Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Sling making, first try (Read 8945 times)
Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Sling making, first try
Feb 19th, 2005 at 3:37pm

For a sling you need two bits of cord and uhh?

I had two bits of cord near at hand, being a knot tyer. Mountain boot laces. So I fiddled a bit and came up with a sling. As you can see it is a little uneven. I had never slung a ball and did not want to spend much time, effort or money on a sling till I had. You can see the picture at  http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/willeke_igkt/detail?.dir=/181a&.dnm=b3bc.jpg&.src=...
It is 0.80 meter, 31.5" from the fold to the end of the retention loop and release knot. On me that is heart to hand.
The pouch is 12 cm long and 5 wide. ( 4 3/4" x 2")

Then I went shopping for balls, having read the gruesome stories of some first time slingers I decided I rather throw with something soft till I know what I do. So foam balls were the safest, I found some tennis ball size (the red and yellow balls in the photos,) and some golf ball size in neon colours. I also found some children's balls about 8 cm across, a little sloppy and soft, also in bright colours. All 8 balls together weight about 180 grams, the small balls seem to weight almost as much as the bigger ones so say near 20 grams for the small ones, and near 25 for the bigger ones, (as a guess, my scales are not good enough for individual weights.)

Before leaving for the fun I had another look at the balls and the sling and decided I needed another sling. So, not wanting to use my leather for something temporary, I took a bit plastic sheet. (It is the kind called Tyvek, which we use at work, it looks like paper but is as strong as many textiles.)  I had a strip 22 cm wide, so I cut a bit off at 8 cm and cut it partly in from the sides so now there is a bottom to the pouch of 6 cm with two flaps of 4 by 8 cm to each side which will slip over each other when tied. Holes in the sides, one for each bit of plastic. Another two mountain boot laces for cords, and after tying some more knots I had another sling in just minutes. Only tools needed, a pair of scissors and two hands.  I have seen pictures of this style sling recently but can not find them now to give you a link.
The length of this sling is 80 cm too.

It being a rainy day in winter I went to the park and in there I found a field 40 by 50 meters with a windbreak all around it. The trees and undergrowth all leafless I could see people coming from much father away, and with the balls, even if a direct hit would not harm them, I wanted to avoid it all cost. So I went to ten meters from the end of the field and set up for the first throw. It worked, it was the sling with the plastic pouch and an 8 cm ball. It flew for 7 meters and landed in the grass. All the other balls flew roughly the same way, all landing within a few meters of each other. The small balls I slung with the all cord sling and they flew nearer 9 meters.
I had fun for an hour, improving my range to nearly 20 meters. Remember, I used the very light weight balls. When it started to rain I decided to stop, have another look for the little green ball which got lost for the second time. Walking around I saw a fist size bit of rock on the ground, it being sandy and clay ground all rock is brought in and it being a children's playfield, I felt right in taking it from the ground. I tried slinging with it and it flew, also a 20 meters at the best try. It weights 400 grams. But I did not dare to try a throw with anybody within seeing range through the trees.

I had a few miss fires, with the balls as well as the rock, but no problems, nothing damaged.

Now I know I want to make a proper sling and have another go.

The sling with the plastic pouch did well for the biggest balls and just not good enough for the tennis ball size, and the all string sling did work for the golf ball size but at times rather unpredictable. The cup is not smooth enough. I think it will do if caught out with a limited amount of string and nothing to make a pouch but I would try to make a proper pouch if possible.

More photos available at http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/willeke_igkt/album?.dir=/181a&urlhint=actn,ren%3as...

If the direct links do not work go to the album sling.

Willeke

« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2006 at 5:17am by Willeke »  

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: Sling making, first try
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2005 at 3:50pm

Way to go Willeke! Those sponge balls look perfect for safe practice throwing. Did you try getting them a bit wet? I had pictured the "open cell" type rather than the ones with a bit of a skin - these ones are much better. Make sure to check out mgreenfield's new video - pretty soon you'll need to find a bigger field! Wink

Matthias

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2005 at 4:39pm

Nice slings willeke!! Smiley I like very much the knot  pouch, it looks really strong. Misfires happens at first specially if projectiles are so lightweight. Happy slinging!

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2005 at 6:50pm

Looking good! 

Remember, if you want to see some proven designs, take a look at the gallery and article pages. 

Chris

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2005 at 3:58am

Chris,
That is where I found the inspiration for these designs as well.

Zorrro,
The knots/strands in the all string pouch tend to move around, up and down as well as sideways. It is a bit of fun more than a usefull sling. But it was a first try.

Matthias,
I had expected to buy the foamballs that soak up water but these are rather dense so I dit not even try. They were heavy enough to give me a good bit of fun.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2005 at 4:14am

Quote:
The knots/strands in the all string pouch tend to move around, up and down as well as sideways.

i thought they were the kind used in fishing nets wich don't move any side...  yes, you need a more stable pouch, try the one made with sticking plaster i made or powertape Yurek made, they're easy and quick  to  construct and the pouch is very stable and wear resistant. check pics of both models at:
http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11076467...

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2005 at 4:09pm

I have found the link for the sling I made out of plastic, It is based on Yureks leather sling, http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=10980351...

Zorrro, thanks for your advice, but I am a knottyer and I have many ideas for slings, not using tape.

Willeke

IP Logged

longwinger
Descens

Mustang, Oklahoma
Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2005 at 5:54pm

cool logo Willeke! Is that a star knot?
Oscar

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #8 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 11:22am

Thanks, Oscar,
Yes, from my website.
For those people who want to make it, http://www.home.zonnet.nl/willeke_igkt/tables/star_knot_table.html

Willeke

IP Logged

longwinger
Descens

Mustang, Oklahoma
Reply #9 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 4:56pm

Willeke, that is a good step by step instruction for tying the star knot!
I first used the instructions from the book, The Marlinspike Sailor.
While this is a good knot, I don't use it for slings.
Oscar

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #10 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 3:56am

I like the Marlinspike sailor too. I learned an attitude from it. But I can not tell Dutch kids to use it any more because the Dutch translation is out of print, my web-site being in Dutch as well as English, I had to make my own instuctions.

I have updated the first post in this tread with some pictures.

Willeke

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #11 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 10:32am

great knot work Always a interest of mine

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #12 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 11:01am

If you liked my other slings, how about this one?
I like the looks but find it is much to strong / sturdy for the balls I am using.
So it is going to be offered for a swap. Watch the batering topic in the administrative section.

Willeke

« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2005 at 12:44pm by Willeke »  

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 11:54am

I just commented on that in the Admin topic.  Oh well.  It looks good.  I like the pouch, it looks quite sturdy and very well made.  How long is it?

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #14 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 1:00pm

Details are all in the bartering topic

Willeke

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy)