Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Section on Barbarian Tribes (Read 5106 times)
xenophon2000
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Section on Barbarian Tribes
May 4th, 2005 at 2:20am

Hi all,

This is a sample of the Barbarian tribes section that I'm currently writing for project Goliath.  This particular part is on the Anglo-Saxon invasion of Romanized Britain in the 4th and 5th century AD.

Please ping me if anything is amiss or factually incorrect.  Thanks!

Defense of Britannia:

By the forth century AD, Britain’s population was composed mostly of Romanized Celts.  The populace of this province had been enfeebled by centuries of relative peace and civilization.  In this state of civic enfeeblement and military dependency to Rome, the Celts of Britain seemed ill-prepared to halt a Barbarian invasion.    The Angles and the Saxons were Germanic tribes who sailed out from the Jutland peninsula. At first, their raids upon Britannia were checked by the construction of so-called "Saxon shore forts." These shore forts were meant to guard the coasts as well as any river inlets.  However, with the decline of the Roman Empire, the safety of the province was no longer assured.  Angle and Saxon raids increased in frequency and intensity throughout the third century until entire towns along the coast of Britannia had been sacked and burnt to the ground.  Typical bands of Angles and Saxons fought on foot.  Their primary weapons were the axe, spear, shield, javelin, and the simple-bow (Wise 1986, 12;Brooks 1999, 46; Pollington 1996, 151-152).  Surprisingly, these two groups of barbarian tribes made sparing use of the sling, aside from a few ceremonial tapestries almost no artifact of Anglo-Saxon slingers have been found.  The Romanized Celts, on the other hand, have had a long heritage of deadly accuracy with the sling.  A skilled Celtic slinger could accurately cast a large pebble out to sixty yards, and inflict mortal damage at thirty yards (Cunliffe 1986, 112).    As the barbarian raids increased, and as Roman imperial power declined, the situation in Britannia came to a boiling point.               

In 410 AD, the Emperor Honorius sent a letter of great importance to the Roman province of Britannia. Barbarian pressure on Rome forced the emperor to recall the last of the legions remaining there.  Thus, when the legions left, the Romano-Celtic inhabitants were left to tend to their own defense.  With the Roman garrison gone, the Angles and Saxons could now sail into English rivers with impunity.  Many Celtic nobles, most notably Vortigen of Kent in 449 AD, exploited the Anglo-Saxons as mercenary forces for his army (Gildas, De Excidio Britanniae).  Vortigen, however, made one of the more regrettable, and at the same time, destiny-changing mistakes in British history. Upon completion of their tour of duty, Vortigen failed to pay his mercenaries with the land he had promised them. The Anglo-Saxons decided to take the land themselves. Now they became an occupying force; the Anglo-Saxons were here to stay.   

IP Logged

xenophon2000
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Re: Section on Barbarian Tribes
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2005 at 2:22am

Over decades of gradual colonization coupled with brutal warfare, much of the eastern coast of Britain fell under the control of the Anglo-Saxon tribes.  This harsh means of conquest, however, led to the unification of the British Celts under the able general Ambrosius Aurelius.  With great success, Aurelius and his forces fought back the Anglo Saxons.  The sling played a prominent role in the course of these savage battles.  Due to the greater range of the Celtic braided sling in comparison to the Saxon bow, Celtic slingers were able to rain volley after lethal volley of pebbles upon their enemies before coming into the range of Anglo-Saxon skirmishers.  This tactical advantage, when coupled with rapid follow-on Calvary attacks, proved devastating to the weakly formed shield walls of the Anglo-Saxon warriors.   Through the use of the Slingers and Calvary, Aurelius managed to gain a string of impressive victories against the Anglo-Saxon invaders.  It is long believed that the myth of King Arthur originated through the telling and re-telling of these epic battles.  The last and greatest victory of Aurelius was at the famed hill of Badon in the year 490 AD.  Upon that hill, the largest of the Anglo-Saxon armies had entrenched themselves.  According to the chronicles of Gildas and Bede, Aurelius and his Celtic forces laid siege to the hill:

These valiant Squadrons arm'd with Slings and Bows,
Brave Talmar led to charge the Gallic Foes.
A truly martial, but impetuous Fire
Did with immoderate heat his breast inspire.
Nobly impatient of unbounded Power,
He strove Britannia's Freedom to secure.
A brave Assertor of her ancient Laws,
Of Pious Arthur's, and the Christian Cause.

By most accounts, the siege lasted for three days.  Three days where Celtic slingers constantly bombarded the hill with stones and river-pebbles.  The Anglo-Saxon army was clearly demoralized and falling apart at the seams.  At the conclusion of the siege, a contingent of slingers and archers, guarded by a forward shield wall of Celtic infantry, advanced to the summit of Badon hill.  The unstoppable speed and accuracy of these projectiles routed the Saxon infantry and a general slaughter ensued.

By the account of Gildas, 960 Saxons fell on that day (Giles 1848, 237).  The Anglo-Saxons had suffered their worst defeat since their landing on the shores of Britannia.  And as for Aurelius, it was said that, out of rage for the Saxon enemy, the great warrior charged alone up the hill.   Armed only with his shield Pridwen and his famous sword Caliburn, Aurelius slew scores of Saxons in his fury before succumbing to the blows of the enemy defenders.  In his chronicles, Geldas surmised that this act of personal sacrifice, on the part of Aurelius, motivated the Celts to carry out their final advance.  Aurelius had gained an immense victory for his people and immortality for himself as the legendary King Arthur.

In the aftermath of the battle, the Anglo-Saxons were forced to sue for peace.  And the peace with the Celts lasted for fifty years.  The significance of Badon Hill cannot be underestimated.  The peace gained through this battle, changed the course of world history.  The extended period of non-aggression allowed the Celts to impress their Romanized high-culture upon the Saxons.  Along with the importation of Roman culture, the Christian faith had also entered the rude Anglo-Saxon society, greatly civilizing the spiritual and moral outlook of that people.  Thus, the sling, though it’s success at Badon Hill, re-shaped the face of Anglo-Saxon culture, and though this culture, the history of the English nation.    

Cunliffe, B. (1986). The Celtic world: an illustrated history of the Celtic race. England: Greenwich House.

Wise, T. (1986) Saxon, Viking and Norman. London: Osprey Publishing Ltd.

Pollington, S. (1996) The English Warrior from earliest times to 1066. Frithgarth: Anglo-Saxon Books.

Brooks, P. (1999) "Arms and Armour" In The Blackwell Encyclopedia of Anglo-Saxon England. edited by M.Lapidge, J.Blair, S.Keynes and Donald Scragg, Oxford: Blackwell Publishers Ltd, 45-47.

Bohn, H; Giles, J. (1848) “Six Old English Chronicles” London

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #2 - May 4th, 2005 at 6:16pm

cool i think it sounds good  Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

snapback
Tiro

snap back to reallity

port alberni
Reply #3 - May 10th, 2005 at 11:27pm

big with lots of long words. i like it.

beware of the horses hoof the bulls horns and the saxons smile.&&old irish proverb from irish proverbs and sayings.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2005 at 4:53am

960 Saxons eh?  I saw King Arthur last night.  A tad inaccurate, historically - the Saxon army looked to be about ten thousand, and they were all killed, not quite fitting with the accounts.  Other things include the lack of use of the sling (perhaps to make the Celts look more noble, using bows as missile weapons), and the use of the crossbow by the Saxons, who definitely did not use them - they were apparently stunned by the use of the crossbow at Hastings.  Also, in that film, the Saxon landing point was in Scotland, when in fact it would have been in or near Kent, in Vortigern's lands, and the Saxons would have been invited, rather than just rampaging.  It was a mad film, and your historical account, brilliant as it is, has brought that to me.  So that is a pretty much perfect piece.

IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Sling when you're winning

Near Manchester, England
Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2005 at 6:28am

I also didnt like the celts using trebuchet in king arthur, i msure thats not right
Rik

I'm slinging in the rain, such a glorious feeling...

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2005 at 9:23am

It was a "manual" trebuchet.  No weights, propelled by hand.  What a stupid thing.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #7 - Jun 1st, 2005 at 5:54pm

i read somewhere that the crusaders had a hand powerd catapult, all it was, was a big throwing arm mounted off of a stand. the guy firing would grab hold of the end not holding the ammo and jump off of the platform. the throwing arm being longer would throw the stone. I dont know how well it would work, and i guess its using the guy firing as a weight...

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #8 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 9:28am

What youre refering to sounds like a perrier. True, it didn't have the strength of a trebuchet, or mangonel, but it was easier to operate, and had a faster rate of fire overall.
  As to barbarian tribes having slings, it depends on your definition of a barbarian. The Vikins were considered barbarians, and yet had a great civilization, that was further spread than Rome. And yes, they had slings, even into the 17th cent.

The Irish were also infamous barbarian slingers. Viking and English both feared their slingers. The English army would rater face almost anything else, rather than go up against Irish slingers.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 11:10am

Do you have any sources that state this?  It would be interesting to read, I'm sure.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #10 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 11:50am

For sources of Irish slinging, try these;

History and topography of Ireland
   Norman conquest of Ireland

Both by Gerald of Wales a 12th cent historian

For Viking use of sling and fustibal, check out the Speculum Regale, by anonymous, a 12th cent book on ruling.
     Also check out the Viking chronicler Saxo Grammaticus
  there are other, but I don't have them handy right now. I will post them when I have them.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 1:46pm

Thank you kindly.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #12 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 11:39am

Also try Scandinavian Archeology by Haakon Shetlig
   Barbarian warriors- England  Dan and Susanna Shadrake
   Expungnation Hibernica Frederick Furnivall

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar)