Send Topic Print
ammo pouches (Read 3342 times)
the_warrior_yeti
Descens

ARRRRRGH!

Fayetteville, AR, USA
ammo pouches
Feb 14th, 2005 at 12:44pm

As I said before, I'm new to this forum, but I've been slinging for a while and the woods here in Arkansas are strewn with rocks. The problem is that the rocks aren't always the best kind (not dense or jagged). Also, they're usually covered by a few inches of leaves so I've taken to using an ammo pouch.

My pouch is not the best though. It looks somewhat like a possibles bag or purse, hanging across my shoulder. Its not very comfortable, swings with my body as I sling, and is hard to reload from. Any suggestions on good ammo pouch designs? -Devin

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: ammo pouches
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 2:02pm

An other strand in this forum shows a pouch. It is susgested that it can be a amo pouch.
Traditional a lot of things were caried at the belt. A pouch like this will sit nice on a belt.

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=other;action=display;num=1108...

I hope this is some help,
Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 11:18pm

You haven't seen a pouch........

till you've seen this from Barak:

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11056436...

IP Logged

the_warrior_yeti
Descens

ARRRRRGH!

Fayetteville, AR, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 12:52pm

That is exactly what I'm looking for. I can probably rework my old pouch to look like that. I was originally thinking of hooking it on my belt, but a strap that ties across my hip looks pretty solid too. Thanks -Devin

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 5:54pm

i have made a pouch it works pretty well for ammo and such.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

the_warrior_yeti
Descens

ARRRRRGH!

Fayetteville, AR, USA
Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 2:49pm

Do you have a picture of it? I started to modify my pouch last night but immediately encountered a problem. I have a flap to close the pouch that ties to an antler button in the front like a possibles bag. I'm trying to attach loops to the back of the pouch near the center so it will lay open on my hip.

I don't want to cut the flap off, but I want to be able to attach it to my hip and fold the flap back so the pouch will be open while I sling. The flap is in the way, but I want to keep it. Any suggestions? -Devin

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 3:02pm

Devin,
Do you have a way to post a picture of your pouch?
It is easier to talk about it when we can see it.

I use my yahoo photo album, there are other free places as well, or there is a way to post it here, I do not know how.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 4:03pm

photo bucket seems to be down for some reason but this is a link to the pouch. i could get you some more angels if you need

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=other;action=display;num=1108...

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

the_warrior_yeti
Descens

ARRRRRGH!

Fayetteville, AR, USA
Reply #8 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 12:04pm

Doug,
That looks a lot like my pouch actually, only a lot prettier. Mine is unsmoked, poorly tanned buckskin. Its pretty stiff in places, and it picked up some color from rubbing against my jeans. Oh well, its functional.

I ended up attaching two belt loops. One to the front of the flap, and the other to the back of the pouch. When using it for sling ammo, I just slip a line through the loop on the flap and it hangs open really well. I can store a lot of ammo, and its easy to reach into now. I think I just tripled my reloading speed. I'll take a picture sometime soon and post it. Thanks for the help guys. -Devin

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 2:23pm

im happy that you like it. here is another pouch i made to hold ammo. i braided the drawstring.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

graf_zahl
Tiro

plauen-germany
Reply #10 - Feb 20th, 2005 at 3:42am

my pouch:
http://www.mitglied.lycos.de/graphzahl/slingnpouch.jpg
the chain can be used as belt or for hanging on the shoulder

never be timid!
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #11 - Feb 21st, 2005 at 9:54am

cool i lilke it

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

the_warrior_yeti
Descens

ARRRRRGH!

Fayetteville, AR, USA
Reply #12 - Feb 21st, 2005 at 12:14pm

Nice Checkered pouch Zahl. Mine did look like that, with the strap coming off the corners, but I had to change it because the thing hung closed against my hips.

Black Doug,
What did you make the cordage out of? I've got some king of bark that strips apart on the inside and makes nice long ribbons. Its great for making cord. I'm think of trying to braid a sling out if it, as soon as I order this book: "Sling Braiding in the Andes". Anyone heard of it? Is it good?

I'll try and get a picture of my pouch up soon. Wish I had a digital camera. -Devin

IP Logged

Jasper
Novicius

I smashed a side-view
mirror with my sling...

Reply #13 - Feb 21st, 2005 at 2:54pm

Zahl, what did you make the ball in that picture out of?

IP Logged

graf_zahl
Tiro

plauen-germany
Reply #14 - Feb 21st, 2005 at 2:55pm

it's a stone  Wink

never be timid!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris)