Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Walking Warriors; Man's best friend (Read 4359 times)
Hellfire
Ex Member

Walking Warriors; Man's best friend
Feb 27th, 2005 at 5:46pm

The dog is man's best friend. He is a walking, protective primitive weapon that goes for the jugular and keeps us safe, they are good pets, too. They came of wolves that were bred selectively to make crazy dogs like the Lhaso Ahpso (doubt i can spell it) to the Newfoundland ( they are humungous)
Does anyone have any interesting stories or experience with dogs?

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Re: Walking Warriors; Man's best friend
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 7:34pm

I've always loved hunting dogs. When I was a kid my uncle had the best black lab I've ever met. "Burt" was such a smart retreiver that my uncle would let him smell a stick, tell him to stay, then drive off and throw the stick into the woods a mile away. Then he would come back and tell Burt to fetch the stick. Burt would walk a search, by walking in a spriral slowly getting bigger and bigger. He would keep at it until the stick was found, no matter how long it took.

We would take him duck, or grouse hunting and he was a whiz. If more than one person shot at the same time he would watch and bring back the right duck to the right person. Or if one guy missed he would know and give the duck to the other. I've never met another retreiver that could tell whose duck was whose.

I want to get a golden retreiver soon. I love their temper and how loving and loyal they are. Plus I'm loosing my hearing bit by bit and could use a hearing aid dog to keep an ear peeled for me.

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 5:07am

This is Leeloo  my spanish greyhound. I'm not a hunter, but this dogs are used to hunt rabbit and hares, no need a gun Grin also it was used as war dog. Pizarro, Hernan Cortes, and  other conquerors in america, as well as spanish army in Europe (Dutch wars) around XIII-XIV century  used them.  it's a pleasure just to see her running and walking when we are outdoors.

Here is Leeloo with my brother's dog Icarus, Icarus is a male Ibizenc hound (Ibiza is one of the Balear Islands)This  race comes from ancient Egypt, and resembles sphinx of Anubis egyptian God when it sits perking ears.  also this kind of dogs is used to hunt rabits on the run and in packs they're used for big hunt (wild boar, deer and so... and better hurry up or you won't need gun either Grin ) he is  5 years old and when we are at the fields he gets a lot of rabits just for fun. Spaish greyhounds and  ibizenc  hounds have  nice nose and ear senses, but they relie on theyr excelent sight sense mostly. (note Leeloo's hawk eyes Smiley )

Leelo and Icarus make a nice pack, they dare to make run big boars over 200 lbs from their hides  when we take  every night walks along Genil River

this pics were taken at Canales Dam my fav place for slinging, kayaking, fishing, camping etc. all my outdoor activities.  And it's only 9 miles from home at Sierranevada Natural Park. Grin

wintertime

Leeloo, Icarus and me Walking to our retrat spot (i'm in the left side of the pic, you can see the handle of my machete sticking out of my  pouch)

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

rob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 7:40am

i've got a Border Collie/Shepard mix. i can't believe how this dog can stalk. she does the 'low belly crawl' so slow you can barely see her move. and true to her heritage she goes right for the hamstrings. while the dog listens to me better than my wife, she is more protective of my wife. where i could probably call the dog off an attacker, i have no doubt the dog would kill if my wife was threatened. her only drawback is that she was abused as a puppy. we got her from the shelter and she is still fear-argressive with strangers and hates other dogs until she's been exposed to them for long periods of time.

my grandfather had a 'barn dog' on the farm that was aerdale/lab. she saved me once when i accidentally cornered a woodchuck near a stone wall. he must have been feeding in the tall grass. next thing i know i've got a charging angry woodchuck coming after me! out of nowhere the dog comes like a yellow blur, flips the woodchuck over and rips out it's stomach/throat. he got out half a sqeal before he died, not a mark on the dog. i didn't even know the dog was shadowing me.

&&"...with slings of twisted wool from which they showered their missiles to break the ranks of the Trojans."

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2005 at 8:56am

ok  i have some nice pics of my great dane max. he is bigger in real life then what he looks here.

i hope this works. every time i hit the image button they but the pic thingey on the end and not on each end. that is what has been messing me up.

any way he is a 9 year old great dane, pure breed he is a very good dog but sometimes he likes to get himself in trouble like eating the food that sits level with his face when no one is looking.  all and all he is a very good dog.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2005 at 12:22pm

Very nice dog Douglas-the-Black How much does it weights?

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2005 at 1:05pm

umm i think last time we got him weighed it was about 140. Hes getting a little fat in his old age Wink

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #7 - Mar 6th, 2005 at 4:04am

nice dog indeed Smiley

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #8 - Mar 6th, 2005 at 8:27am

Smiley thanks

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #9 - Mar 7th, 2005 at 5:36am

I have a yellow lab, extremely dopey dogs. It is like they stay puppies for all of their lives, but he is extremely disciplined when it comes to walking around outside.
They are great animals, quite easy to train and their built in set of instincts takes care of the rest.
The only problem is he is scared of hats. Dumb dog.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #10 - Mar 7th, 2005 at 7:13am

lol Matt  Smiley
You can train him so he don't get afraid of hats, i had to train mine cause she was hit by a car and seriously injured in her left hip... she was so afraid of cars, it was a pain to walk out with her in the city streets... now she's so confident she even run after cars barking at them. Long ago i had to train a german shepard it was afraid of explosions. (fireworks, guns etc) after a short training i could fire my rifle under his legs and resting on his shoulders, and he  was standing still happy moving his tail.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini)