Send Topic Print
what knot do i use? (Read 2622 times)
Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
what knot do i use?
May 28th, 2005 at 9:29am

do you guys remember the ballista i was showing you? well i was exparamenting with release mecs, and the thing has so much power that every thing i try to use for a release gets wedged into the wood and needs the bow string to be taken off of it for me to even try to get it out.

so while exparamenting i tied a pice of paracord onto the string that fires the bolt and pulled it back and tied that to a peg, when i knocked the peg away from the string it did fire the bolt, but with a sever loss of power, due to the para cord dragging behind it.

to stop this i just cut the cord, right behind the firing string, but this is expensive on the para cord.

wow reading over what i typed this is all very hard to understand sorry im not very good at explaning things with out my hands.  Smiley  all i need is a knot that will tie two cord's together, will hold under tension, and can be untied  by just pulling on one cord. IT will be a release knot, then once i get a litte more free time on my hands ill make a big lever to release the fireing string.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: what knot do i use?
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2005 at 1:32pm

Basicly most slipped knots will do, just pick one that unties completely when the slipped loop is pulled.
To give you a knot to start with I did a quick search on Google and this was the first page I found. http://www.primitiveways.com/knots.html
They even have several knots you can use.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #2 - May 28th, 2005 at 6:28pm

thanks willeke Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

hellier

Betwixt a rock and a hard
place

Airlie Beach QLD Australia
Reply #3 - May 28th, 2005 at 9:16pm

A sheepshank will do well, pull the centre of the three and you have a rope trigger....tie one end to the bitter end of your cut rope and the other to a suitable strong point and.... away you go.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #4 - May 29th, 2005 at 9:24am

ill try both Smiley

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

hellier

Betwixt a rock and a hard
place

Airlie Beach QLD Australia
Reply #5 - May 30th, 2005 at 12:01am

Or a buntline hitch....probably even better...make a loop in the bitter end of the release rope, then from the strong point you form a bight and push it through the loop, then with the bitter end of that bight go back through the bight....pull the end of it when you need to shoot....the more pressure on it the better it holds and it will release under extreme loads....Ashleys Book of Knots.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 30th, 2005 at 8:57am

Sounds more like a bow problem than a string problem.  Basically, your wood sounds weak, weak as hell.
Quote:
so much power that every thing i try to use for a release gets wedged into the wood and needs the bow string to be taken off of it for me to even try to get it out. 
Explain what release mechanism you've tried - if the wood is too weak, then just tone down the power of the bow, unwind the torsion strings a bit.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #7 - May 30th, 2005 at 10:19am

the release i was using was a nail that fitted into a hole, not sung the nail would drop if i did not hold it. i would then pull the cord back and over the nail. the nail would be held so tightly agenst the wood that hitting it did not get it out.

i can get those torsion strings so tight that the baillista has about 50 pounds of pull and thats a conservative estimation.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 31st, 2005 at 4:16pm

Fifty pounds is pretty good.
  So by letting go of the nail, you shoot the weapon?  Is that not a little bit haphazard?
  I'd set up a nice neat peg trigger.  Could easily cope with fifty pounds, is probably more efficient than your nail, and the bolts can be aimed more easily, probably.  Can you take some more photos of the ballista?

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #9 - Jun 1st, 2005 at 5:38pm

ok i will give me a little while to get around to it.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)