Hunting with sling (Read 38035 times)
MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Re: Hunting with sling
Reply #30 - May 24th, 2005 at 8:35pm

tito, an atlatl is a tool devised about 35,000 years ago to deliver more force and power behind a javelin like projectile than is possible by arm force alone. It's basically a 2' long piece of wood or bone with a handle on one end and a spur or groove which engages the projectile on the other. It functions as a lever to increase the length of the arm and deliver the dart with exponentially more force. You throw overhand with it, like a baseball, and reportedly, they could take down mammoths with these thousands of years ago.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #31 - May 24th, 2005 at 8:36pm

haha an atlalt also known as a speer thrower, was used by lots of diffrent countrys, basicly it was a thing that you held or strapped onto your arm and it was used to throw these big long flectched darts. Very very strong.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #32 - May 24th, 2005 at 8:42pm

Yeah, the darts that I throw with look like 6 foot long arrows and tend to scare the hell out of people not familiar with the weapon, which is most people. I can usually get between 50 and 70 yards with a single throw, although the world record is over 880 ft with a carbon fibre atlatl and aluminum dart.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

SLINGEROO
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #33 - May 24th, 2005 at 8:42pm

Wow! I sure started something with this question.  Shocked I would have to say that hummmmmm is missing the very obvious and that is that the sling is a weapon that has been documented to be used in many wars. Why, if it would just leave a little bruse would it ever continue to be used as a weapon? Most humans are bigger than deer last time I checked. The only reason from my understanding that it stopped being used as a weapon is because the technology of the bow and gun and so on became better and easier to use. My whole point to posting this question in the first place was to find out which techniques people used not if it was possable. I can not even understand how someone would doubt its ability to kill.
Slingeroo

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #34 - May 24th, 2005 at 8:46pm

used in many wars? its still being used in war today! you know its got to be good if its still being used alongside machenguns.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #35 - May 24th, 2005 at 8:57pm

yes, somehow I cant see palestinians trying to bruise the israelis

palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #36 - May 24th, 2005 at 9:00pm

haha yes i would love to hear what they have to say about hmmmm's argument.  Smiley

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Tyler
Tiro

sling it, sling it good

Ramona, California
Reply #37 - May 24th, 2005 at 10:41pm

Doug, they might put up the best argument.  Some of those guys have probably killed men with sling stones.  Of corse that is obvious.

IP Logged

Tito

Australia
Reply #38 - May 24th, 2005 at 11:18pm

yeh, i would agree with you there Tyler. they certantly would have killed with a sling already. Wink
an altatl is a spear thrower. 8) thanks. cos i was wondering what everyone was talkign about when they were saying altatl, all they needed to do was say spear thrower and i would have understood.

Tito

That's one small sling for David. One giant headache for Goliath.&&The safest place to stand when I sling, is right in front of me!

IP Logged

Coenie Greyling

Reply #39 - May 25th, 2005 at 5:38am

Mat 7:6  Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Tell me what the above passage is about please atheist!

To be an atheist is to say that you do not believe in something that you do not believe in anyway, in other words if it was not for the Almighty God, what would you call youself and what would you rebel against?

Anyway, enough of that. I have been slinging for app 3 months and have come very close to hitting a bird out of the air and I am sure if I were more experienced it would have been a hit. Unfortunatly I am not without injury because of slinging, Damadged my rotator cuff in my shoulder using the weaver overarm throw.

IP Logged

Leeds_Lobber

Reply #40 - May 25th, 2005 at 8:00am

Hmmmmmm's initial post was worded badly enough to get everyone's back up, but his basis point is fair - i would guess many of us are not good enough with the sling to 'hunt' with it, in the sense that were we to be stranded in the countryside with nothing else, we would probably starve. Speakling personally I would use my Sling to make Rabbit Snares  Grin

But I suspect you could say the same thing about most weapons web sites; I bet 90% of the members of "Rednecks who like shootin off their guns.com" are lard-ass city boys like me.

The sling certainly can kill, and i have spent the last few weeks desperately searching for the references for a discussion some US observers had about watching Ethiopian Regular Army Soldiers using the sling as a grenade launcer !

Last thing, I am a fanatical Atheist, but that wouldn't stop me using the bible as a purely Historical source, esp numbers, judges, kings and the other Israelite / Judean history issues are stored. Most modern historians accept the basic outline of the history of Israel and Judea as covered in the Bible.

(In my view David Killing Goliath with a sling was a bit of a Gyp. Goliath gets all armoured up and issues a challenge to his opposite numbers among the Hebrews... and some kid pops him with a missile weapon ? Thats not in the rules, and were I a Philistine I would have demanded a rematch and a fair fight, and David's head on a plate as a Peace Offering!)

Pat

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #41 - May 25th, 2005 at 8:22am

Coenie makes a good point, but I call myself an atheist to differentiate myself from the people who do believe in God. This is difficult, I think, to articulate, and I'm not going to get into a big theological discussion here. There are three categories; believers in god, not sure, and non-believers. I'm not saying that I don't believe in your god, I'm saying I don't believe in the idea or validity of any gods. It's not just your god, it's the idea or the concept of gods I don't believe in.

palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Coenie Greyling

Reply #42 - May 25th, 2005 at 8:51am

Nothing from the bible will be revealed unto you purely because you are blind (not talking about where you look to sling a stone). Discarding your false sense of believe at a drop of a comment shows how deep and falid your believe is. Lips Sealed

Like that verse says not to throw your pearls to the swine is the same as not waisting the word of God on somebody that has already heard the truth but denies it. Shocked

Anyway I realy enjoy this site in regards to slinging but as it seems to me from the southern tip of  Africa, people can't leave politics and religion out of anything. Little bit sad ain't it.

IP Logged

Leeds_Lobber
Descens

its ok, they couldn't
hit an elephant at aaaaargh

Leeds UK
Reply #43 - May 25th, 2005 at 9:33am

Yeah, who brought up religion anyhow? Never a good idea in a public forum, as too many diferent views on it.

So, is HMMMMMMMMM a slinger, or does he just wander in and out of Forii annoying people? I spotted a post by him on another topic that was perfectly reasonable.....

Pat

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #44 - May 25th, 2005 at 12:37pm

I think I made the mistake of stating that I referred to the bible as an allusion for a certain target group to grasp the concept of what a sling is.  Holy Zarquon's singing fish...why must some people feel compelled to force their viewpoints on everyone else?

palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15, Kick)