Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
plants and thier uses (Read 15994 times)
knight

blargh~

Philadelphia
plants and thier uses
Nov 29th, 2004 at 12:48pm

well you can use flax to make your bow string
jute to make rope, and well thats all i know

...&&&&
xrpgknightx xrpgknightx  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Re: plants and thier uses
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 1:08pm

Come on, you must know more than just that.  There are loads of plants to know if you want to be known as a survivalist.  Edible plants, cordage plants, medicinal plants, &c.

IP Logged

knight

blargh~

Philadelphia
Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 1:20pm

well name some and how to make the stuff

...&&&&
xrpgknightx xrpgknightx  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 1:25pm

Take clematis for instance; the bark can be used as cordage, tinder for firew by friction.  The actual plant can be used as a good hearth for fire-by-friction drills, and as a good fishing rod.
  Willow can be used as a headache cure (the bark, sap, and leaves contain the stuff that is the main constituent of aspirin), and saplings, suckers, &c, can be used as fire-by-friction drills and hearths, as well as arrows, and a lot of other wood uses.  Then there are edible plants: hawthorne leaves can be eaten, nettles leaves, once cooked, can be eaten, mallow thickens soups, and there are loads and loads of others.  Get out there with a field guide to plants and find some, and maybe get a good survival book that will tell you about edible plants.  And other uses, of course.

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 1:35pm

Around here we have a little shrub called oceanspray(I think) the natives used to use it. They would make arrows and nails and such. When green it like any other shrub but when it dries its like iron wood. Hard as hell. Cut it off at a 45 and let it dry and its sharp too.

IP Logged

knight

blargh~

Philadelphia
Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 1:58pm

wow now i need a feild guide for sure or i can just guess and hope for the best

...&&&&
xrpgknightx xrpgknightx  
IP Logged

Shaun
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Pleasant Hope, Mo
Reply #6 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 5:37pm

Camping & Wilderness Survival
by Paul Tawrell
Is a good survival guide. It has a pretty good edible plant section in the back, but I've had the best luck with books only about edible plants  and stuff put out by the missouri dept of conservation because it's about what's found in my area.

<?php&& $id = $_GET[

IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 5:40pm

I prefer swamp milkweed in October, when the string or cord is at its peak in potential strength.

dont eat locoweed. it kills some people who hike in the Grand Canyon.

watercress is pretty decent

thats some of what i know about plants.

IP Logged

knight

blargh~

Philadelphia
Reply #8 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 5:55pm

how do u make bow string from flax

...&&&&
xrpgknightx xrpgknightx  
IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 5:59pm

Mr.Knight

I only have a seventeen hundreds to about seventeen twenty view on making anything from flax.

You need to ret the flax, break it over the flax brake, i think crush it, then card, clean, and other such grooming procedures to it, then you need a drop spindle and some braidin g knowledge, and some beeswax.

i suppose that summarizes it, at least what i doa nyway

IP Logged

knight

blargh~

Philadelphia
Reply #10 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 6:10pm

um i did not understand how to do that i will just hand spin it

...&&&&
xrpgknightx xrpgknightx  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 11:28am

Have you got flax growing near you?

I find that the best survival guide is Ray Mears Outdoor Survival Handbook, at least, in Europe.  It contains all the information you need to live (not just survive) primitively in northern Europe, and it contains lots of stuff about plants.
  And no, you can't just guess what plants do what.  Or maybe you could, but.... it would be incredibly difficult.
  Bushcraft by Ray Mears is also very good.  Lots of good information, and not just for Europe, but the world.  The problem is that it is not geared towards living in the wilderness, rather, hiking through it.
  And there is a good book about plants on www.hollowtop.com, Botany in a Day or something like that.  One of my friends has it, and it seems good.  I might buy it someday.
  Oceanspray seems like a nice plant.

IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 6:20pm

flax may be nice for a bowstring,but anything else i like to make is out of mohair or wool.

mohair is a very strong shiny fiber from angora goats, its expensive.

but we have quite a few angora goats, if anyone would like a pic we got some.

i think we have about two hundred of them or so...

i think ill make a thread out of this......

IP Logged

britishslinger

slings the handheld arlilery

Reply #13 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 5:39am

i have three ray mears books the best one is his first one the survival handbook its more about living in nature than surviving what i do is primitive living skills not survival what i and i suppose english do is all about living in confidence and harmony with nature rather than 'pitting myself against nature and fighting the elements in the mear struggle to survive' and all that crap. I go on hollowtop .com a bit and he says it all better than i ever can.Anyway when spring coms around get some woodsorrel down your gullet lovly apple tastle they say not to eat too much because of the acid in it but iv  eaten handfulls of the stuff and never sufferedc any bad effects, burned or dryed coltsfoot ground up makes salt substutut and shepards purse makes a good pepper substutut jack by the hedge makes a good garlick flavour , and steamed beech leeves are nice sandwich fillers, lightly crushed reed stems left for a few days depending on the moisture makes a sugery gum

listen to old people

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 1:00pm

That Outdoor Survival Handbook is great actually.  Just great.  And so is hollowtop.com - that guy, well, he's just about the coolest person I can think of.  Inspirational. 
I have tried a load of wild foods simply suggested by Ray Mears.  Arrowhead root is my favourite, simply because there is quite a lot of it near where I live, it's actually tasty and familiar, in that it tastes of potatoes.  Lovely.  Beech leaves are actually quite nice as well, even just fresh ones.  And whenever I see a hawthorne in spring, I just pull off some leaves and have a snack.  It's a very good book you know.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner)