Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
European and Eastern clubs and cudgels (Read 3068 times)
Ceeden
Novicius

European and Eastern clubs and cudgels
Dec 2nd, 2004 at 2:55am

I'm looking for pictures, illustrations and drawings of clubs and cudgels that were used in Europe and Eastern cultures in warfare during the last few thousand years. Does anyone know of any good websites or books that have lots of pictures? I've found some weapons makers, armouries and suppliers online that have some replica clubs, however they all tend to be very similar in nature.

Can anyone help out with pictures of the following specific clubs as well? 

1) Cudgels / clubs shod and banded with iron and metal (not maces).

2) Cudgels / clubs used during "The Cudgel War", which was a peasant uprising in Finland in the late 16th Century. The Finnish word for the Cudgel War is Nuijasota. It is named after the clubs that peasants used as weapons. These spiked clubs were very effective against soldiers' armor.

Does anyone know the Finnish name for the cudgels that were used? If Nuijasota means Cudgel War, then the name of the cudgel must be something similar.

3) Dabus: An Arabic / Islamic club or mace that consists of a piece of wood studded with nails.

4) Palitsa / Oslop: A large Russian cudgel with iron spikes. This primitive weapon is seen in illustrations of peasants fighting the French during the Napoleonic invasion of 1812.

5) Baculus: A Latin term for a heavy hardwood club or staff with protruding knobs, and in some cases sheathed with metal, to be used as a mace. In civilian life the term was also used to describe the wayfarer's staff and the ordinary walking stick.

In terms of semantics, a baculus is defined as a staff, especially one that symbolizes authority. The term baculus, or baculum, is Latin for staff. Used in combat throughout Europe until well after the middle ages, the baculus was a heavy, hardwood club with a knotty head used for striking. While not as durable as a metal headed mace, the baculus could still inflict significant concussion damage to an armoured or un-armoured opponent. It was a popular weapon among conscripted soldiers because it was a relatively inexpensive weapon and easily obtained. It was common practice for soldiers using a baculus to carve and engrave the wood with pictures and marks recounting battles in which they had fought. This might explain how the term baculus came to mean a symbol of authority; many staves carried as ceremonial items are also ornately carved, often with images retelling history or military conquests

Thanks for reading.

Danny
Sydney Australia

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Re: European and Eastern clubs and cudgels
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 11:03am

That's some interesting stuff there.
  There is at least one picture of a baculus in the Bayeux Tapestry, and they are thought to originate from the Roman baton of vine that symbolised authority in Roman armies (correct me if I'm wrong.)  I'm not certain of anything in eastern European history, apart from that of scandinavia:  there were many peasant uprisings in Finland, Sweden and Norway during the sixteenth century, and the two main weapons (that I know of) are clubs, as you mentioned, and crossbows.  Both were used right up until the 19th century, because Scandinavia was still a wild and dark place until then.  Anyway, I know nothing much about the clubs themselves, only that they were used.  However....
  I would suggest looking at Josef Alm's European Crossbows: a Survey, which, despite being a good book and survey, contains many pictures of warfare in 16th century scandinavia, and beyond:  Crossbows are mostly what I note, although it is probable that clubs and cudgels are shown.  I will check my copy so you don't buy it in vain.  I'll get back to you.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 7:20pm

in hans talhoffers book he has a fight between a man and woman. the man has a club and stands in a pit. woman a sock with a rock in it and runs around outside the pit. if she can pull him out she wins. he her in he wins.  the clubs in that book look pretty cool in fact. I want one of there 2 handed fighting shields.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

S_ALLEN
Descens

N.Y.
Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 10:22pm

They used a weapon called Goedendag in Flanders in the thirteen hundreds you'll find some info here.
http://www.liebaart.org/wapens_e.htm

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2004 at 1:05am

Ahh, next to the 'ole jailhouse shiv, the rock-ina-sock is one of the best in my book. So simple yet so fun.
One time this guy I worked with got in deep trouble because there was a ERT (swat team here in canada) raid on his house because his roomate was selling pot. They found a rock-ina-sock under his bed and charged him with having a restricted weapon(I think the law is anyone who has a weapon that uses a joint to add mechanical advantage who is not involved in martial arts, so nunchukas, flails and rocks in socks). Later they dropped the charged but I think that was because who wants to present a stinky old sweat sock with a rock in it in court? Seriously, you would look like an idiot.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2004 at 1:29am

Quote:
...raid on his house because his roomate was selling pot....a weapon that uses a joint to add mechanical advantage...

How on earth would THAT give the sock any mechanical advantage? Cheesy

IP Logged

Ceeden
Novicius

Bayeux TRe: European and Eastern clubs and cudgels
Reply #6 - Dec 3rd, 2004 at 3:23am

Anyone have a nice BIG pic of the baculus in the Bayeux Tapestry they can post?

Regarding the Goedendag, its more of a staff weapon / polearm than a club and I've been to that website already. Thanks anyway.

Danny

IP Logged

britishslinger

slings the handheld arlilery

Reply #7 - Dec 3rd, 2004 at 7:09am

they will start warning kids abount the christmas stockings on the end of there bed

listen to old people

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #8 - Dec 3rd, 2004 at 9:01am

Quote:
Ahh, next to the 'ole jailhouse shiv, the rock-ina-sock is one of the best in my book. So simple yet so fun.

Oh yes, give thanks for regional differences. Here in the states, you're more likely to find a sock with a doorknob in it, or several doorknobs. The old "Doorknob in a gym sock" is a bygone favourite of bums and gang members! Thank goodness for the old days!

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris)