IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Re: clan of the cave bear
Reply #16 - Jan 29th, 2005 at 8:50am

Was King David worth seeing? Iv'e heard that the Alexander movie was pretty bad.

In either move, did the guys using the sling look like they could use one or did they look like most old movies about baseball players and you wondered if the actor could even reach home plate from pitchers mound?

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #17 - Jan 29th, 2005 at 7:48pm

I'd recommand King David.  It is what got me started in slinging!  The slingers in it used mostly underhand, a couple of them were kneeling in battle and were using the helicopter style.  They looked like they know what they were doing and the speed of their rocks seemed fast enough to be deadly.  But then most of us on this forum could probably throw just as good if not better.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #18 - Jan 30th, 2005 at 10:43am

Maybe I'll try and find King David to rent today--we had an ice storm and everything is shut down. Thanks for the info.

IP Logged

RockChucker

Montreal MO.
Reply #19 - Jan 30th, 2005 at 8:50pm

there is a seen   In Crocodile Dundee  where  he  puts some kinda  mixture on the  bad guys?  and  uses a bull roarer  to call in bats   how did he get the mixture on them ??

bendsum bendsum  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #20 - Jan 30th, 2005 at 8:59pm

He snuck up on them at night.

IP Logged

Burro
Tiro

Reply #21 - Jun 19th, 2005 at 11:30am

Hi all,

I like clan of the cave bear too...   it was the reason I got interested in slings. I've also read the second book, well almost, I stopped at 3/4 or so because I was getting anoyed by some unrealistic seeming things. Ayla seems to be "inventing" a lot of stuff in a very short time...  fire making with pyrite and flint, horseriding, transporting things with her horse by dragging two poles along, atlatl....     she even lives with a cave lion....      And second...   Jondolar is described like ...   a perfect man???  he's tall, handsome, sensible, intelligent, brave...    brad pitt of the stone age...     It's more like a women's romance novel or so....
These remarks aside...  I quite like the books, mainly because of the description of primitive techniques.

btw.  If I remember correctly, in Crocodile dundee...  he uses a bullroarer to call his aboriginal buddies   and he atracts the bats' attention to the stinky mixture(which he threw to the bad guys after having sneaked up to them in the night) by making some kind of 'bat-call'.

Bye,

Burro.

IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #22 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 3:13pm

A bat call? What a weird sounding bullroarer. Embarrassed
Bats make clicking and squeeking noises....

Ayla wears her sling around her head. Ja, the only thing I dislike is the mysterious ability of Ayla and Jondalar to invent EVERYTHING ever thought of.  My favourite part of the books is the ceremony in the depths of the cave with Zelandoni. Or the ceremonies with Creb-I adore Creb!

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

Kreelo
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #23 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 11:01pm

I tried to read Clan of the Cave Bear once, but I only got through a few chapters.  I didn't really like it.  I found it was neither realistic enough to be life-like, nor whimsical enough to be fantasy.

As far as movies with slinging, if I remember correctly The Power of One had a scene in which someone attempts to kill the protagonist with a sling.  The only unrealistic thing about it was that his wind up lasted way too long.  Maybe that's why he failed, I don't remember.

IP Logged

Whopperjawed
Novicius

Galax, Va.
Reply #24 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 10:47am

I made my first sling after reading "Clan". The books aside, the quick two stone throw was one that I never got down pat. Some years ago, I was on a job with a deep hole (around 50 feet deep, very steep sides) with a storm water pond in the very bottom. I spent alot of time after work throwing at floating targets. A coworker got interested and made his own sling and for all I know is slinging to this day. Anyway, I did manage to get two stones airborn at the same time two or three times. One thrown high over this hole and the other thrown overhand down into the hole. Tough. In trying to understand Ayla's technique, my mistake was to analyze fiction. Sounds good on paper though. Still get a hankern for roasted mammoth hump from time to time.

IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

Reply #25 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 5:35pm

I would like to taste mammoth and wear its wool on my boots.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #26 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 12:56am

Welcome Whopperjawed.
While the clan is fiction, several members here are able to sling 2 stones in a very short time.
There is even a video of tint showing how to do it.
Sorry, I do not have time now to get you a link, but look through the old topics or use the search function and you will find it.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #27 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 1:07am

Well.....um..... Embarrassed

My technique isn't exactly like Ayla's.  She catches the stones in mid-air and can make them hit the same spot everytime.  I am light years behind that!

anyway, here is the link:

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11158751...

Welcome to the forum!

IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #28 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 11:09am

I've tried that techique, but it's hard. I think my sling is to long for it...or maybe that's just a bad excuse for that I'm not good enough... Roll Eyes I'm practicing on it though...
I also started slinging after reading Clan of the Cave Bear, and I've read all the books later. They're some of my favourite books, and I'm still waiting for the next book.

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

Reply #29 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 2:58pm

Apparently she dies in the last book at the age of 42 or something. Or so thats the idea.
The only thing I disliked was Ayla's and Jondalar's supposed perfections when their flaws are perfectly fine. And I did not enjoy the books as much without Creb.

WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)