Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
RedOakBow(again!) (Read 10819 times)
Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
RedOakBow(again!)
Apr 27th, 2005 at 10:13pm

Here is a RedOak board bow(thank you HomeDepot)65 inches long, 75#@28inches. After shooting it has 1/4 stringfollow and within an hour it vanishes to zero. 2 1/2 inches at the beginning of the fades going 10 inches and then tapering to 3/8 inch nocks. I tillered this one a little whip ended to gain a little speed. It seems this is my fastest and most accurate bow to date. Zero hand shock. Hope you guys like it!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: RedOakBow(again!)
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 2:54am

Wow! Shocked

You are good!

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 12:10pm

Now that is a beautiful bow.  You have surpassed your own previous bows.  Simple, plain wood, that looks excellent.

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 12:27pm

You're the kingpin johnny. Every time I see one of your posts I expect good things, and I'm never dissappointed.

IP Logged

Stenny
Funditor

Don't laugh at me, I can
sling in every direction!

Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 2:39pm

When I saw this picture, I thought: Where did he get so beautiful bow? Wait... he says he made it! That's... impossible... for me, that is Cheesy.
Really, it actually looks better than a professionally made similar bow I have seen some time ago on a mock historical battle.

Slinger, martial artist, knife thrower, blowgunner and general weirdo since 1998.&&Proud owner of official Zombie hunting permit and scars to prove it's worth.&&Underestimating a fighter or a weapon is the surest way to make plastic surgeons happy.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 3:07pm

Thanks guys!
Making a bow from a board is really easy. I'm not as primitive as English, that is I use a bandsaw and modern day tools to make my bows. If I could have you folks over one Saturday, I could show how to make a bow in just a few hours.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Sling when you're winning

Near Manchester, England
Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 3:38pm

Where can you getboards from, and do they need ot be special 'bow' boards?  I live in England aswell btw.   
One general bow makign question is this:
If you lay the bow so the belly is facing you with the back on the floor, the ends are narrower than the middle (I think...).  However, if the bow is laid on its side, are the ends narrower than the middle of the bow?
Thanks, Rik

I'm slinging in the rain, such a glorious feeling...

IP Logged

VoiceInWilderness

Exodus 3:7

Midwest
Reply #7 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 4:16pm

Hope you don't mind uninvited guests just droppin by! (lol)

Tennesee is a great place, I hear!   A guy could get lost in them hills.

In fact,  I hear that when old Dan'l Boone was asked if he'd ever been lost.....

He said, "Nope.  But I been bewildered for 3 days once."

VIW

IP Logged

hawk_chucker

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #8 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 4:43pm

UMMM ..................AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..............HHMMMMPPPHHHHHHHHH>>>>   Can I have it? Cheesy

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #9 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 6:41pm

LOL VIW!! Ole Daniel B, what a character!

LionHeart,
Check with your local building supply store and let me know what type of boards are available. Ask for the harder woods like maple, oaks, elm, ash(these are popular in the US). You can make a bow out of most any kind of wood, design is everything. Let me know and I'll get some instructions to you.

Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 8:53pm

this is incredible, how much would a board like that be? about $10? I think that is about 7.5 euros for europeans who are wondering. How thick would they be and is it possible to make a 45# pull bow with a relatively long draw, about 29 inches? If that is not likely or challenging, I'll just fiddle with my crossbows and get some more sophisticated tools, and maybe some books if I can find them.
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2006 at 5:05pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #11 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 10:23pm

I would get a board 1/2 inch or thicker. It would be safer to go 3/4. You will need to glue about a 10 inch piece to the center where the handle will be. It's easier to do this than buy a board that is 1 1/2 thick! For a 29 inch draw, it would be safe to keep it at 61 to 65 inches. 45# is no problem with this tiller. I've made one at 60 inches but it is not as accurate as the 65 incher. I will need to get an illustration up of the type of board with the correct grain pattern to use. I'll have one posted tomorrow.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #12 - Apr 29th, 2005 at 8:52am

Get a board where the grain is running parallel lengthwise with the board. Stay away from feathered grain on the surface. This is critical to keep your bow from breaking. Don't worry about the edge of the board, as long as the grain runs unbroken on the surface, you'll be safe.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Sling when you're winning

Near Manchester, England
Reply #13 - Apr 29th, 2005 at 12:46pm

OK thanks Jonny, im going to look for a board this wekkend hopefully, do you think ill be able to get one from a DIY shop, B and Q for example (Brits).
As for the design I was thinking soemthign along the lines of around a 35# draw weight, but my maximum draw is around 32" i think...
My long term aim si to build a short long draw horse bow with recurves, though i odnt think ill try that first
Rik

I'm slinging in the rain, such a glorious feeling...

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #14 - Apr 29th, 2005 at 1:35pm

I went to B&Q's website and didn't see any suitable boards. Check around and see if there are any hardwood shops in your area.

35# @ 32 is fine. You will need to keep the bow 66 inches or above. Do you have gigantic arms?!

Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner)