Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Sling making, first try (Read 9046 times)
Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: Sling making, first try
Reply #30 - Mar 9th, 2005 at 1:03am

Heavy is good for gland.  Gold would rock as an ammo.  but you got to retrive it...........$$$$$

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #31 - Apr 13th, 2005 at 12:54pm

Yurek can make his gold glands, he did get the sling.  Wink

You can see how I finished this sling in the picture I added to the original photo, but I will also add it here.

I made a loop at 90 cm, and one at 120 cm. And release knots at the same lengths.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #32 - Apr 13th, 2005 at 4:32pm

Yeah, indeed, I'm now happy owner of that BEAUTIFUL sling. I love it. Simply perfect job! I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to do it in the nearest weekend. If so, I will try to share my feelings here.

I'm just melting my ancestral golden jewellery Wink

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #33 - Apr 15th, 2005 at 10:36am

Ray, just saw your sling on the second page.  Looking good man!  If you can get some higher resolution photos, I'd love to put them up in the members gallery.

Chris
info@slinging.org

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #34 - Apr 17th, 2005 at 4:03pm

Finally I tried Willeke's sling yesterday. Although I didn't slung a lot of stones with it, may honestly say that it works as perfectly as looks. During my first shots I had strange feeling with the sling, stones were going too the down when I used the overhand stroke, or too the left for more side strokes. Reason of it was in elascity of the braided cords. I used to use purchased (ready) and stiffer cords in my slings, so my habits were somewhat different. However the used for baraiding strings are rather hard, so the sling isn't too limp.

After a few shots I got proper timing and the sling startet to rock! I noticed that I prefer the 90 cm lenght for that sling. When I used the full (120 cm) of the sling it seemed to be too flexible. The shorter option were worked very well for me. I will have to cut the excesses of the cords, as Willeke suggested. Well, I am afraid it will be like cutting my fingers of, but it seems to be necessary for clear releases - the excess impedes them, alas.

The elascity allows to get a very good ranges without no effort and makes releases clear. So slinging with it is very easy and pleasant. Willeke makes really great work.

Again, I love that sling!

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #35 - Apr 18th, 2005 at 6:18am

Lucky! Sad

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #36 - Apr 18th, 2005 at 6:51pm

If it gets Yurek's seal of approval, you know it's good.  Smiley

Yurek, how does the range compare to your usual sling?  Also, are you a braided or simple sling believer?

Chris

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #37 - Apr 19th, 2005 at 3:44pm

Thank you Chris for the kind words Smiley

Quote:
Yurek, how does the range compare to your usual sling?

It is difficult to say for me, because my experiences with braided slings are rather limited. Althought I own three nice ones, I use them very occasionally, I don't want to destroy them. Willeke's sling is the most aerodynamical and stiff one among them, so gives better ranges. As I said I slung a few stones only not using a full power. Anyway stones went at ca. 200 m, maybe more. I belive it isn't a limit for the 90 cm long Willeke's sling. When it was longer (120 cm) I felt it too flexible for me, though.
My best ranges I get with longer slings with stiffer cords. Although I suppose that a bit of the cords resilence can help in some range, but it should be fitted to their lenght, stone mass and power of stroke. In the other words, the more powerful strokes, the stiffer cords should be. Just my opinion.

I don't consider Willeke's sling as a "space buster", because of its lenght, for example. But its elascity with that 90 cm lenght, give a good composition for easy, comfortable and still far shots. Just nice and handy sling to play with it.

Quote:
Also, are you a braided or simple sling believer?

Except extreme range slinging, I would love to use a good braided sling for "every" slinging, they can work prety well, as I have conviced myself. It would be additional pleasure of using a nice thing. But I can't make them for myself. If even, it it would be too much time consuming. They are too luxury to wear them out. So I must content with more utilitarian ones and keep the braided ones as nice reminders, using them in special occasion only Smiley

Lately my life has changed, I will not have as much time for slinging as before. But I'm sure, one day I will try that sling again with better stones and more power. If so I will try to give you its maximum ranges I will able to get.

Jurek

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #38 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 5:08pm

Yurek wrote on Apr 19th, 2005 at 3:44pm:
...But I'm sure, one day I will try that sling again...

Now I'm not sure of it... Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris)