Oh.  My bad.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Re: ammo pouches
Reply #16 - Feb 21st, 2005 at 5:50pm

i made the cord out of normal garden twine. i cant think of the right name.  but i just took three groups of three pices of twine and braided them together.

by the way. i made a pouch that i want to keep food in. DO you think the chemicals used in the tanning of the leather will  mess up my food or poison me?   I was going to wax it up with some bees wax to water proof it and maybe protect me from the chemicals.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

graf_zahl
Tiro

plauen-germany
Reply #17 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 12:08am

don't worry about the 'chemicals', they are harmless. i'm very interested in chemistry Wink

never be timid!
IP Logged

the_warrior_yeti
Descens

ARRRRRGH!

Fayetteville, AR, USA
Reply #18 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 11:51am

Zahl,
What about the crom used in modern tanning which pollute the water ways so bad? Do those chemicals get dilluted or something? -Devin

IP Logged

graf_zahl
Tiro

plauen-germany
Reply #19 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 1:25pm

you know, chrom is a metal. but in the process of tanning, nobody puts a piece of chrom on the leather and waits. in this process liquids are used - but metal doesn't dissolve in liquids. --> if somebody says that chrom is used, he means a compound which contains chrom. --> the liquids used by tanning are containing a dissolved chrom compound.
after the process of tanning, the leather is washed with fresh water; the water takes up the chrom from the leather (and bring it in the rivers and seas  Undecided).
don't worry, if you can wear a material on the skin (clothes of leather) you also can put your food in it.

i'm sorry if my english expression isn't perfect (i learn it in school, but this doesn't really prepare for the real use of this language), i hope you can understand what i mean

never be timid!
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #20 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 3:14pm

thanks but im still going to wax it. wet jerkey isent the greatest thing in the world.  Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

the_warrior_yeti
Descens

ARRRRRGH!

Fayetteville, AR, USA
Reply #21 - Feb 24th, 2005 at 12:52pm

I hear you well Zahl. It sucks that all that chemical gets washed into our rivers and streams. I know what you mean though, wood ash also gets rinsed out of deer hide, otherwise the hide would'nt be wearable with all that alkalinity. Wood ash isn't nearly as bad for the evironment as chrom though, and tans a stronger hide. Its too bad they don't tan the old way nowadays. -Devin

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #22 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 9:30am

do any of you guys know how to tann a hide with the fur on? i want to try making a deer hide cloak but i dont know how to keep the fur on.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 12:13pm

PrimitiveWays probably has some good stuff.  There are also some apparently brilliant books out there.  I don't know much about tanning at all.

IP Logged

the_warrior_yeti
Descens

ARRRRRGH!

Fayetteville, AR, USA
Reply #24 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 1:23pm

Get yourself a nice large piece of plywood that the hide will fit on. Lay it on flesh side up and nail the edges down, about 1 inch between each nail, 1/4 inch from the edge, pulling the hide tight as you go. Next, use a dull metal edge of some sort to scrape off the meat and fat. Once your done getting off all the crap soak the hide in a lye solution for about three days. You're going to need to look this up. I've used a solution before but it was given to me. The lye will cause the grain to tighten up so the hair won't fall out.

The hide I tanned this way was coyote, and I hung it on my wall. You'll have to look up softening techniques. Try the hide forum at the ezboard Paleoplanet site for more info. -Devin

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #25 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 9:40am

thanks for the info! next time i get a hide ill give that a shot.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #26 - Mar 5th, 2005 at 8:31am

well i made that food pouch i was talking about. i went to water proof it yesterday and i did not have that much wax. so i figure that i can just wax up certen parts by placing the wax down on the leather then throwing a towl over that then using an iron.

It worked but the wax is in spots where it soaked throu the leather. Now it looks like crap. Its still a nice pouch. just crappy looking.  Smiley i think that when i get some more wax i might try and do the whole thing so that it does not have the  big spots of melted wax stuff on it.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #27 - Mar 5th, 2005 at 10:19am

well i wond want to sound like a whiner but the ammo pouch i made is big but still small and it does not hold that many rocks. if i make it bigger then i wound be abel to hide it in my clothing any more. Im thinking about makeing a few of them. then storing them about me.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Amras
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #28 - Jun 9th, 2006 at 9:43pm

I figured i would revive this thread. I think I am going to start making my own amo to help my consistancy. But i dont know what kind of pouch to make. Or how to make it. I dont got enough leather to make one but i want it to be some what traditional. Photobucken is not showing the pics on this thread so i can not get ideas from hear.
Any ideas?

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #29 - Jun 9th, 2006 at 10:09pm

Just use a war surplus gas mask bag. If it was good enough for Indiana Jones, well........... 8)

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris)