Send Topic Print
Another new idea? (Read 1271 times)
KnollSlinger

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger

Chandler, Arizona, USA
Another new idea?
Dec 6th, 2004 at 6:46pm

Again I could not sleep, this time all night.  Here is idea:

Take a pole, say a golf club minus the club part, attach one line to end (opposite handle) attach using line that can be cut but will not normally break under tension.

At end of line, tie on a lead weight.

Swing this thing like a sling, but have a sword mounted comming out of ground at 90degrees from target.

Then line hits sword, cuts off weight and it proceeds to target.  Timing is critical to get maximum energy.

Has advantage of only one line, automatic release to target, and staff sling.

If sword not available, can stretch piano wire from tree limb to stake in ground.  This can cut the line.

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger&&Who can beat me?

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Re: Another new idea?
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2004 at 8:11pm

I was thinking about making a new slinger like this. Picture a wooden handle about 18-24 inches long. Attach a regular 50 inch sling to the end. Now I just need a way to trigger and release the one end. I was thinking that I would tie a loop in the release end of the sling, then have a latch through the loop. Pull down on the trigger to release.

I just think that a handle would increase the power, I think you would swing it like a sling around to gain power. Not like a staff sling. Kinda a hybrid of the two.

IP Logged

KnollSlinger

Chandler, Arizona, USA
Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2004 at 8:13pm

Yes, sort of like a baseball swing or a golf swing, but maybe with a full body spin too

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2004 at 11:58pm

Right. Now I need a brilliant and easy way to rig a release.

IP Logged

KnollSlinger

Chandler, Arizona, USA
Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2004 at 10:48am

I think this could be dangerous.. if it does not release in good time could it hit yourself?

I think the staff sling is good because it autoreleases.

There should be a way to to "turn on" and "turn off" the auto release, perhaps by a catch at the end operated by a trigger similar to what you suggest, but with the saftey of not releasing until the momentum carries the rock "over" and beyond the stick in the direction it is pointing.

But I still like the idea of thowing the line with the shot.. especially if it is piano wire!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner)