Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
A wicked shield (Read 6461 times)
Mike_R
Funditor

A wicked shield
Nov 24th, 2004 at 2:56pm

I realize that it's not really a weapon by I was down by the old swamp yesterday and I spodded some critters I had all but forgotten about. Turtles. Maybe 15 years ago when I was a kid some people dumped their pet tank turtles in the swamp. Freed of their small habitats and the fact that there are no turtle eating preditors around they have being doing pretty good. At one point my friend and I tried to eliminate the little bastards with dynamite but we failed. Over the years they have gotten huge! Their shells are about two feet long by 1.5 feet wide. Some look twice that big but I havn't gotten close to those ones yet. They look like pet store turtles with the red and yellow bands on their eyes only huge. I guess the fact that they have room to stretch out led to them getting so big.

I think they would make a great buckler, now that I'm thinking about it there are probably lots of good uses for them.

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Re: A wicked shield
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2004 at 4:25pm

You could probably easily make a turtle trap from a chicken wire cage, then try and kill it without it snapping you. Personally, I'd make a helmet from it. That'd kick butt.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2004 at 4:45pm

Ya no kidding these bastards probably have a wicked bite. I figured I would use my rubber dingie, paddle out into the swamp then use my patented homemade depth charges and a pole with a hook on it. I wonder how to butcher a turtle? What parts do you eat?

And yes a helmet would be the bomb.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2004 at 8:30pm

well blowing the hell out of them would mostlikly ruin your shell. my friend likes to eat turtle i could ask him what parts you eat. I have had it once or twice and like it but i have never tryed it.

you mostlikely have some painted turtles or read eared sliders. i have a painted turtle and he is very friendly. likes shrimp. Turtles are some pretty cool predators.

i wonder how strong a turtle shield buckler would be? when you get your self a turtle and make a shield do some testing and let me know how it gos.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 24th, 2004 at 8:41pm

a ruel of thumb when dealing with turtles.
once they bite they wil never let go
never
so what you got to do is to bait \a stick with giblets or something, find it, it will snap the stick, then cut off its head and crush it because a separated turtle head will still bite.

then eat it

i think they taste best in a pressure cooker but u decide

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #5 - Nov 24th, 2004 at 8:46pm

well he boiles them and frys them. i cant rember how i had the turtle. maybe cut up in some soupe would be good?

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 24th, 2004 at 9:13pm

i rea  d a book once about a guy a ate turtles and eggs and such
good book

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #7 - Nov 24th, 2004 at 9:23pm

The charges don't blow them to bits, they make a lot of shock waves under the water, it works on fish so I think it should work on turtles too.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 4:02am

Yeah, that's the basic principle of grenade fishing.  However, I thought that the shockwaves work because they rupture the swim bladders of the fish, and turtles have no swim bladders, so... it might not work.  Be nice to give it a go though.

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #9 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 5:28am

Quietly paddle upto one, raise spear, spear them through brain as hard as you can, drag them behind boat to shore, when on shore, decapatate, and then figure out how the heck you're gunna eat it.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 9:20am

Yeah, that's a good plan.

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #11 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 12:48pm

Mike, where do you live? In the US midwest they have snapping turtles, they are large, gnarly and dangerous. Their shells would make great shields.

You know there's a disease you can get from handling the striped turtles.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #12 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 1:04pm

well if you dont land the bomb on the turtle it wont blow them up.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #13 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 1:57pm

I live in canada, in BC. I had a turtle that looked just like these ones only little. You had to be careful to wash your hands after handling him so as not to get salmonella(sp?) like raw chicken. I wouldn't suggest people go out and kill turtles but these ones are not native to where I live so I figure what the hell.

IP Logged

DCR

Cute slogan pending. ~Management

Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
Reply #14 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 11:20pm

Wow...A turtle shell buckler would really shake things up in my fencing class. I've collected average-size turtle shells out in the woods from turtles that have died. They are well-dried and sun-bleached and make great bowls. Pretty hard stuff, too. I wonder how many strikes from a side-sword on the shell's edge it would take to finaly destroy it? ???

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)