Send Topic Print
carving (Read 2998 times)
snapback
Tiro

snap back to reallity

port alberni
carving
May 19th, 2005 at 10:18pm

a couple nights ago i went to my frends for a barbecue. he is interested in swords knifes the like. sometimes i just like to pick up a stick and start wittling. i did that there and i came up with a sword like thing. i fasioned a handle and made a nice sword outb of wood. anyone else do that?

beware of the horses hoof the bulls horns and the saxons smile.&&old irish proverb from irish proverbs and sayings.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Re: carving
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2005 at 8:51am

i have carved swords out of wood then cut a pice out of the middle to put led in. I dumped the idea and just went with some rebar.

For mock fights wooden swords and hard rubber swords are what i like to use.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2005 at 10:37am

Quite a long time ago I read a book called "A book of five rings" by Miyamoto Musashi. He was a famous duelist in japan in the 16th century. He dueled and killed a huge amount of samurai, many duels he fought with a wooden sword (boken). The exact number of duels eludes me but I think it was 63. He traveled all over japan working as a ronin, and finding masters of different weapons and fighting styles and duelsing them.
Later in life he taught a unique kendo style he called niten (sp?) we meant "two skys" or "two heavens" depending on which translation you get. It was called this because he would use both his swords. Katana and wakizashi in the off hand. This was quite different from the traditional wisdom of kendo.

He must have been quite a unique guy, he wrote poetry and songs,wrote a book, has since come to be venerated as a kinsei (sword saint) and supposedly never took a bath for years on end because he had so many enemies he didn't want to be surprised in the tub!

IP Logged

Leeds_Lobber

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2005 at 11:09am

I have used a Bokken, they are nowadays made of strips of bamboo ties lightly together so that most of the force absorbed by them - it still hurts a lot. The real solid wooden Bokken Musashi used is a bitch - it has an 'edge' and everything.

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2005 at 8:39pm

When I was a kid we were taught with the edged wooden bokens. They are like a baseball bat with a hard edge. Needless to say there were injuries and also needless to say our sensei told us to suck it up.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #5 - May 21st, 2005 at 9:26am

haha me and my little brother just beat each other with big sticks.  Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #6 - May 21st, 2005 at 12:58pm

I don't know if this is unique to canada or not but when we were kids one of our favorite games (next the ever popular ROCK FIGHT!) was Hockey fight. We would put on our hockey helmets and gloves and then beat the hell out of each other.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #7 - May 21st, 2005 at 7:46pm

I thought hockey IS  to beat each other up with gloves and helmets! Wink The stick is be thrown down just before the game begin, isn't that right? ???

I took a class in Iaido and praticed with real swords.  That was pretty cool.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 26th, 2005 at 12:10pm

You know, Musashi was almost unbeaten.  Only one man was able to defeat him, and probably only because he made it his life aim - Muso Gonnosuke.  He was a stick fighter, who had been defeated by Musashi (in one blow from a stick), but went into isolation for a long time, before reemerging and duelling Musashi.  Musashi, though, was very, very cool - artistic, learned, skillful but humble.  The Book of Five Rings is the ultimate guide to oriental fighting, apart from the Art of War.  Sticks are probably the best weapons in the world - a seasoned stick of hazel, just less than an inch wide, about three and a half feet long, is, in my view, THE close combat weapon.  A fold up cavalry crossbow, a walking stick as described, a sleeping mat, coolie hat, a pellet bow string, some wooden soled sandals and a long robe.  That's all you need.

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #9 - May 26th, 2005 at 12:24pm

Right you are. I'm using the same excuse for why I'm not taking a bath. It is a very good book. I was never very good at using duel swords but give me one wooden sword and I'm trouble.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner)