Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Innovations Compilations Section of Slinging.org (Read 3787 times)
justbarak

Nashville, TN
Innovations Compilations Section of Slinging.org
Apr 22nd, 2005 at 3:39am

I've been on and off the forum over the last 6 months and as I was perusing some of the old posts I noticed a lot of great ideas for slings from webbing to leather to simple braids to complex braids; ideas for reducing wind resistance, improving accuracy, using darts, cradles for shot, release knot configurations and more.  I think it would be great to some how compile these innovations with a brief description and photo of each (Not a how-to; though maybe down the road place links to how-to articles) and place them in the acticles section of the website or in a separate section.

That way, people get see a list of ideas to try and/or experiment with, and then if there are construction or modification questions they can consult the forum (makes me feel like I'm part of some sort of Athenian scholar's assembly wearing robes that is consulted about heady matters - "Let's consult 'the forum'.")

Perhaps individuals that are originators or strong proponents of various innovations can provide a description and photo and submit it.  Then some willing and sacrificial individual with lots of extra time on their hands can compile it, and then we can give it to Chris to put on the website since he has so much extra free time as well.  lol

anyway, any thoughts to this thought?

Barak

WWW justbarak  
IP Logged

justbarak

Nashville, TN
Re: Innovations Compilations Section of Slinging.o
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2005 at 4:17am

If I were to add my own innovation it would be something like this: 

Interchangeable paracord sling with webbing cradle and double release knots.
The following sling makes use of several innovations including my own.  It’s my favorite non-braided sling; fast and cheap to make, low air resistance, durable, accurate, and allows multiple configurations.  The only innovation I can truly take credit for is the loop and knot configuration that allows the lines and cradle to be interchangeable (a loop on each using a simple overhand knot and the loops form a reef/square knot).  This allows me to use short or long lines, as I desire, or different cradle configurations.

The cradle is attributed to --------- on the sling.org forum. Although the one shown is sown, I’ve discovered that melting the ends of the webbing and pressing them together in a sort of nylon weld is strong enough that you can’t pull it apart with your hands. The cradle is attached to the paracord using a double grapevine knot.

I love the wrist loop.  It cuts down on finger strain.  Notice the matching knots on both the release cord and the retention cord.  They are held side-by-side between the index finger and thumb and allow for a consistent throw improving accuracy (allegedly).  This innovation was introduced on the forum by ------. 

It's not super short, but it lists the slings strengs and provides a basic description, which,  in this case would be enough for a person to construct the sling (other slings like braided slings would be two complex to derive the construction methods from the description without research or prior knowledge).

Barak

WWW justbarak  
IP Logged

Markmyster
Tiro

Always

Ontario Canada
Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2005 at 6:44pm

I also am interested in innovation, it would be nice to see more photos and movies too. How do you change the paracord? Do you tie and untie it, also where do you get paracord?

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2005 at 7:13pm

I found para cord at the Army Navy store.

IP Logged

VoiceInWilderness

Exodus 3:7

Midwest
Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2005 at 8:24pm

Such a visceral and utiltarian effort bespeaks a "use it or lose it" kind of guy......I love it, of course.

Peace,

VIW

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2005 at 2:02pm

you can get paracord at cheaperthendirt.com but its a little expensive.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Markmyster
Tiro

Always

Ontario Canada
Reply #6 - Apr 23rd, 2005 at 5:43pm

Sometimes I use vertical blind cord, and if I want the real top of the line cord I go to a store that sells sailing equipment they use high quallity cord as well.

IP Logged

longwinger
Descens

Mustang, Oklahoma
Reply #7 - Apr 24th, 2005 at 5:27am

I have found that starter pull rope like used for lawn mowers, lends itself very well to our use, being a very tight braid, it is stiffer, also it is very abraision resistant. It is available at any hardware store.
Oscar

IP Logged

Markmyster
Tiro

Always

Ontario Canada
Reply #8 - Apr 24th, 2005 at 4:28pm

Good idea on the lawn mower cable I will try that.

IP Logged

justbarak

Nashville, TN
Reply #9 - Apr 24th, 2005 at 9:36pm

Paracord can be obtained at most sporting good stores, camping/outdoor stores, army/navy warehouses, wal mart, and some hardware stores.  It's great stuff.

So to those of you with innovations out there, this is your chance to have them immortalized Grin.  I guess maybe if you have specific things you think the slinging world would benefit from - whether it's a cradle design, a cord design, configuration, or you just think your idea is darn cool and want to pass it on, post a photo and short description on this thread and when we get enough of them together we can compile them into one document.  We can also peruse past posts and good innovations and put them here as well.

Barak

WWW justbarak  
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #10 - Apr 27th, 2005 at 1:01am

Barak, think it's a cool idea.  

At first, there was just a big list of links on the articles page.  As it grew, I broke it up into sections.  I think an experimental/innovation section would great.  We really just need some articles.

Chris

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #11 - Apr 29th, 2005 at 1:51pm

Chris don't we already have a halve a dozen that would
fit in that catagory.
Besides I imagine between myself and the artist formley
know as techstuff we could fill that section. lol Grin

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #12 - May 3rd, 2005 at 2:28am

True, and I think you and TS could contribute volumes.

On the next update, I can add a new experimental section, and do some reorganization.  Anything people want to whip up in the meantime can be sent to me at info@slinging.org

Chris

IP Logged

snapback
Tiro

snap back to reallity

port alberni
Reply #13 - May 7th, 2005 at 3:27pm

I like to go to the hobby store get a foot or two of leather<go to a hardware store and get a bunch of leather bootlaces Wink. Easy and cheap. I get a foot of good leather for $9.00 Shocked.

beware of the horses hoof the bulls horns and the saxons smile.&&old irish proverb from irish proverbs and sayings.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #14 - Aug 28th, 2006 at 1:16pm

We have a new set of members, maybe we have some more innovators now too.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man)