use a fortythree inch sling. I was hoping for massive range in provement. Alas my improvement was just about ten meters for the foo's ball  from 88.2 meters to 97.2 they both are averages of 6 throws. I was hurling in town so did not get a chance to try more substantial ammo. Nor did I do the 45 degree over hand since no prior measurement for foo's balls.
 Tech you have me thinking once again. I recently hurled a three ounces egg sinker just over 300 yards.
What if I took the razor gland idea used fins instead of broad heads. With the razor glands one of the probs. at first was a tendency for them to gain lift. Not what I wanted in hunting. Extra lift in distance hurling maybe what I want.
   ty Tech back to the shop I go

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #44 - Jun 3rd, 2005 at 10:37pm

i need to double my distance with a normal stone if im going to be able to throw things at my planned target.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark)