Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
StaticRecurve/PlainsBow (Read 4270 times)
Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
StaticRecurve/PlainsBow
Dec 31st, 2004 at 5:43pm

The static recurve is made from ERC with Red Oak belly laminates (on the recurves) with string grooves. 50 inches long, 48# @ 23 inches. Its a little to bendy in the middle!
The other is a typical Plains Indian bow, Sinew backed Hickory. 50 inches long, 50# @ 23 inches. Hope you like 'em!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Re: StaticRecurve/PlainsBow
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2004 at 7:03pm

Nice work Johnny,  did you make the static recurve for one of your boys?  My 12yr old grew out of his 23" awhile back....bugging me for something new. 

Oh, and is it starting to snow a little down your way?......

(lol)  no room to talk really....

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2004 at 7:49pm

Tech
I've had my fair share of snow for awhile(week of Christmas)! It has been like Spring the past few days, in the 60's!! We Southerners like a little snow for a few days then we're sick of it!

I've got another sinew back bow that's for my son, but not these two.  

Have you moved to Idaho?
Johnny
PS- The amazing thing about these pics is how old I'm looking!

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2004 at 8:19pm

Yeah......the snow reference was actually directed at the snow on your roof.  lol......I'm gettin peppered myself!

Do you find 23" sufficient for decent range/penetration?  
I have never tried such a method.

I may be making the transition in spring.  I have yet to secure certain intellectual property rights which would make the move a better proposition.  The Patent office is backed up to the rafters lately (to put it mildly).  I ran the numbers recently and found, curiously, that the state of Idaho had more patents issued per million residents last year by a margin of at least 2 to 1 over it's nearest competitors.  An invention happy bunch...sounds like my kind of environment!

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2004 at 8:56pm

Tech
23 inches is only good for 20 yards or less. The Plains Indians shot from horseback almost point blank range. Accuracy is really tough past 20 yards. Not to say if you shot every day starting out as a youth you may get real good!
Idaho is a beautiful state. I think the Nez Perce Indians lived in Idaho and Washington state.
....Sorry I'm a little slow tonight, I get it about the snow on my "roof"...!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Dec 31st, 2004 at 10:05pm

That is interesting!  I knew they shot at close range but I never really investigated the draw length to which they were accustomed.  I myself prefer snap shooting but use a 28" draw which is servicable out to 40yrds.  You must be a true stalk hunter!  You would appreciate a VHS movie I have called:  Art Young-Bow hunting legend.   It contains a movie made by Art Young and an associate back in the twenties......the first 'bow hunting' expose' ever made.   True devotion to mastery of the traditional archery style is quite evident as Art makes a great shot on a Dahls sheep and a 40 yarder on a Kodiak bear standing in tall grass which weighed in at 1200lbs.   

I certainly miss Idaho......the Sawtooth are thick with arrow heads and other Native American artifacts.

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

henryblowery
Descens

Raleigh NC
Reply #6 - Jan 1st, 2005 at 8:47am

i'v got a questin how do you fined out the draw weight of a bow and have you ben to paleoplanet? you might like it there

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/thaiche/Henrybloweryssig.jpg[/IMG]
WWW henryblowery  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 1st, 2005 at 10:17am

I like the plains bow a lot.  I've never been keen on large recurves, but they do look pretty.  I'm curious, where did you get your sinew from, for the backing on the plains bow?
  Btw, if the bow bends in the handle, that usually isn't a problem.  If the handle bends as much as the rest of the bow, then you might have a problem, because, due to your hand being there, that is where a compression failure will occur, and then, of course, a break on the back of the bow.  That doesn't look like it will happen with the recurve, but if it does start to crysal on the back, then do something about it, sharpish.
  Anyway, lovely stuff, as per usual.
  If you're interested in western Indian bows, you might like "Making Indian Bows and Arrows: the old way", by Douglas Spotted Eagle.  Contains lots of information, and is well laid out.  Personally, I like long flatbows, with at least 26" draw, rather than shorter bows.  Not much opportunity for horseback buffalo running at the moment.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #8 - Jan 1st, 2005 at 11:42am

Henryblowery
After you get a stave tillered to the point of stringing it to brace height(6 inches for a long bow), you start removing wood slowly till you reach desired draw weight. At least that is my style.

English
I get my sinew from 3 Rivers Archery. They are located in Indiana. I've also bought some sinew from a dealer in New York. Glad you like the bows!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

henryblowery
Descens

Raleigh NC
Reply #9 - Jan 1st, 2005 at 7:31pm

yea but how do you tell how many pounds it is?

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/thaiche/Henrybloweryssig.jpg[/IMG]
WWW henryblowery  
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #10 - Jan 1st, 2005 at 8:10pm

I use a regular bathroom scale and my tillering stick. Have you ever seen  this in "The Bowyers Bible Vol 1"? That book is the Bible of bowmaking.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Jan 1st, 2005 at 9:49pm

Johnny, what are your thoughts on a take down recurve?  Have you ever considered tackling construction?  I cannot get over the amazing power and speed in such a small package.   A zebra twist fast flight string and carbon arrows.....Fssssst.   I am trying NAP's new quikspin vanes and am impressed with performance....(not with price).   NAP is really coming along in exploiting the physics of arrow flight.  

I really like Hoyt's new Gamemaster recurve in black and maple......it holds 62lbs at 28" and you don't even know it's in your backpack during the hike in.  

I really wish I had the time to get my hands dirty with some real down to earth traditional bow craft.   I am a diehard believer in Asbell's 'Become the arrow' philosophy.....when one really grasps the concept.....even a quickly strung, camp fire cured stick bow can work wonders!   Johnny, as you probably can attest, once one 'becomes the arrow'.....one can pick up virtually any bow in a broad range of styles and draw weights and lengths and cast a good arrow in no time!    It shouldn't be much longer and I will have something interesting to share with you regarding my aforementioned work... Wink  

I just sold my CatquiverIII on ebay to a guy in hawaii who owns a large tract of land and hunts boar.  I have a modified little beauty now that really allows for a quick and silent arrow release.  I have a good collection of NdFeB magnets and have managed to rubber coat them and apply them to an old favorite hip quiver.  Those Neo's really hold on great to broadhead/field point tips with zero snags when it comes time for those rare moments that one needs to get another one out fast.  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #12 - Jan 2nd, 2005 at 8:57am

Tech
I've got 2 Osage billets that are around 15 years old(hard as a rock!) that would make a perfect take down. I've never made one but would like to with these billets. I've made a bow out of 2 billets(not a take down) in the past and it wasn't to much throuble. I think I'll give it a try!
My wood stash has really increased lately. I had a friend who was clearing some of his land and he let me have all the felled trees. I got a perfect stovepipe straight Osage tree and lots of Hickory, Shagbark Hickory, and Eastern Red Cedar.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)