Send Topic Print
Hunting with sling (Read 38034 times)
Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Re: Hunting with sling
Reply #15 - May 24th, 2005 at 6:00pm

You need practice. you cant just pick a sling up and start picking birds out of the sky. I have been slinging for around 2 years and ive just started to get good and I can throw a rock with tremendous power, or with fare accuracy. Watch the videos in the articles section. its pretty impressive what someone real good at slinging can do. its an art not something that can just be picked up and used, like say a slingshot or bow.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #16 - May 24th, 2005 at 6:02pm

but you can load it up with big game ammo. lobohunter made sling ammo that could take down a deer. also i am positive that a lead gland could take down bigger ammo. You could take out a tank with a sling as long as you have the proper ammo for it.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #17 - May 24th, 2005 at 6:18pm

Okay, I'm an atheist, fair enough, but I always use the david and goliath allusion when first introducing anyone to the sling, because frankly, most of the world is Christian, and therefore familiar with the story. Say, for argument's sake, that the story is true, and shepherd DID kill a giant with a sling. Is hmmmmmm still ready to say that if that story was true, it is impossible to bring down large game when a sling can kill a say, 300+ lb man? Large game is what? Any animal over 100 lbs? So, theoretically, this could include humans. And we do know slings to be lethal to humans, so its ability as a hunting weapon stands firm.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Markmyster

Reply #18 - May 24th, 2005 at 6:46pm

I have hunted with a sling, I shot, killed, and ate 3 ducks and a rabbit. I know I would starve if I had to depend on the sling for my food, but to say you can't hunt with it is just stupid. The sling is a weapon thats what weapons do. Most people in todays world are to lazy and expect instant gratification, that's why they don't get the concept of the sling. That's also why you will never buy one at walmart or find one in a box of cracker jacks.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #19 - May 24th, 2005 at 6:51pm

Quote:
...is it not mostly just fantacy
like D&D or SCA.

Absolutely not! Look at the historical uses of slings. It does require practice though. Most primitive hunting tools are pretty tough to use. Tell you what, you take a pointy stick hunting and I'll take a handful of rocks, even odds?

Less than 1/3 of the world is Christian...

The story of David and Goliath is Judaic, and is intergrated in both Christianity and Islam. David's reign is considered the beginning of a recognisable Jewish state. In Christianity, he is an ancestor of Jesus (required to fulfil some requirements of being Messiah) and Islam grants him prophet status himself.

I guess that covers half the planet.

Matthias

IP Logged

hmmmmmmmmmm

Reply #20 - May 24th, 2005 at 6:53pm

MammotHunter an  atheist who quotes the bible which by default he must think as fiction. Douglas_The_Black says the sling is an artist weapon. Giving martial artist there do is there really such a thing.

Just because Lobohunter made sling ammo that could take down a deer. Does not mean that ammo can and will. It also seem by default we are acknowledging the inaccuracy of the sling by not mentioning small game any more

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #21 - May 24th, 2005 at 7:59pm

i have taken down some small game with just old rocks, also i have taken out birds with "flak" you could get a few birds at a time if you use a "flak" shot into a big group of them. For small game you just need to have lots and lots of practice. there is a movie somewhere on this site of someone hitting a soda can with a stone at a pretty good distance. The sling could never be as good as lets say a trap, or a gun at catching game but you could use it for hunting. And you can make a sling faster then you could make a trap.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #22 - May 24th, 2005 at 8:01pm

No, I said I refer to the bible, I never said I quoted it. I refer to the DaG story because most americans (if your current government is any standard) are christians and would better grasp the allusion to a biblical story than a historical tyrade on the differences between slings and slingshots.  And though I do believe probably upwards of 98% of the stuff contained therein to be fiction or allegorical, I do think there are certain aspects which may hold relevence or truth, at least in concept if not execution. And thanks, Matthias, for setting me straight on the statistics for global religion. It seems I've had my figures mixed up. And what do you mean we've stopped mentioning small game? Didn't Markmyster just mention having taken down 3 ducks and a rabbit? Roll Eyes
I suppose your next absurd theory is going to be regarding the lack of power behind an atlatl dart, right?

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #23 - May 24th, 2005 at 8:12pm

Why are we argueing with this guy? It's like being back in kindergarten again. "My Dad could so beat up your dad! Na ah! My Dad was in prison and he could whip your Dad's ass!"

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #24 - May 24th, 2005 at 8:13pm

the atlatl is one of my favorte ranged weapons. I wasent much impressed with it untill i threw the blunt dart at a wood target, then i was impressed. Smiley

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #25 - May 24th, 2005 at 8:14pm

Na ah! My Dad says that in prison you tape a phonebook to your chest and an atatl can't hurt you!

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #26 - May 24th, 2005 at 8:16pm

here is that movie i was talking  about.

http://www.slinging.org/12.html

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #27 - May 24th, 2005 at 8:17pm

haha i dont know mike i wouldent trust any book if an atlatl with a head on it was being thrown at me.  Smiley

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Tito

Australia
Reply #28 - May 24th, 2005 at 8:21pm

i agree completly that you can hunt almost any game with a sling and good sized ammo. anything from a bird to a medium sized deer is a whole lot of animals for the picking. i am fairly accurate with my sling but i still haven't hit anything yet.  
M.H. And the next absurd theory should be Goliath was actually a midgit and David was a woman. 8)
i am a bit slow, but what is an atlatl?
Tito

That's one small sling for David. One giant headache for Goliath.&&The safest place to stand when I sling, is right in front of me!

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #29 - May 24th, 2005 at 8:22pm

Hey! "Little person" please.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)