Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Primitive Footwear (Read 4849 times)
english
Ex Member

Primitive Footwear
Feb 11th, 2005 at 12:23pm

I've been thinking about shoes, recently.
  I can't personally make moccasins, being as I am without buckskin, rawhide, &c.  So I've been researching plant alternatives.  I think that a simple coiled plant fibre sandal is the best one I've come across.  Once spring finally comes, I will try and make some.  Basically, you start making a coiled basket, but make it long and fairly thin, to fit the shape of your foot.  I would either use a lot of grass, cattail fibres that have been shredded, or braided willow bark as the coiled material, and willow bark as the thread to keep it coiled.  (If you don't know how to make coiled baskets, then look them up.  I find that they are the most useful forms of basket, as they are virtually waterproof is made very tight).  I also thought of sandals with birch bark soles (a few layers of birch bark glued together with resin).  I'll let you know how everything turns out, but does anyone else have any thoughts about primitive footwear?

IP Logged

henryblowery
Descens

Raleigh NC
Re: Primitive Footwear
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2005 at 12:32pm

i'v been thinking about the same thing but what you discribed does'nt sound comfy  Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2005 at 4:13pm by henryblowery »  

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/thaiche/Henrybloweryssig.jpg[/IMG]
WWW henryblowery  
IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2005 at 3:32pm

Here in Spain still in use sandals made with esparto grass  and hemp cord, they sell it in lot of places and people carry them mostly in sumertime. also country people and farmers use this kind of footwear  when working in the fields.
they are cheap and very popular in the mediterranean zone and they are durable and comfort.
Alswo here in the south of Spain is part of the typical suit ppl wear in holy week (easter) religious parades.
here is a link with some models
http://www.armillum.com/calzados.html

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2005 at 5:16am

They look like they are in the coiled basketry style.  From the pictures, it looks like the grass has been braided and coiled.  Thanks very much Zorrro.  That's exactly the kind of thing I was describing, although slightly more advanced with better straps (woven hemp?) and support.  Nice.

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2005 at 5:35am

yup braided, coiled and sewn together. i think there's a spanish old tv series  about lost   (or soon to get lost)  handcrafting/ work/ jobs  that show how those sandals are constructed.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2005 at 10:26am

i have made moccasins before out of leather. Now i want to try making boots but there harder to do. I have made sandels ouf of wood before. you just carve the shape then weave grass or reeds to make the toe holders. I then stapeld the grass down but i guess you could drill a hole or some thing for the grass.

that was close my little brother was on here while i was taking a bathroom break and almost removed this topic. good thing i caught him.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2005 at 4:02pm

Being a female I have used the spanish style, hemp soled shoes when they came around in fasion and they are great on a dry summer day but no good at all when wet and rot if not properly dried before storing.

Being Dutch, our national, primitive footwear has been wood for a long time. I know it has been used in different parts of Europe like France and Sweden too. So if textiles are to soft or not suited to the weather, look for your local version of wooden soles.

I have used stoneage style leather sandals one summer when working in a re-enactment park and on all but the rainiest days I was fine in them. Just keep them well cared for with conditioner. (Grease?)

Willeke.
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2005 at 5:22pm by Willeke »  

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2005 at 4:16pm

nothing to do with feet but its a realy cool site

http://www.myarmoury.com/home.php

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 7:58am

I think that if you applied a coat of resin to the sandals, they would be fine.  Wax would work as well.  Something pretty much water-resistant.
  I was thinking about wooden shoes, but I think that it would require a lot of effort to cut down some trees wide enough, and then either carve them into clogs, or similar, or split them perfectly to get soles.  Not at all possible with stone tools, which is what I want to use, to be totally primitive.  Grass sandals just needs a reaping knife for cutting the grass or shredding the cat-tail leaves, and a sharp blade from trimming the willow bark.  Not too difficult.

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #9 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 2:16pm

Here's the wooden shoes used in the north of Spain they call it "madreñas" i think they are pretty much like the zuecos used in The Netherlands

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #10 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 2:15pm

Zorrro,
I recently bought a pair much like these, just the bits of wood sticking out at the soles missing. Mine I will use with a strap of leather in the opening to keep it on. The other kind used around here does not need the leather because the opening is smaller.

English,
You are thinking stone age tools, they would have used easy to get materials, not wood cut and split by hand, I think.
I wonder how you find time for your studies, if I see what you do, your hobbies would fill a week of 9 days.
Succes,

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 2:23pm

I'm actually on half term break at the moment.  No studying to be done really.  And I have a lot of free time normally.
  I've been finding examples of other styles of primitive footwear.  Leaves, reeds, and other plant fibres are what are being used mostly.  I still think that the coiled grass is the way to go, and I was also thinking of sewing a sole of birch bark to the sandals.  It is very decay resistant, and I think it would work well.  It would also increase the durability of the sandals.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #12 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 7:01pm

here are my leather shoes.

not primitive but hey they work

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 5:18am

They are fairly primitive.  If you made them from buckskin, then they would be totally primitive.  Nice design.

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #14 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 11:30am

What do you mean by "primitive"? Doesn't have to be ugly and sloppy. Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar)