Send Topic Print
knappable material (Read 4067 times)
henryblowery
Descens

Raleigh NC
knappable material
Dec 3rd, 2004 at 10:40am

i was wandering if there is any knappable material other than
flint becus i live in central north carolina and dont think that there is any flint there

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/thaiche/Henrybloweryssig.jpg[/IMG]
WWW henryblowery  
IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Re: knappable material
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2004 at 12:14pm

Absolutely! Chert and obsidian are also good.

IP Logged

slingafterdinner
Tiro

yay, i got one of these

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2004 at 12:45pm

wat do chert and obsidian look like?

whatever

IP Logged

britishslinger

slings the handheld arlilery

Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2004 at 1:21pm

the aboriginys knapped glass they kept taking it so the settlers had to give them glass as a n offering to get them to leave the glass being used

listen to old people

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2004 at 2:51pm

Oh there are loads.  Glass is great, but crumbles some.  Chert is basically flint - and it probably is around your area, or near to it.  Novaculite is apparently ok, and you can even knap basalt if you wanted to.  But I'd give glass a try - it is perfectly homogenous (what you want), with pretty much no flaws.  Obsidian is volcanic glass, nearly perfect, but does often contain many flaws.  Still the best natural knappable material though.

IP Logged

henryblowery
Descens

Raleigh NC
Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2004 at 5:55pm

what does chert and flint look like if i was to pick it up in a feld or stream

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/thaiche/Henrybloweryssig.jpg[/IMG]
WWW henryblowery  
IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 3rd, 2004 at 6:30pm

ahhh.
chert

its petrified mud basically. it has a slightly grainy texture, and is gray.

around here we call it hornstone.

tried to get some flakes of f a cobble. i need some copper rod to get it done,

IP Logged

britishslinger

Reply #7 - Dec 4th, 2004 at 2:53am

i found ain teresting stone its chert on one side and flint on the other

listen to old people

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #8 - Dec 4th, 2004 at 3:06am

My sister is going to school for jewelery design and is doing a project using obsidian. We talked about it today. Anyway, I told her that my dad has some pieces of artificial obsidian somewhere. They are red and yellow mixes in color. He got them in new mexico, they were created by the atomic bomb testing. The blast melts the desert sand into obsidian. If I can find a piece I want to make a knife with it. Anyone else ever seen this stuff??

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 4th, 2004 at 4:33am

Now that would be cool.  A Los Alamos knife.  It's not really artificial obsidian, just obsidian made incredibly quickly.  Very cool if you could make a knife.
  Petrified mud eh?  I heard a slightly different idea, but it was regarding flint, which forms in chalk cliffs.  It has something to do with dead animals - it was in a book I bought from Will Lord, probably England's best knapper.  I'll see if I can find it.
  Chert is typically grey, flint is typically black, but you can get honey coloured flint, black chert, grey flint, and many other colours.  There isn't much difference between them, but flint is usually better quality, especially if it's pure black.  If there are no flaws, hitting it will cause it to ring like a bell.  There are usually many flaws.
  Flint/chert tend not to be pick-up-able from streams or rivers in large quantities.  It will not be good quality, and will likely be in the form of small pebbles or cobbles, rather than large nodes.  Where I live, walking through farmer's fields, you can pick up lovely big bits of flint, and a lot of the medieval and even Victorian architecture has flint inlaid, or even whole walls of flint.  It's such a waste.

IP Logged

britishslinger

Reply #10 - Dec 4th, 2004 at 5:17am

i went to cambridge and the walls are made of flint but there are so many flaws

listen to old people

IP Logged

DCR

Cute slogan pending. ~Management

Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
Reply #11 - Dec 6th, 2004 at 1:56am

According to "FLINTKNAPPING: Making and Understanding Stone Tools" by J.C. Whittaker, flint and chert are compositionaly identical. Chert tends to vary in color from bone white to dark grey and usualy has more striations and inclusions. Flint usualy stays in the dark colors and is a little more homogenous.
  Obsidian, as mentioned by others on this post, is volcanic glass and is simply joyful to work with. It flakes beautifuly with nice, even scars.
I started the craft with pieces of broken mirrors and the bottoms of particular beer bottles. Commercially made glass flakes as well as obsidian but you have to experiment with the different kinds.

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #12 - Dec 6th, 2004 at 12:13pm

Check out these guys:
http://www.ncgems.com/
They seem to be in your area. Even a phone call could answer some of your questions.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 6th, 2004 at 1:14pm

That's a really good book - goes into massive detail.  If you want to knap, or want to know about knappable materials, then buy that book.

IP Logged

DCR

Cute slogan pending. ~Management

Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
Reply #14 - Dec 6th, 2004 at 6:04pm

English is right. I've looked at just about every stinkin' book on the subject and I must say that "FLINTKNAPPING" has got to be the bible of the skill. Over 300 pages with illustrations put together by anthropologists and enthusiasts who not only talk the talk, but walk the walk. Good stuff, Maynard!

For anyone interested, the ISBN is 0-292-79083-X

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar)