Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
ancient non-military uses for the sling (Read 10397 times)
me

I sling therefore I am.

Rowlett, TX, USA
Re: ancient non-military uses for the sling
Reply #15 - Jun 29th, 2005 at 5:22pm

Quote:
While i was talking with this two shepards  about accuracy with the sling  2 mountaineers came in sight more than a hundred yards away,  one of the shepards said he was able to shot down  one of them  with the 1st stone....   Shocked

WOW!! That is so amazing. Did you get to see them sling at all? I'd be interested to see what style they used. Also did you see how long their slings where?

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #16 - Jun 30th, 2005 at 8:48am

Me; Yes, they slung a few stones and they reached over a hundred yards at a given 2 - 4sq meters  spot, their slings were really short , about 15" from pouch to fingers
they threw under arm tilting to overhead almost  horizontally 1 or 2 spins.  slings were balearic style braided (split pouch) made of pita cord (Agave americana)
My sling was 35 " and i could hardly get their  range. and of course my accuracy was a lot worse than theirs  Embarrassed

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #17 - Jun 30th, 2005 at 10:14am

so short slings hmmm.. Most of my slings where real long and it seems that i get the most range with the long ones.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

me

I sling therefore I am.

Rowlett, TX, USA
Reply #18 - Jun 30th, 2005 at 6:13pm

Im seeing a a pattern here, it seems like most of the ancient people preferred shorter slings or maybe I should say the shortest possible sling that could still get the job done. I guess when your life depends on accuracy, as opposed to distance that makes sense. And
to be honest, speaking from my own personal expirence it is surprising how much power one can get from a small sling.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #19 - Jul 1st, 2005 at 1:44pm

in truth the only time i could see using range with a sling is in a battle, or when you got to hit near something to scare it. Maybe slinging into a group of things.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #20 - Jul 10th, 2005 at 1:35pm

Quote:
so short slings hmmm.. Most of my slings where real long and it seems that i get the most range with the long ones.

you are right DTB i guess they were used to those short slings, and their arm strenght was enough to outperform my longer sling. Shepards  also throw stones with their bare hands a lot further and accurate than ordinary people..
i've used short and long slings and longer slings get further easier

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #21 - Jul 10th, 2005 at 9:25pm

short slings also allows a quicker release and reload.  That is important in battle.  Moreover, praticing with a short sling would mean more shots per given time, allowing mastery over the weapon quicker.

IP Logged

Kold
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jul 30th, 2005 at 10:46pm

I started with a 24 inch sling from the beginning around 5 years ago. I then tried the longer slings and found that while they were better for distance but my accuracy was shot to hell. I dont play with the long ones anymore. They also made my arm feel like it was coming out of socket. But , to each his/her own.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #23 - Sep 11th, 2005 at 10:25am

Many Arab and near Eastern people used the sling to drive away lions. Today Indians use them to help drive working elephants and yaks. They simply hit them in the side that they want them to turn.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #24 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 7:06pm

I am going to try shooting flak clouds at large swarms of bad bugs and see if it works. Roll Eyes

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner)