stiffer,thinner,lines (Read 2043 times)
lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
stiffer,thinner,lines
Jan 30th, 2005 at 2:24pm

my problem with thin sling line's is they tangle to much.
now for myself I have solved,that problem. I made some sling line,s braided out of spider wire. Then sprayed them with three coats of lacquer,makes them nice and stiff.
And for me they dont tangle. Here's a pick of the latest sling made that way ...

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Re: stiffer,thinner,lines
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2005 at 3:58pm

How did you braid fishing line? That must have been very hard to do! Shocked Did you use any special tricks to do it? I wounder if pre-braided fishing line would work also?

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2005 at 4:20pm

One could tow a small car with the amount of 'spiderwire' you have shown.  

The advantage of such material over others is it's low stretch and smaller diameter per given strength.  At such a diameter as you have there, nylon would certainly suffice in both strength and stretch factors.

To take full advantage of spiderwire's small diameter and coefficients of drag....one simply need attatch or tie a cord 'retention loop' in or on the retention cord near the hand grip through which passes the release cord, such that the release cord is prevented from slipping through on release.  Leaving enough room, of course, for the release cord to slide through just enough for the pocket to fully release the ammunition.

This allows one to use the most efficient cord possible without fear of entanglements as the release tab/point always stays near your hand.  It is advantageous as well, to use a retention loop or small washer to keep the cords in contact with one another down near the pocket as well and also provides for a more secure purchase on the ammo.

There are a number of benefits to such a system.....not the least of which is the ability to reload the pocket very quickly with even a minimum of practice.

8)
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2005 at 3:27pm by Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua »  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2005 at 6:55pm

I said braid but really I tied sqaure knots. It took one eve while watching tv. I did forget to mention that it was just 20lb spider wire. but with four strands it came out what I think of as rather sweet. But I do prefer a stiffness, to my slings. I normaly prefer leather.
Techstuff I am glad your tech. works for you. But we are all not you.

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2005 at 7:32pm

Lobohunter, you stated:

"But we are all not you."

Come on......not even a little bit?  Undecided

No,  I read you.  I am sure I often times come across as a 'know it all' regarding the sling.  ( I learn new things all the time....part of the reason I love it here.)

I'm sure that if you do not take my factual remarks too personally....you might learn from them.  It is of no personal consequence to me whether or not these advancements are emulated by others and they are offered as suggestions, rather than commandments.  Being ultra utilitarian by nature....I can understand how naked fact can intone derision, where none exists.

Thanks for the civility check, though.  I could brush up on my etiquette.

Smiley

P.S.  I wasn't joking about towing a small car with the diameter of aramid fiber that is shown.  I hope that my statements were comprehensible about the performance advantages of release cord retention over thicker, stiffer cordage.  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2005 at 9:15pm

That sling looks awesome!

I don't know why but my slings which have thin cords do not tangle much....... The cords are tennis strings made of braided kevlar (1.3 mm) coated with nylon.  May be the nylon coating made the cords stiffer.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2005 at 10:35am

tried the retention loop, nullifies my wide grip.
Cry makes my pretty spirals go away thanks Techstuf

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2005 at 2:44pm

Gun I forgot to tell you my braiding method wich is actuly square knot work. But I use small net shuttles and a winding board

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Kick, Rat Man)