Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Butchering (Read 2566 times)
nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Butchering
Dec 11th, 2004 at 6:15pm

I'm thinking of going out after elk and deer this year. And if I'm successful I want to process the entire animal myself. Cutting it into bite sized pieces isn't that hard, however, I would like to have a little more finess than that.

Anyone know of some good videos, books, or online informational sources that would help?

I also have a meat cutter friend that I may bug to tutor me, but he lives a couple of hours drive from here.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Re: Butchering
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2004 at 7:36pm

John and geri mcpherison"  Naked into the Wilderness book 1 has a great step by step process for butchering game. The book also have alot of other great information too. It is about 25 dollars. Money well spent.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

DCR

Cute slogan pending. ~Management

Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2004 at 8:13pm

They have also consolidated all their books into a single volume. I had it until someone I lent it to moved away with it. I think it was simply called "Primitave Living Skills--Naked Into the Wilderness". I'd say it's the best thing out there in print. It covers every single aspect of primative living.
  Those two actualy live the life for stretches at a time so they know what they're talking about.
  They describe butchering large game with simple stone flakes in a precise manner.

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2004 at 8:27pm

I'm not sure where you live but contact your local rod and gun club. Around here every season they get some of the butchers from the local places to come out to the gun club and give a couple of free sessions on butchering game. The butchers usually do it as a charity type thing to increase goodwill towards the supermarkets. Anyway, a person can learn from following a book but knowing the theory and having practice are sometimes very different.

Just a suggestion.

Oh and make sure you get some good knives and put a really sharp blade on them. Even my skinning knives that are handmade damascus steel are dull as hell after a moose or deer.

IP Logged

DCR

Cute slogan pending. ~Management

Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2004 at 12:14am

I use a Schrade to butcher deer and wild hog. That thing stays pretty sharp even after butchering three hogs the same day. It surprised me, too. The knife I had before the Schrade had to be sharpened before every butchering.

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #5 - Dec 12th, 2004 at 12:39am

I've dressed pigs for pit cooking (hawaiian style) and I've dressed plenty of foul and small game, but I've never fully butchered and packaged big game. I was at the sports store this morning asking about their book and video selection dealing with butchering. The guys behind the counter wondered why in the world I'd want to process the animal myself when I could have it professionally done. I told them I'm one of those people who like to learn how to do things the hard way. It's a shame that so many hunters know little more than how to pull the trigger. I guess the only way I'm going to learn is to do it. I'm going to start with deer and work my way up to elk.

I dunno, Butchering is one of those skills that are quite valuable, and rare. I've already decided I want to take my first large animal with my bow. And I feel an obligation to be able to fully process the animal on my own with as little waste as possible before I send any future harvests to professional meat cutters.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2004 at 6:17pm

Quote:
And I feel an obligation to be able to fully process the animal on my own with as little waste as possible before I send any future harvests to professional meat cutters.

You will proably waste more by yourself than if you took it to a butcher. It is good to know how to butcher deer. We get about 2 or 3 deer a year (me and my dad). We butcher all our deer for a long time. Then we took it to a real butcher and got so much more meat out of it. They get everthing off of those deer we take them. We are very pleased with their severices.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2004 at 6:34pm

In the field, you'll need to clean your kill and transport it back to place where you can butcher it. At least that's how I do it. Get a Wyoming knife, a big plastic bag for the interesting organs, and always hunt uphill.

How do you plan to get an elk home? Do you have a horse, or a 4X4?

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #8 - Dec 13th, 2004 at 8:06pm

I always hunted on horseback for moose but I think if you had two or three people you could tie each set of legs together and run a pole through. Then one guy could grab each end and the third could spell them off when they got tired (all the time probably).

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #9 - Dec 13th, 2004 at 8:29pm

If I kill something as large as an elk I'm going to quarter it and bone it out in the field. Then I'm going to pack out each quarter. I'll hang the quarters in game bags and let the coyotes have the guts.  I do have to show evidence of sex, So I'll probably leave the genitalia attatched to one quarter, or, if I'm going for bulls, I'll have the head and rack. Either way it will be a lot of work, even after I get it out. But I think it's valuable knowledge worth working for.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)