Videos! (Read 18129 times)
Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: Videos!
Reply #60 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 6:28am

The plesure is all mine, mate! Wink

I hope you'll have time to check out my other video.  It is more up to date and i have learnt a few more skills:

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1156823087/0#0

I believe Zorro went to the competition one year and brought back some pictures.  Not sure if he gave it a try though.......

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #61 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 5:05am

Thanks again. I only have dial up at home so downloading videos is slow. I'll have to be patient.

The reason I ask about the Balearic Island competition is that it gives us all a ready way to compare accuracy. For instance I can hit the 50 cm central circle of their standard target at 20m about 50% of the time even though both my technique and equipment would disqualify me from competing. However for comparison amongst ourselves we could shoot a standard "Balearic Round" with equipment of our choosing and calculate our theoretical score to be posted in the same way that distance attempts are at present. What do you think?

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #62 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 11:58am

Having watched the baleric comp videos. I wasn't very impressed with the slinging skills - good to see lots of people doing it, but they definitely only seemd to do it at slow speed for the target. Personally I'd have liked to see longer distances and things to knock over - but then I'm like that lol 

On a slightly different tangent, I presume the chap playing the tuba is your brother tint, so who's playing the piano ?  :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #63 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 2:39pm

May be it's stupid question, but what is "lol"?

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #64 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 2:42pm

funda_iucunda wrote on Jan 10th, 2007 at 2:39pm:
May be it's stupid question, but what is "lol"?

Laughing out loud?

IP Logged

southpaw
Descens

Reply #65 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 2:44pm

lol = laughing out loud.  Grin (like this guy)

I think....

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #66 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 3:57am

thanks courious_aardvark, I didn't know about the tuba video untill you mentioned it.  The woman playing the piano is my mom!!!!

Funda_iucunda,

I asked the same question when I first joined the forum!  So I guess it is not so stupid a question! LOL

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #67 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 4:54am

[Having watched the baleric comp videos. I wasn't very impressed with the slinging skills - good to see lots of people doing it, but they definitely only seemd to do it at slow speed for the target. Personally I'd have liked to see longer distances and things to knock over - but then I'm like that lol   :-) [/quote]

Haven't seen the video but understand what you mean about the power. Field archery has a similar problem. It is meant to simulate hunting but archers use equipment that would be unsuitable to really kill the animals pictured on the targets.

I was partcularly impressed by the article about Grandfather the Apache Indian. Here was a man who actually survived on his slinging skills. No room for excuses here, both power and superb accuracy as well as the legendary stalking skills of native hunters; all essential or one starves to death or gets killed by the enemy. But evidently he preferred to shoot at no more than 30m or so.

What I would like to see would be some standard way of measuring ourselves in such a real life environment. Suggestions?

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #68 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 6:05am

Unfortunately real live enviroment provides no standard. That's the reason why we love sports and games, I suppose.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #69 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 7:09am

Listen hitting a moving target at 30 m - that's bloody impressive. Much beyond that and I'd have difficulty seeing something small well enough to hit :-) Grandad apache certainly was good.
Yep that's slinging.

The best thing about the balearic slinging is that it keeps the skill alive and I suppose if they want to go sling in a different way there's nothing to stop them. I'm just more of a power slinger lol
Yep it's laughing out loud (also grinning like a loon :-)

There's two videos of your brother tint. wonder why he didn't tell you lol
So apart from you you're a musical family then. I'm guessing you dismembered your first violin to make a sling ;-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #70 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 8:26pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1115875122/60#69 date=1168517372]I'm guessing you dismembered your first violin to make a sling ;-)

[/quote]

How did you know???? :o

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)