Send Topic Print
Archemedies claw (Read 11831 times)
Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Re: Archemedies claw
Reply #30 - May 30th, 2005 at 8:08pm

im very intrested in this now. i dont think archemedies would have mirrors but what about polished brass or copper? I'm going to give it a shot, any hints you could give me would be helpfull.

Lobo it would be cool to have a light forge Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Shaun
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Pleasant Hope, Mo
Reply #31 - May 30th, 2005 at 9:24pm

Techstuf, Is that a fresnel lens you are talking about? I love those things 8)  
A quick google search returned this  
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bclee/lens.html
I've got to get one of those

<?php&& $id = $_GET[

IP Logged

me

I sling therefore I am.

Rowlett, TX, USA
Reply #32 - May 31st, 2005 at 12:39am

Is a light forge where you make light sabers? Smiley

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #33 - May 31st, 2005 at 8:23am

well you could have a real long lightsaber with one of those...hey a light shield or buckler to go with your saber! 8)

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Sling when you're winning

Near Manchester, England
Reply #34 - May 31st, 2005 at 11:37am

If this mirror trick was used,couldnt it be easily countered by simply reflecting the light back?
Rik

I'm slinging in the rain, such a glorious feeling...

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #35 - Jun 1st, 2005 at 5:35pm

i dont know if they would of thought of that. i think that they would of seen that there sails and clothing where catching on fire say "oh poopy" and then run. i know i would of.  Smiley

I a magnafining glass that i use to use to melt those green army men, with. today i broke it out of its storage and was burning other things with it and reflecting it at stuff with a mirror. I burnt my self pretty bad becase i was courious to how quickly it could burn. Trust me when i say it burns quick and hurts bad Smiley

Now that i acctuly cased harm to myself i want to make a verson of this primitve lazer. Should i have a perfectly round and smooth bowl made of brass, with a smaller brass mirror to take the light from the big mirrors and bounce it to places or should i have smaller brass mirrors angeld so that they reflect and bounce the light off of those into a smaller aiming mirror.  ???

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

me

I sling therefore I am.

Rowlett, TX, USA
Reply #36 - Jun 2nd, 2005 at 1:34am

Doug atta boy, masochisim in the name of science!
No idea about your question but I was wondering if we actually know what kind of mirror Archimedes had.
He was supposed to be hundreds of years ahead of most scientists of his time so maybe he had something like we have today. Really have no idea, anyone else know?

IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Sling when you're winning

Near Manchester, England
Reply #37 - Jun 2nd, 2005 at 5:10am

Maybe this topic should be changed to Archimedes Mirror!
Whilst the foot soldiers would have fled from the 'burning light' at first, when the generals and 'brains' got together surely the would have come up with this?  After all, it wasnt the foot oldiers of Syracause who came up with htis idea, it was Archimedes, it is likely that the Syracausians would have been in equal awe of this weapon, just being glad it wasnt pointed at them!
Rik

I'm slinging in the rain, such a glorious feeling...

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #38 - Jun 2nd, 2005 at 11:52am

i will have to get a picture of where i burned my arm with the magnafying glass. Its pretty cool, and the reason i was thinking brass is: its realitvely cheap and common, it is shiney, and they would of had it back then. It tarnishes real quick and you would think that they would keep there lazer around for future defense, so that there would be some achealogical remaines but who knows.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Jun 11th, 2005 at 11:37pm

I always figured that me and maybe about 30 of my friends could make flat mirrorlike shields, with a small hole, about the size of a quarter, in the upper part of the mirror, then extend a pipe, weld on a BB, like a shot gun sight, and have them stand in a baseball stand pointing at nearby trees or airplanes. I seriously bet you could burn something. ]
About those frehnel lenses, they are awesome. I saw some pictures of that in a book called Gadgets and Gizmos, challenge your inner geek, and a guy used a frehnel lense to burn holes in steel plate, and pennies

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #40 - Jun 11th, 2005 at 11:45pm

Ever use a signaling mirror? All you need is the hole...

Matthias

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #41 - Jun 12th, 2005 at 10:32am

yes but would a signaling mirror have enough power to burn something. I mean a big signaling mirror.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #42 - Jun 12th, 2005 at 1:16pm

Quote:
...They did the usual stupid 'only three days to make it in ' thing to try and add some spurious excitement. ...

I'm REALLY tired of that too!

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #43 - Jun 12th, 2005 at 3:23pm

Quote:
yes but would a signaling mirror have enough power to burn something. I mean a big signaling mirror.

Right if you had enough mirrors. I was talking about Hellfire's idea about making a complicated sighting arrangement...

Quote:
...make flat mirrorlike shields, with a small hole, about the size of a quarter, in the upper part of the mirror, then extend a pipe, weld on a BB, like a shot gun sight...

It is a piece of cake to hit an ship/airplane with the reflected spot of a mirror using the "hole" method. That is what a signaling mirror is for!

Using flat mirrors, the temperature that you'll be able to hit is basically a function of the number of mirrors you have. Unless you can bend/focus the reflector, the size of the mirror affects the size of the spot.

Matthias

IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Jun 12th, 2005 at 5:12pm

I'm right- it was a good idea.

It would basically look like a cross between a riot shield and a shotgun.
so long as all of my 30 friends were pointing at the same thing

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner)