Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bow and Drill firemaking (Read 4069 times)
Alan

Legendary (Sort of) Slinger

USA
Bow and Drill firemaking
Feb 6th, 2005 at 10:38pm

Anyone ever successful?  It looks so cool, I'm going to make one soon, but I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me some stuff to start, or post pics or brag about their accomplishments...

51!/\/93|2 4/\/|) _||_|9913|2
WWW bobjoey2003 bobjoey2003  
IP Logged

henryblowery
Descens

Raleigh NC
Re: Bow and Drill firemaking
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2005 at 11:41am

well i have a few times.
for the spindle i use a large diamiter stick and squere it up in the middle(it makes it easer for the string to grip it) for the baring block i use a wood block with a impression or a peace of bamboo(the bamoo dos'nt alwas work sometimes the joint breaks but when i does work it workes good) for the harth i just use any soft wood that i find lying on the ground and cut a v notch in it and drill a little impression at the bottom of the v with a knife i havent done it for a long time but i THINK that the spindle is suposd to be hard wood and the harth is supost to be soft wood but i could EASALY be wrong english can probably corect my mistakes and add some other stuff

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/thaiche/Henrybloweryssig.jpg[/IMG]
WWW henryblowery  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2005 at 6:44pm

haha ask english

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 11:43am

I don't use bow drill.  Ergo, I can't properly give any tips.
  However, the hardwood/softwood idea is a little wrong.  It's not at all true: in fact, the hearth and the drill should probably be of the same wood, preferably something soft (willow, alder, poplar) but with the bow drill, even harder woods like birch can work, apparently.  Some people like drills with octagonal crosssections, so the bow grips it better, but I don't really know much about bow drills to be honest.

IP Logged

henryblowery
Descens

Raleigh NC
Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 12:03pm

i thoult i might be wrong with the spindle and the harth but i got to disagre with the squaring it up in the middle dos'nt help i'v alwase found it helped me but you can try it both ways and decide what works for you

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/thaiche/Henrybloweryssig.jpg[/IMG]
WWW henryblowery  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2005 at 1:46pm

I think that the bow drill is not simple enough, basically.
  I've been experimenting with alder recently, as a fire by friction wood. It's probably my favourite.  The fire plough works astoundingly quickly, as does the hand drill, surprisingly.  I'll try the bow drill soon.  Also, alder has a nice reddish colour, which I like.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 9:11am

I helped cut down loads of Norway maple branches in the front garden a few months ago, and I thought recently that I would make use of the wood.  So I tried to make a bow-drill out of it - and it works brilliantly.  I got an ember in twenty seconds.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #7 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 5:46pm

i got some flint and steel and have been trying my best to start fires. I have only made one or two. Its very very hard.

what would people around 1300 ad germany use to start fires?

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 11:20am

Flint and steel, all inside a tinder box, with a sulphur "match", and some tinder.  It's a bit complicated.  That was used right up until the invention of the match.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #9 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 3:50pm

cool thanks

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #10 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 6:13pm

for flint and steel firemaking you need a flint, a steel (high carbon) an old file will work great Grin and some charred coton or linen fabric (to make charred cloth you have to burn cotton fabric pieces inside a tin can over a fire, with a little hole on the lid, so oxygen and fumes can escape, once smoke stop getting out of the hole, take the can out of the fire and plug the hole, and let the whole thing cool down) and some tinder.
Charred cloth will take the sparks and start to glow an ember, put this on a tinder nest and blow it to get flames.

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 8:31pm

or just flick your Bic

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #12 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 1:34am

Quote:
or just flick your Bic

Right! Hellfire, i think fire by friction and fint & steel are nice survival knowledgement, make feel confident, and connect you with the ancient skills of our forefathers... but if i'm going into the wild i carry 3 or 4 electronic jet flame buthane lighters... a lot more practic and a lot less bulky than carrying a heartboard and bow, and a leather cord and drill.... or flint and steel and charred cloth, besides a fairy bulky amount of dry tinder.
(looking forward to Microwave Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation next generation lighters though  Tongue )

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 5:20am

I don't think fire-by-friction is about "connecting with the environment or the ancestors" or some tosh like that.  It's all about self-sufficiency, so that wherever you go you can get a fire going with local materials, even if your lighter runs out of fuel or your matches get too soaked to use.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man)