lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
left handed slinger's
Feb 14th, 2005 at 10:37am

Chris's quote brought this thread to life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Judges 20.16:  (the Benjamites)
Among all this people there were seven hundred chosen men lefthanded; every one could sling stones at an hair breadth, and not miss.

how many members are left handed  I am
I am also wondering what effect this has on slinging

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Re: left handed slinger's
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 12:42pm

i'm right handed, but it seems that left handed are better hand skilled than average right handed.

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 1:34pm

As an answere why lefthand slingers may be better, the guy who wrote this thinks he knows.

http://www.pecosrio.com/library/cords/CORDS1.HTM

I do not have an opinion.

Willeke
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2005 at 3:51pm by Willeke »  

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 3:03pm

Well, I had a great (if I do say so myself) reply all written out... full of wit and lucid observations. Not quite Tech material, you understand (or will soon) but close... Sigh - I've been fighting a combined  virus/software update combo that has my system on its' knees.

The gist was (but it was funnier and less likely to be taken as complete skepticism) - not all spinners spin the same way, and certainly not when different means of spinning are used. A cabled 4-ply is not the same as a laid 4-ply and I would have expected the distinction to have been made in the referenced source material. I've almost never seen the 3-ply construction described, and it doesn't have much going for it. You often find z/s ply yarns used in the same work (by a single spinner) when the combination makes for desireable properties.

I also liked how the argument that in order to to spin a three ply cord a right-handed spinner needs to spin 1/3 z-twist erodes the internal self consistency of the initial thesis Cheesy

Interesting read though! I'm sure that there are lots of valid observations that can be made on the basis of archeological textile evidence, just not sure that this is one when presented as it is.

Here are a couple of somewhat unrelated links for people interested in traditional cordage. The first Navajo-pliers were geniuses:

http://www.lewis-clark.org/content/content-article.asp?ArticleID=1796

http://www.graftonfibers.com/instructions.htm

Matthias

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 5:13pm

The designer of both right hand and left, challenges those whom He loves in many ways so that they have something to overcome.....avoiding the way of those spoiled creatures who never come to know the benefits of obstacles as stepping stones,  never seeing the glory of meeting a challenge.

http://www.hisremnant.org/eby/articles/kingdom/twohands/twohands1.html

http://hellbusters.8m.com/eby/lefthand.html

Such a sight as 700 hyper accurate lefty slingers advancing toward me with 'dark intent' would be more than a little disturbing.... Shocked

Much has been made of left, right and cross dominance as observed in sport and other activities,  consider the following:

http://pages.prodigy.net/unohu/dominance.htm

I found the following passage of particular interest:

"In an interesting twist, Josh Backon, a member of the Department of Cardiology, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, writes in an Internet posting…that in order to increase left-hemisphere activity (linear, language, logical), one can block the left nostril and engage in 'forced unilateral nostril breathing.' Likewise, to increase right-hemisphere activity (creative, holistic, emotional), the right nostril should be blocked. This practice increases the supply of negative ions to a specific hemisphere."

I myself, being largely right brain dominant (left eye dominant) Right arm and leg dominant, have studied the cause and effect relationship of cross dominance and found that, although it is presumably harder for those of us who are cross dominant to become proficient at certain types of accuracy exercises, (perhaps due in part to greater parallaxial effect)
This can be overcome with much practice.

I am told that instinctive archers whose eye dominance matches their arm dominance are better than those of us who have to compute our shots using a wider triangle.

This doesn't begin to cover any relevant right/left brain logic/creativity issues and although cross dominance may not impact slingers as heavily as archers, (from a parallax effect standpoint) I am certain they play an appreciable role.

I have had observable success at stimulating the left brain, the upper left lobe of which is usually less active in we more easily depressed 'creative' types, with rapidly alternating magnetic fields of high density, and apparently I am not alone:

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/oup/brainj/1998/00000121/00000003/art00437

I began researching magnetic field brain interaction upon discovering I could remarkably diffuse headaches and seemingly increase dexterity and focus with Neodymium magnets.  I am pleased with my personal results.

In summary,

There is certainly much more to the signicance of those 700 left handed slingers than meets the 'eye' (dominant or not).

I offer the supposition that, likely, a good share of those left handed slingers were left eye and right brain dominant as well.

P.S.  Sorry to hear about your PC troubles Matthias.  I certainly know how that can be.....(believe me!)  Wink
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2005 at 10:21pm by Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua »  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 7:18pm

.Thanks for the contributions so far. I find this very interesting.
I forgot about cross dominance. I am complete left handed left eyed, left eared (the ear may come more to fact because I have no high range in my right)
I have friend's who have been trained to do every thing right handed but are left eye dominate this cause's some trouble with there shooting.
One of my best friends; refers to me as a true lefty
I must admit it is good to hear that medical science say's I am in my right brain, because most others do not
I find it quite interesting that left hand slinger might once have been sought.

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 9:33pm

I'm left handed!
I'm also a professional artist by trade. Go to the gallery and take a look at some of my work.  I can sling with both my right and left hands but favor my right....strange! I draw and paint with my left hand, but I airbrush with my right.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 10:41pm

I have read that article a few times and remember once that someone made a comment.  He said that the true meaning of the message may have been misunderstood in the translation.  He believes what it really ment was that the slingers could sling left handed as well as right handed, like soccer players from South America who can shot with both feet just as powerfully and accurately.  That way in battle, these slingers wouldn't get tired as easily.  I read that on the internet long ago and really can't remember where it is from.

An advantage I can think of having left handed slingers in the army is that they are harder to block with a shield.  Most soilders would hold the shield with their left arm.  It is much more natural to block right handed slingers at close range.

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 11:11pm

Good observation,  not much of an opening would be necessary for our boys to have turned a rib into shrapnel or shatter a shoulder.   For that matter, it would have taken quite a helmet to mitigate enough force of impact to prevent appreciable damage.

Smiley

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

longwinger
Descens

Mustang, Oklahoma
Reply #9 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 4:56am

Hey Tech,
I too am left eye dominant and sling right handed, is there a way to take advantage of this? I never have thought about it before, but it has caused problems shooting instintively with archery equipment.

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 10:43pm

I can tell you that after gratefully observing the overhand technique, so generously supplied in video form by NWManitou, my accuracy has improved by a considerable and edifying margin.  This shot mimics closely the common overhand baseball pitch and the ammo is released considerably closer to the sight line compared to my usual underhand technique.  

If you are using the underhand technique,  I can only recommend much practice in order to compensate for the disadvantage.

I sometimes imagine that David used the overhand technique on old Goliath.  If the shot was taken at short range.....say just at 30ft or so, a range at which David certainly had a fair degree of certainty in avoiding a spear throw, then the ammo at moment of release would have had a pretty straight angle of entry given the height of David's opponent.

Imagine constructing a plywood 'Giant' of Goliath's stature.....and practicing overhand shots at near point blank range, eventually moving out to such extremity as is commensurate with consistent accuracy.  Such an exposition, demonstrating the power inherent to a good cast, (stone blasting a hole through plywood) would be something over which considerable rumination might be inspired in those minds which doubt the veracity of the Holy Scriptures.....those who think them nothing but the collective legendry of a superstitious people.

Smiley

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2005 at 11:50pm by Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua »  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

longwinger
Descens

Mustang, Oklahoma
Reply #11 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 1:14pm

I too have been working with the NWManitou technique, I thoroughly enjoy using it when just throwing stuff, the underhand I reserve for easy lobs or showing a beginner an easy method to learn, which safely places the projectile in a verticle plane, limiting the chance for unintentional hits. The overhand will evolve for me the dominant style with time, but for now I still use the one spin, horizontal, overhead throw.
As far as I can detect, dominant eye is not a factor, of course this is coming from source that does not have the luxury of choice.

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 3:17pm

Good points, longwinger.  

As regards slinging,  one's dominant eye does not play as prevalent a role in shot determination, at least from the perspective of parallaxial triangulation, as it does in archery.  I perceive that, with the sling, it has more to do with how information is visually processed.

For instance,  if a person is accustomed to looking at the world largely through one eye specifically,  that eye will appear larger,  it will be open more fully than the other....some have what is called 'lazy eye' where that eye is hardly open at all.

There are certainly a large number of variables which come into play regarding the visual processing of information.  I consider that one whose eye/hemisphere relationship is most optimally developed for processing the massive amount of data necessary for accuracy exercises will find more success.

One's reaction time is very important in skills like the sling....absolutely critical in fact.  

Imagine two 'parallel computers' networked together....one specializing in the processing of object information the other in relationship processes.

The total system 'reaction time' would be slower if data best assimilated by one 'cpu' had to wend it's way over after first being input visually through the other.

It has been shown that 'lateral thinkers',  those whose inter-hemispherical connections are more robust....are able to process data more effectively. This is rather like increased 'bandwidth' between two 'parallel computers'.

Ideally,  a left handed, left eye dominant/right brained individual, may in fact represent the best slinging potential.  

But of course.....I'm 'splitting hairs' here.

As variances by minute fractions of a second are translated from micro to macro scale during the sling cast, many millions of variables are being physically reduced to a critical moment.  If indeed the right brain is largely responsible for the processing of accuracy exercises, and a preponderance of evidence seems to suggest this,  then a fully left side dominant person would represent the aggregate optimum.

I would also venture to assert that an accomplished slinger could translate his associative skills into a host of other areas of life.

I have had interesting results in covering my dominant left eye using a sling as a makeshift eye patch.  This forces the left brain to process more visual information.  As it may be well nigh impossible and perhaps not worthwile to try and fully eliminate noticeable eye dominance, I can imagine that occasionally covering either eye may induce a more productive inter-hemispherical relationship.

Beings how I was forced to switch to a left handed bow in archery sport due to a severe lateral curvature of the spine induced by so much practice with a heavy bow.....I have found, after much practice, that I am a better archer now....in harmony with my left eye dominance.

BTW,  for those interested:

One can easily determine eye dominance by pointing at an object on the wall, looking down your arm, staring at the target and then closing the right eye.  If your finger jumps off target when you do so then you are right eye dominant....if not then you are left eye dominant.    If you have trouble deciding which of the two seemingly semi transparent fingers floating before you to place on the target......then I would like to study you with my admittedly rudimentary, portable MRI machine......(lol)

Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2005 at 5:53pm by Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua »  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #13 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 5:37pm

Wow, this is good stuff.  Myself, I'm ambidextrous.  Not the cool kind, where I can do stuff with either hand, but more like Johnny -- I eat and write with my left, sling and throw with my right, fight from either side, drum right-handed but left-footed (double bass pedal), I prefer right-brained, creative activities to left=brained, logical exercises, but I do math for a living...  I did notice that, at first, I was more accurate and powerful slinging with my left, but practice has since improved my right-hand throw to the point where it's far better than my left.

As to the left-handed slingers -- what was in their right hand?  I'd always assumed that they'd learned to sling with their left hands to leave their right arms free for swordplay when (if?) the enemy closed with them.

IP Logged

archeorob
Descens

Know when to duck!

Wisconsin
Reply #14 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 3:57pm

I have absolutely no scientific information to back this one up with, but from my observations, it seems like lefties can get more power behind their throws.  I'm right handed and frankly, I admit that I have seen very few people sling in person, but there's my two cents worth.

Rob

Archeorob rob+Fullmer  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man)