SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Send Topic Print
World records (Read 42301 times)
Leeds_Lobber

Re: World records
Reply #15 - May 31st, 2005 at 9:07pm

A sling Bullet should be an ovoid of any weight, made in one piece of a homogeneous material, without fins, flights or other stabilising projections and with a length no more than double the width.

IP Logged

Citanils
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Australia
Reply #16 - May 31st, 2005 at 10:15pm

Do you agree with this so far ?

Sling: A pouch made from a material such as leather or string in which the projectile sits. At opposite sides of the pouch there is a cord fastened respectively. The other end of the first cord is attached to the throwers throwing hand. The other end of the second cord is held in the throwers throwing hand. Measurement from centre of pouch to the point on cord two that the thrower holds is no longer than one metre.

Projectile: an ovoid of any weight, made in one piece of a homogeneous material, without fins, flights or other stabilising projections and with a length no more than double the width.

I thinks also it should be compulsory to measure your throw from the throwing position to the spot that the projectile initially hit the ground by means of a reliable measuring device/method ie: not stepping it out.

feel free to expand or refute.

If you like this Idea please leave feedback and perhaps we could get the final rules posted on a page where you can fill in your results.

keep thinking&&
WWW Citanils Citanils  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #17 - Jun 1st, 2005 at 3:40am

There is such a page already. Wink

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #18 - Jun 1st, 2005 at 4:56am

To me, the idea of a 'world record' in our sport, to be frank, rings a bit hollow.

And although I tend to think of myself as a true slinging afficianado.....I could only see myself getting enthused at the prospect of a Slinging.org sanctioned event.

For it is obvious, at least to me, that here is where the eagles roost.

Which pains me to wax inspired!

For I say:

Let birds of a feather
flock together!

Sure, it's ok here
up high in the air,
Then too, an earthy convergence
sure would be fair!

To friendly compete in a sporting game,
Which honors both difference, and what
makes us the same....

And although this might come across as
a bit lame, it would surely cause
some to find that new name,

Of the kind only bestowed
by a band of true brothers,
Understood by our own
and not meant for others,

Given in jest, for what each,
by your style......would surely give
rise to chuckle and smile,

Followed in suit with looks of
adulation, surprise,
When the 'impossible' is reduced
before your very eyes,

To that kind of practice....pristine and
distilled, By that exceedingly rare,
and supremely strong willed......

Wise, adept and consumate master,
of slinging both word and rock with
equal disaster......

Little old me.

Techstuf

The gauntlet, I doth hereby cast....

8)

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Sling when you're winning

Near Manchester, England
Reply #19 - Jun 1st, 2005 at 6:26am

I also think the thrower shouldnt have any kind of stand, they have to throw from ground level.  FOr the projectile, i think it should be symetrical on the three x,y and z axis, with no fins/flights/stabelisers.
The pocket should hold the projectile in only by gravity at the start adn then by centripetal/fugal forces, and should be plain with no hooks notches etc.
The sling must be attatched to the finger by a finger/wrist loop and the pocket should be opened by letting go/releasing the retention cord.
Just my thoughtts on the matter
Rik

I'm slinging in the rain, such a glorious feeling...

IP Logged

Leeds_Lobber

Reply #20 - Jun 1st, 2005 at 9:17am

The championship should be held in Canada - see the Pictures from The weekend Thread.

Ps - thats some of the best Poetry about slinging I have read for some time . Wink

Pat

Quote:
To me, the idea of a 'world record' in our sport, to be frank, rings a bit hollow.

And although I tend to think of myself as a true slinging afficianado.....I could only see myself getting enthused at the prospect of a Slinging.org sanctioned event.

For it is obvious, at least to me, that here is where the eagles roost.

Which pains me to wax inspired!

For I say:

Let birds of a feather
flock together!

Sure, it's ok here
up high in the air,
Then too, an earthy convergence
sure would be fair!

To friendly compete in a sporting game,
Which honors both difference, and what
makes us the same....

And although this might come across as
a bit lame, it would surely cause
some to find that new name,

Of the kind only bestowed
by a band of true brothers,
Understood by our own
and not meant for others,

Given in jest, for what each,
by your style......would surely give
rise to chuckle and smile,

Followed in suit with looks of
adulation, surprise,
When the 'impossible' is reduced
before your very eyes,

To that kind of practice....pristine and
distilled, By that exceedingly rare,
and supremely strong willed......

Wise, adept and consumate master,
of slinging both word and rock with
equal disaster......

Little old me.

Techstuf

The gauntlet, I doth hereby cast....

8)

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #21 - Jun 1st, 2005 at 11:13am

This is just my opinion but I think you guys are overthinking the rules.

"Projectile: an ovoid of any weight, made in one piece of a homogeneous material, without fins, flights or other stabilising projections and with a length no more than double the width. "

or

"i think it should be symetrical on the three x,y and z axis, with no fins/flights/stabelisers."

How the hell am I gonna find a rock that fits that bill? Larry's record was not a lot shorter even with the different gear. And he just used rocks. I've also heard talk that the sling should be shorter than so many inches for the record to be valid. I think I heard 50 inches or less. I for one use a sling longer than that for everyday use. Mine are just about 55 inches from the center of the pocket to the release. It isn't overly long, I'm only 74 inches (6'2") tall and that sling seems fine by me. I also heard that to get a record the sling and the pocket must be made of leather. Frankly that is retarded. In my opinion if you split all the slings ever made into two huge piles, one for all leather and another pile. The "other" pile would block out the sun and the all leather pile would be pitiful in comparison.

I say just split the record into two types. Farthest rock slung, and farthest non-rock slung. Slings must be shorter than ten feet and made out of something.

There.

IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Near Manchester, England
Reply #22 - Jun 1st, 2005 at 11:42am

For the rules of the projectile, that was for a manufactured projectile, and for world record attempts, projectiles would be manufactured, so it has a more regular shape than a rock, and has a greter density.  All the tests conducted have shown that lead glands go further than rocks, so for a WORLD RECORD attmept surely the competitor wants the rock to go as far as possible!
Rik

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #23 - Jun 1st, 2005 at 12:54pm

I'll eat a damn rock if you can sling anything without a rocket attached as far as Larry's record. I just thought that it would make sense to split into rocks and everything else.

IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Near Manchester, England
Reply #24 - Jun 1st, 2005 at 1:08pm

When did i say I could slign as far as LArry?
Rik

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #25 - Jun 1st, 2005 at 1:21pm

Wow, we've gotten 'way off the original topic, which was: what are the criteria for the Guinness slinging records?

I think we've about beaten the topic to death.  We dug up and linked to the available information about and from the Guinness people, we dissected the current record-holders --- hey, Longwinger, I like your idea about a "traditional" class and an "unlimited" class, Larry is the Traditional champ and David is the Unlimited champ --- although Vicente would have some thoughts about whether Larry counts as Traditional because his sling used dacron cords, not natural fiber --- anyway, the original question has been answered in full.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Near Manchester, England
Reply #26 - Jun 1st, 2005 at 3:20pm

Id say we are still very much on the original topic, a discussion of what people think the criterea for the world record attempts should be.
Rik

IP Logged

me

I sling therefore I am.

Rowlett, TX, USA
Reply #27 - Jun 1st, 2005 at 3:39pm

I think we're missing a huge category here. Aim. Accuracy. Most, if not all of us, can sling a rock a long ways but how many can hit a coke can at 20-30 m's reliably.  There would be nothing more thrilling to me then seeing the rock i just slung shatter a glass bottle at a hundred feet.
Of course I think there should be two divisions, untouched rocks and manufactured ammo.  Traditional and Unlimited as was mentioned before.

IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Near Manchester, England
Reply #28 - Jun 1st, 2005 at 4:59pm

Ye there are of course 2 very distinct categories, aim and range, this goes nearly without saying
Rik

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #29 - Jun 1st, 2005 at 6:20pm

Such 'pedantic' limitations will only serve to limit a sport already challenged by the puerile perceptions of those outside our circle.

Of course,  I am, obviously, in no way a 'purist' when it comes to the sling.  Which has enabled me to transcend, what for many, are very real limitations in our sport.

It doesn't take much observational comparison with other 'fringe' sports to realize the benefits that a  healthy,creative and inclusive attitude could bestow upon ours as well.

Food for thought....

8)

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, Chris, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)