Send Topic Print
Braiding (Read 8231 times)
Lionheart
Descens

Sling when you're winning

Near Manchester, England
Re: Braiding
Reply #15 - Mar 26th, 2005 at 6:30am

I use a figure of eight knot, its very strong, but uses up quite a bit of string.

I'm slinging in the rain, such a glorious feeling...

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #16 - Mar 26th, 2005 at 10:21am

I always just tie any old knot and then use hot glue to make a nice smooth "ball" by surrounding the knot with the hot glue. I leave about an inch of loose ends coming out the top which quickly turn into a nice fraid tassle. There is a picture on the Gallery. Hot glue is great if you don't mind adding modern tech. to the ancient.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #17 - Mar 26th, 2005 at 2:28pm

I like to use a diamond,matthew-walker or other wall/crown variant to secure the ends (and make a nice tassle if desired). There are a couple pictures buried back in the archives, otherwise "Ashley book of knots" or google!

These knots were mostly used to finish off a length of 3 strand rope, but they are usually adaptable to four or more strands.

A doubled diamond knot looks like a little "turk's head" about 150-200% the diameter of the braid. Compact, tidy, and no way is it coming undone on its own!

Matthias

IP Logged

Thori
Descens

Reply #18 - Mar 26th, 2005 at 7:36pm

Thanks for all the advice.  These ideas certainly sound better than my old method.  Smiley

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #19 - Mar 27th, 2005 at 10:50am

i just use any old knot

Smiley

got my paracord sling all braided up today. im going to try and get some pics up.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #20 - Mar 28th, 2005 at 2:44pm

I would use a crown knot or a wall knot or, more likely, a combination of both like the diamond knot. All of which you can find here.
http://www.home.zonnet.nl/willeke_igkt/tables/used_knots_table.html
I think Matthias suggestion of the Mattew Walker knot is as good or better.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Ooby

Reply #21 - Mar 28th, 2005 at 11:59pm

Im looking for info on making an 8 strand round braid. I can only find one tutorial on the net and its confusing as hell. I can make an 8 strand braid if i double them up, escentially doing the normal 4 strand round braid, just using 2 strands instead of one.

The 8 strand is a pain in the butt. I can make the 8 strand herring bone braid ??? Found that on the net, but it comes out square. i need it round. Im just getting into this, so its frustrating. Any good braiding books yall can recommend. Not interested in knots, or anything, just solid braiding technique.

Incidentally, the herring bone 8 strand braid is: 4 strands on each side. Top strand goes around back, under 2 over 2 (or as i like to think of it, Through the Middle), then back to its original side.

Any help would be GREAT!

IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Sling when you're winning

Near Manchester, England
Reply #22 - Mar 29th, 2005 at 5:58am

Theres one here http://www.stringpage.com/braid/medbraids/medbraids.html, its a round 8 strand braid, over 5 under 2.
Hope this helps, so many braids so little time...

I'm slinging in the rain, such a glorious feeling...

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #23 - Mar 29th, 2005 at 2:21pm

I have started with making the round braid pages for the website but it will take a couple of days to work it out and publish it. I will anounce it on the forum when they are available.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
IP Logged

RockChucker

Montreal MO.
Reply #24 - Mar 29th, 2005 at 3:00pm

All of my "round" braids  come out square  weather its 4 8 or 16    the  sling  i have from Peru  is a square braid

bendsum bendsum  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #25 - Mar 29th, 2005 at 3:26pm

There are round braids, square braids and more complicated braids like the peruvian and japanese braids. Those can be any shape, in the Ashley Book of knots there is even one with a five pointed star for cross section.
The round braids are generally one-up, one-down around a core, like braided string. The square braids do, generally, go over and under more strings. Only the round braid of four is square at the same time.
When I have had time to make those pages I can show the difference better.

Willeke
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2005 at 5:36pm by Willeke »  

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #26 - Mar 29th, 2005 at 4:41pm

Hallo Willeke,

ik ben Dale, and that's all I know of Nederlandse.

I am looking forward to seeing your sling braiding pages.  I have been braiding and slinging about four months.  I still can't hit a stump, but I have braided eight slings.  I'm having as much fun learning about what can be done with string as I am slinging.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Ooby

Reply #27 - Mar 29th, 2005 at 5:55pm

Thanks for the info guys, ill give it a try tonight.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #28 - Mar 29th, 2005 at 7:07pm

has anybody here did a sling with square knot's instead of braiding

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Ooby

Reply #29 - Mar 30th, 2005 at 10:13pm

Lionheart: thanks for the link, but that braid is illustrated so poorly, i was unable to make a tangible braid out of it.

Anyone know of any good books that deal specifically with braiding, or links online? Im at my wits end ARGH.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy)