Fink Angel (Read 2223 times)
Leeds_Lobber
Descens

its ok, they couldn't
hit an elephant at aaaaargh

Leeds UK
Fink Angel
May 18th, 2005 at 7:50am

It was Fink Angel that inspired me to start slinging. He was an absentee member of the Angel Gang, and he lived in a cave with his intelligent Pet Rat, Ratty. Both Fink and Ratty wore matching bowler Hats.

Fink used his sling to shoot small steel spiked balls, dipped in poisen (or pizen, i should say) and his last victim was Ratty, who got a spiked pizen ball in the flank as he leaped at Judge Dredd's face.

My first sling made as a young boy neglected some fundamental points. The 'pouch' had no 'pouchiness' to it, and the first time i used it i shot the huge lumpy rock i was using  20 feet behind me onto a main road.

What inspired everyone else to start slinging ?

(i reached 150 yards last night using the sideways technique firing cement balls. I am impressed by cement. Lead goes further, but i have no way of measuring how far - you can't see them fall and can't find them when you look. )

IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Sling when you're winning

Near Manchester, England
Re: Fink Angel
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2005 at 12:55pm

I was studying centrifugal (really centripetal, but thats another issue) and we were talking about slings and other uses of it.  From there a quick google search found this site.
Rik

I'm slinging in the rain, such a glorious feeling...

IP Logged

Tito

Australia
Reply #2 - May 18th, 2005 at 8:42pm

i was reading a book called Clubs to Cannon, a Development of Medieval Weapons. an in it they mentioned the sling and the awesome power of it (400m+). so i thought that i HAD to make one. i went on google, found the instructions for a cupped sling, but when that cupped sling didn't work, i made a simple braided sling and was hooked from the first throw.
Tito

That's one small sling for David. One giant headache for Goliath.&&The safest place to stand when I sling, is right in front of me!

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #3 - May 19th, 2005 at 9:13pm

I one day during summer made a sling, it was junk the pouch was part of a bra. a little too big.  Smiley it was a joke sling. i did not like how it worked and then i heard of the staff sling. I liked the staff sling better, but i couldent take it any where. So i tryed the sling once more using a design on this site. It worked so good i just carred it with me. Now im hooked.  Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

snapback
Tiro

snap back to reallity

port alberni
Reply #4 - May 19th, 2005 at 9:36pm

i got mine from the redwall series by brian jaques. they are my favorite series. though he didn't mention wat they were he was saying that they used them in a siege.

beware of the horses hoof the bulls horns and the saxons smile.&&old irish proverb from irish proverbs and sayings.

IP Logged

Thori
Descens

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2005 at 10:37pm

I'm not at all certain where I first heard about the sling - most likely the David and Goliath story.  I remember doing a preliminary Google on the subject and finding only Jim Burdine's site which, while extremely impressive, wasn't very helpful to the unitiated.  So, I set about knitting a roughly 5"x5" square of material and fixing cords to each corner.  Configured this way, one had to control all four cords, which made it a bit awkward.

Anyhow, I took it to an empty park with some friends, who proved much better at it than I.  However, I found slinging.org shortly after and have been impressing them ever since, both with the slings themselves and with distance. Smiley

IP Logged

hellier

Betwixt a rock and a hard
place

Airlie Beach QLD Australia
Reply #6 - May 21st, 2005 at 2:59am

I was at a re enactment with a mate who'd made a few slings...I had a go and found it great fun to lob new potatoes at the advancing saxons.... Grin

IP Logged

me

I sling therefore I am.

Rowlett, TX, USA
Reply #7 - May 21st, 2005 at 2:28pm

Started slinging when I was eleven or twelve. One of the first things I remember about my slinging days was hurling half a brick through a guys leaded plate glass window. Its all been down hill from there.  Wink

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #8 - Sep 18th, 2019 at 8:10pm

I just read the first appearance of Fink Angel and thought "I should see if he's come up before on the forum!" I should never have doubted. It might be from 2005 and a thread populated entirely by no longer active members, but still it's here Cheesy
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2019 at 1:18pm by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

GurtTractor
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

UK, Scotland
Reply #9 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 5:48am

I noticed that the Skaven slingers in Total Warhammer II also use spiked balls as ammunition, the little Warhammer models also -

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 6:29am

damn, I had completely forgotten about fink angel !

Spiked balls - Hmm.
Lobo hunter once made some spiked glandes. But having the spike against the pouch would probably cause issues. .
Possibly a use for the kevlar pouch Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #11 - Sep 19th, 2019 at 6:39am

I can see a lot of potential tangling problems. I wouldn't want a poisoned spike ball coming back at me...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15)