Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Archemedies claw (Read 11834 times)
Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: Archemedies claw
Reply #45 - Jun 12th, 2005 at 6:38pm

The hole helps you aim.... I don't understand what the pipe and BB for?

The technique for sighting a signaling mirror is pretty simple: look through the hole so that your target is centered. Tilt mirror until the reflection of the spot of light that came through the hole lines up with the hole. Fast and accurate! You only need one hole, and the inside of the mirror somewhat reflective as well.

Matthias

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #46 - Jun 12th, 2005 at 10:28pm

oh i thought you where talking to me Smiley

I have been playing with brass mirrors trying to make a "light lazer" with them. Do i need to angel all the focal ponts so they will all be the same? that is going to be hard. or at the very least time consuming Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Jun 12th, 2005 at 10:38pm

Quote:
The hole helps you aim.... I don't understand what the pipe and BB for?

The technique for sighting a signaling mirror is pretty simple: look through the hole so that your target is centered. Tilt mirror until the reflection of the spot of light that came through the hole lines up with the hole. Fast and accurate! You only need one hole, and the inside of the mirror somewhat reflective as well.

Matthias

an extending pipe is to point the mirror the right way. A soldered-on BB is mostly for aesthetics, but if you point it like a shotgun- you should hit the right spot
If you are confused- look at a shotgun and imagine sawing off the barrel and perpendicularly sticking it out of a mirror and cutting a slit thru the mirror to see through towards the target

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #48 - Jun 13th, 2005 at 12:00am

Right, except the way I'm reading your explanation it won't work. The mirror doesn't "beam" the light straight forward like some sort of magic death ray, it just reflects it.

Imagine standing facing your target due south, and the sun is rising in the east. If you aim you mirror via shotgun device at the target, the sun-beam will hit somewhere off to the west. In order to hit the target, you need to aim the mirror at a point midway along the straight line connecting the sun and target. Since this is a "virtual" point, you can't aim the mirror effectively with a fixed sight.

The simple "signal mirror" style aiming method deals with all of this quite nicely. It is deadly accurate, and all you need is a small hole. Give it a try!

Matthias

IP Logged

theostravos
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #49 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 4:19pm

hellier wrote on May 15th, 2005 at 12:27am:
It may not have been needed or designed to burn ships....imagine if you will being on board a vessel about to lay seige to a port when all of a suden each crewmember on board is suddenly blinded by great big flashes of light coming from the target...it'd be a bit hard to aim effectively after that.... Undecided dont you think...

Regarding above... If my stone value mind works well. As far as I know, from the physicks in school, It was not the ships, initially. It was the sails and the covers, or shades that were usually made of straw and cloths. Hollow mirrors, checked for a distance in the see, big enough, could do the job. Problem is that the mirrors, was not of mercury as now. Polished extremely expensive and rather rare metal. So, as far as we know, only one was build.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus)