Send Topic Print
fletching for speed (Read 2926 times)
hellier

Betwixt a rock and a hard
place

Airlie Beach QLD Australia
fletching for speed
May 22nd, 2005 at 8:20am

It's judt a supposition....but as the terminal velocity of a goose feather, which is what I've used in the past, is slower than that of a raptor, I'm wondering if I should re work my arrows with raptor feathers? any thoughts before a great undertaking would be welcomed

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Re: fletching for speed
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2005 at 8:32am

#1: The feathers of birds of prey are not to be used by anyone - it's illegal.
#2:  All you need to do to ensure speedy flights of arrows is reduce the height of the fletch.  In Asia, traditionally, the feathers would be cut to the same width as the arrow shaft.  Any feathers will, therefore, be fine.
#3:  The arrows of the fabled longbowmen of the middle ages were fletched with goose feathers.  They should be fine.

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2005 at 10:20am

Illegal where? Don't you live in australia? Anyway I think english is right, it is the area of the feather not the bird it came from. Unless raptor feathers are much lighter per square cm than goose feathers. Are they?

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2005 at 1:42pm

I think all feathers weighed about the same.  And in any case, a miniscule amount of extra weight is not going to affect the flight of an arrow.  I like to also follow historical precedents - if something was used somewhere, there must be a reason for it, and if goose feathers were used on arrows that had to be able to punch through late-medieval French armour, then surely they are good enough for anyone.

IP Logged

hellier

place

Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2005 at 11:30pm

Weeelll, here in Australia we get a lot of wedge tailed eagles that get hit in road traffic accidents...find 'em lying by the roadside all the time...and I was just wondering if it would make any difference in speed, flight and so on...might sound different too....just a thought really...

IP Logged

Leeds_Lobbers

Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2005 at 7:48am

Using the feathers of a Raptor to make a slightly better arrow is like using a beautiful woman as a crash-barrier for motor-sports...... sure, it will work, but they look better 'on the wing'.

I would feel repugnance for anyone doing so, whether they came from a 'dead one found lying by the side of the road' or not!

Now, my wife...... thats a different circumstance. Were you to find HER lying dead by the side of the road, I wouldn't ask any difficult questions..........

Pat

IP Logged

hellier

place

Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2005 at 8:31pm

I'd love to nip down to the local pond and scavenge a few wild goose feathers but unfortunately that would involve driving to Adelaide....like hopping in the car and going from London to Moscow....so picking a few feathers from some poor roadkill victim just seems ok to me...over here it is illegal to trap, poison, kill wedge tails and so far no one I've spoken too knows if it's illegal to use parts of an already dead one....sentimentally I can see peoples points but I'm just thinking that if I have a ready supply of something and I'm not killing anything to get it, what is wrong with it...my query originally was as to wether they'd be any good for the task....but I seem to have opened a pandora's box so nuff said....

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #7 - May 23rd, 2005 at 10:05pm

My advice would be to do whatever you want and to hell with what people say.

IP Logged

hellier

place

Reply #8 - May 24th, 2005 at 12:12am

Absolutely...and thanks by the way...How did you go with the black bears ? I've been thinking of going north for scrub bulls....or west for pigs...either way it's expensive....s'posed to be some pigs round here but I've not seen any evidence yet.....do you know about fletching shapes ?  seen all types but not tried them...is their some arcane mystery behind them....tried to cut some with a hot knife but whoa it's hard to get symmetry (can't spell either ).... Cry

IP Logged

Leeds_Lobber

Reply #9 - May 24th, 2005 at 6:34am

Hell, don't get me wrong - i admit my opinion is merely sentimental, and morally there is nothing wrong with using parts of an already dead animal..... merely how i would feel, which is really irrelevant.

Pat

Quote:
I'd love to nip down to the local pond and scavenge a few wild goose feathers but unfortunately that would involve driving to Adelaide....like hopping in the car and going from London to Moscow....so picking a few feathers from some poor roadkill victim just seems ok to me...over here it is illegal to trap, poison, kill wedge tails and so far no one I've spoken too knows if it's illegal to use parts of an already dead one....sentimentally I can see peoples points but I'm just thinking that if I have a ready supply of something and I'm not killing anything to get it, what is wrong with it...my query originally was as to wether they'd be any good for the task....but I seem to have opened a pandora's box so nuff said....

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #10 - May 24th, 2005 at 10:55am

I don't see a problem with it, so long as it's not illegal, you aren't harming a live bird, and you make some gorgeous arrows.  They have to be really pretty.  Make the arrows only when you are feeling good, use some good quality shafts, use either homemade bindings or some good quality silk - don't squander the flights, man!
 Symmetry is the aim... there are some many fletching styles.  If you want symmetry easily, then glue and lash the feathers on and cut with scissors.  It's not totally paleo, but...  Anyways, they are as you say many styles.  Choose one that looks nice - there is no secret, just cut to the shape you see.  Practise on some rubbish feathers before you go right in there with your nice ones.  Splitting feathers for flights is an art, so get that right too.  It's not difficult at all, you just need the knack.

IP Logged

britishslinger

slings the handheld arlilery

Reply #11 - May 26th, 2005 at 4:29pm

for symmatry bend a piece of wire to the corect shape heat it up and press it on the feather they all come out exactly the same

listen to old people

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark)