Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Forge improvements (Read 1991 times)
Klarh

The Ultimate Newbie

Jackson, Tennessee
Forge improvements
May 14th, 2005 at 3:49pm

I've made a gas forge with the design found at [url]http://www.jamesriser.com/Machinery/GasForge/PropaneForge.html[/url] , but it doesn't seem to be getting hot enough. I can only heat iron up to a dull reddish-orange(I'm pretty sure, haven't tried it in a while). I've tried getting a few ashes in among the bricks, but can't tell very much of a difference. About the only difference between the forge in that page and mine is that I used a different kind of firebrick(the only kind I could find) that was harder, not soft; as a result of this, the hole I drilled wasn't very good-the brick cracked around. Is there anything I can do to make it heat more effectively? Or, maybe even a different design I could use(hopefully with the same materials, so I wouldn't have to go buy a lot more stuff)...

IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Sling when you're winning

Near Manchester, England
Re: Forge improvements
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2005 at 10:41am

Not knowing much about this, but the problem could be the hole, is it the one for the blower.  If it is and the hole is cracked you might be loosign air power and heat.  If thats it you could try sealing it up or putting a pipe in or somethign.
Thers a big forge/blacksmithing topic in the Administration topic aswell btw.
Rik

I'm slinging in the rain, such a glorious feeling...

IP Logged

Klarh

The Ultimate Newbie

Jackson, Tennessee
Reply #2 - May 15th, 2005 at 5:08pm

The hole is nothing compared to what must be coming out the front and the back; maybe I need to rearrange the bricks for a smaller chamber...

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #3 - May 16th, 2005 at 5:19am

hmmm you are probaly going to need soft fire brick
heres a pic of my small one brick forge that runs on nothing but a propane torch I have brought many of a rail road spike up to bright yellow
i know the pick isnt good but it basicly a soft brick hollowed out then a small holed drilled in the side for the propane torch my is in cased in miled steel to preserve it.

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Klarh

The Ultimate Newbie

Jackson, Tennessee
Reply #4 - May 16th, 2005 at 5:17pm

Where might I get some of this soft brick? I looked at the local fireplace store, and this seemed to be all they had(besides some thinner stuff). Is there some way to make something similar(like making lots of air bubbles in regular clay or something)? Or maybe some other place that might have them?

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #5 - May 17th, 2005 at 2:53am

well you can use K wool but I would look in the yellow pages under fire brick and call around if one place doesnt have ask if they know who does. Warning soft brick is not cheap averages about five bucks a brick around here compared to the hard brick of less than a buck

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Bill Skinner)